Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taskmaster (Greg Davies sets some comedians daft challenges!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭appledrop

Honestly one of the worst episodes of all time.

The worst prize task of all time. Utter shïte. This part of the show has gone to the dogs, nobody bothers trying anymore.

Graffiti task was so uninteresting. All that time for two five second payoffs. Airplane task probably sounded good on paper but it was shoulder shruggingly boring. The funniest part was a callback to last week, which says it all.

And the final task is a classic guessing game, a poor one.

Yawn. Absolute dirge of an episode.

I'm glad its not just me, I'd have more fun watching paint dry.

Not one interesting or funny bit in whole episode.

The episodes have been brilliant last few weeks but tonight was a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Not the best but didn't think it was terrible either. First episode of the series still the worst for me.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Really enjoyed the safety announcement and metronome tasks. The rest were as bad as anything there's been in this series so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I liked it... Poor Charlotte ending up like a kids TV presenter every task is pretty funny.

The metronome episode was great, the others mediocre. Still ok though.

It’s true about Mike. Nothing fazes him out. The reaction to the metronome task was horror or confusion from most - as you would expect - he was unfazed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭adam240610

This was one of my favourite episodes of the show, in stark contrast to most of the other posters in this thread, although the two beers might have had an influence

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Genuinely my favourite episode in ages, thought it was hilarious throughout! Can't comprehend how others felt so strongly against it?

Best live task in a long time too, great and natural interaction between Greg and the contestants. The airline announcement was weak in execution but a good task, as Mike proved!

Warmed to Jamali and Sarah, and good to see her reeled in a bit by Lee and Mike. Really like Charlotte too, accepting her destiny as children's presenter is a fun theme over the series.

Again, Mike is the best contestant they've ever had, and it'll take a lot to change my mind on that. Maybe I was just in the mood to laugh this morning but I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Whatever about this episode which the prize task was genuinely awful, the last two series have seen a significant falling of a cliff on the prize task. Outside of one or two blips, they've been roundly awful throughout. I think back to Series 7 and the prize tasks that Rhod Gilbert, Phil Wang, Jessica Knappett etc. brought in and they're leagues above the current ones. I really think they need to find a way to improve them because they're slowly becoming a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think this season has been okay so far. Not great and teetering on the verge of good (mostly because of Mike), but it's okay. I think Charlotte Ritchie was a mistake though. I know they try to vary it up a bit so it's not just comedians but maybe actors from comedy shows too, but almost all laughs in relation to her have come from others making fun of her. Even when Greg makes fun of her for being like a children's presenter, she has no comeback, no back and forth.

Sian Gibson and Katherine Parkinson at least made up for it in their tasks. Charlotte's have been mediocre.

Lee and Sarah have been a bit disappointing at times too, I expected more from Lee especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Whatever about this episode which the prize task was genuinely awful, the last two series have seen a significant falling of a cliff on the prize task. Outside of one or two blips, they've been roundly awful throughout. I think back to Series 7 and the prize tasks that Rhod Gilbert, Phil Wang, Jessica Knappett etc. brought in and they're leagues above the current ones. I really think they need to find a way to improve them because they're slowly becoming a waste of time.

I think lockdown may have been a factor here - it limited them to what they could make or find lying about the house. And even then something like Mark Watson bringing his bath, toilet and sink would be frowned upon as it needs removal people, stage crew etc.

To an extent the prize task has continuously been on a slippery slope of people complaining that it's not as good as it used to me. Like you mention the Rhod Gilbert series (hilarious obv) but I can recall on other forums at the time people complaining that the prize task items were tat compared to Frank Skinners £20K watch, Romesh's wedding ring etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The categories aren't great either for the prize tasks.

Best unexpected thing to hang on a wall
    Most satisfying wobbly thing

I do think it's one part of the show that could be revamped

siblers wrote: »
    The categories aren't great either for the prize tasks.

Best unexpected thing to hang on a wall
    Most satisfying wobbly thing

I do think it's one part of the show that could be revamped

I think some gold does come out of it, but they need to revise how they come up with the categories. With wobbly thing, of course most people are going to come up with something jelly-based. Some other categories like the wall one, or most shocking thing bigger than a cat but smaller than a pig.... it just doesn't really work.

The categories work best when they're more likely to be stuff actually owned or used by the contestants. Something they can talk about, rather than just putting a rubiks cube in some jelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Penn wrote: »
    I think some gold does come out of it, but they need to revise how they come up with the categories. With wobbly thing, of course most people are going to come up with something jelly-based. Some other categories like the wall one, or most shocking thing bigger than a cat but smaller than a pig.... it just doesn't really work.

The categories work best when they're more likely to be stuff actually owned or used by the contestants. Something they can talk about, rather than just putting a rubiks cube in some jelly.

Ed Gamble made a very good point in the Podcast that it should actually be things that people want to win and not something thst just fits the brief, the whole concept of the prize task has largely lost its meaning

I never assumed that people actually took that sh1te home, to be honest. The prize task might be past its day, there's only so many ideas little Alex Horne can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I never assumed that people actually took that sh1te home, to be honest. The prize task might be past its day, there's only so many ideas little Alex Horne can come up with.
    They don't have to I believe.. was mentioned in a previous podcast (maybe the one with Alex) that they can just leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭appledrop

Enjoyed tonight's episode, delighted Charlotte did so well.

Yeah, I enjoyed it too even if the tasks were mostly remakes of tasks from previous series. Liked how they were all getting annoyed with Alex!

appledrop wrote: »
    Enjoyed tonight's episode, delighted Charlotte did so well.

She was being compared a good bit to Katherine Parkinson but she has now won 2 shows which is pretty impressive. Its the prize tasks where she has done the poorest, partially because she didn't fully get the concept of those tasks

She's been great on this series, came across very well on the podcast too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

4 photos was best task of the series, premise wise atleast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Alex is a punk ass/little/hairy bitch.
    Very fun episode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

fvp4 wrote: »
    I never assumed that people actually took that sh1te home,

Neither did i. Like i doubt Romesh was going to let someone else take his wedding ring home with them

While it's often understandable, it's also a shame when sometimes some of the funniest moments don't make it into the show.

https://twitter.com/taskmaster/status/1393945081736876034?s=20

Oh my f*cking god... :D

Mike has to be the greatest contestant of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Penn wrote: »
    Oh my f*cking god... :D

Mike has to be the greatest contestant of all time

100%, I spat my tea out just now

They need to find a way to have him on again next series, like a Wildcard Super League Competitor

Impossible act to follow

The Series 12 Lineup is out there..

.. won't spoil it but
    VCM will be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Blindfold walking into bunkers is a wee bit dangerous, someone could have turned their ankle

The real winner of Series 11..

Mike-Wozniak-in-2010-the-OG-Taskmaster-champion.jpg
    (for those who don't know, Mike won the first Taskmaster at Edinburgh Fringe).

Basq wrote: »
    The Series 12 Lineup is out there..

.. won't spoil it but
    VCM will be good!

Might as well make it official!

• Advertisement

An okay series overall. Almost completely saved by Mike though. Christ, imagine if some of his moments had been in front of a studio audience....

And even though it was tighter at the end than it seemed, they frontloaded the series with Sarah's best tasks that by mid-series it was almost out of the question that she wouldn't win.

Good lineup for next series. VCM was definitely on the wishlist for a while. Alan Davis could be good too. Hopefully the last series without an audience. The audience being in the room just always gives the studio bits more energy.

Advertisement