Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

quokula wrote: »
    Is it possible to keep the car turned on with nobody in the driver seat? Me or my partner will often sit in the back seat next to the baby while the other runs into the shop or whatever, but I can’t find any way to keep the radio on or open or close the windows or anything when doing this.

Leave the keys in the car so the car knows they are there & doesn’t give out and after fully stepping out of it (both feet) press on the on/off button on steering wheel & then car will turn back on & stay on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

Bif wrote: »
    . One other question...which model of ID3 matches the Irish spec E-Niro?

I’m not sure. I only really know the spec of the tour. Maybe the tour5 is quite close.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

DermoMIO wrote: »
    Leave the keys in the car so the car knows they are there & doesn’t give out and after fully stepping out of it (both feet) press on the on/off button on steering wheel & then car will turn back on & stay on

Also hook back up the drivers seatbelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is it only the higher spec models that have comfort, sport mode etc?

Picked it up this afternoon but at a friend's house at the minute so have only had a brief spin.

Initial thoughts positive. I was worried that the interior would be very plastic as in some reports but it's fine. Not fussed on the piano black trim though.

Apologies for the use of the units, but after a 50 mile trip (including a few hammering sessions on the bypass road to test the power) I'm showing 2.9 miles per kWh. That's pretty bad! It would indicate as low as 350km for the 77kWh and its a wet but mild May day today. I'm off to Belfast tomorrow so a 250km round trip to find out if things level up a bit.

Overall I'm impressed and I think I'll be chucking in an order. The only decision now is Tour, or Tour 5. I like the idea of a 5 seater as I thought it would hold its value more. But the Tour has the HUD, electric seat adjustment and massage function! I think the only thing the Tour is missing (other than a 5th seat) is the Area View parking and since herself is almost never driving alone it's hardly worth prioritising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

DrPhilG wrote: »

Picked it up this afternoon but at a friend's house at the minute so have only had a brief spin.

Initial thoughts positive. I was worried that the interior would be very plastic as in some reports but it's fine. Not fussed on the piano black trim though.

Apologies for the use of the units, but after a 50 mile trip (including a few hammering sessions on the bypass road to test the power) I'm showing 2.9 miles per kWh. That's pretty bad! It would indicate as low as 350km for the 77kWh and its a wet but mild May day today. I'm off to Belfast tomorrow so a 250km round trip to find out if things level up a bit.

Overall I'm impressed and I think I'll be chucking in an order. The only decision now is Tour, or Tour 5. I like the idea of a 5 seater as I thought it would hold its value more. But the Tour has the HUD, electric seat adjustment and massage function! I think the only thing the Tour is missing (other than a 5th seat) is the Area View parking and since herself is almost never driving alone it's hardly worth prioritising it.

All cars should have the different modes. Theres a button under the centre console to switch them. It's on the right side and called mode I think.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    All cars should have the different modes. Theres a button under the centre console to switch them. It's on the right side and called mode I think.

Found it eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

94% 77kWh Tour.

Bif wrote: »
    Many thanks for the overview and equates with my own presumptions re driving dynamics / age of design / practicalities. Looks are a subjective choice but the ID3 looks better. One thing the E-Niro has in its favour is the seven year warranty and perhaps the old school controls / switches etc. if that's your thing. One other question...which model of ID3 matches the Irish spec E-Niro?

I think the id.3 has everything you want/need Led Matrix lights on higher trims and the Travel assist will hopefully offer me a huge advantage over long motorway commutes, this is the single greatest function for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

Mine shows 143km @ 25%

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

DermoMIO wrote: »
    Mine shows 143km @ 25%

It must be all downhill driving. Very good.

• Advertisement

94% 77kWh Tour.

Nice figures!

Means very little to me in the grand scheme of things though, you're a different driver!

The single most asked question about EVs is, what's the range. And it's the single most un-answerable question lol. So much change depending on the driving style.

Donegal to Belfast today, 85 miles done and used 48% of the 58kWh battery. And that was in Sport and at 80mph on the motorway.

Initial thought...

Pros:
    * Very comfortable seats, miles better than the i3.
    * Nice interior, better than expected.
    * AC works very well. Set to 20 on both sides and the car was very cosy. In the i3 there always seemed to be a slight breeze after it reached temp.
    * Power is great. Certainly feels a little less spicy than the i3 but it's still a rocket. Especially in Sport mode.
    * Very spacious. Front and side windows are nice and big.

Cons:
    * The piano black on the infotainment screen is beyond stupid. The most touched part of the interior after the wheel and they make it out of the most finger-printy substance known to man. D'oh!
    * The fabric interior is nice, the microfiber stuff, but I do wonder how well that would wear though. Light grey and very soft, I wonder in a years time if it would be worn smooth and would stain easily.
    * The phone system seems very poor. No phone button on the wheel, and the touch screen seems a bit awkward. Admittedly I haven't messed around with it too much yet. But I'm comparing to the i3 which has an excellent phone interface. Any tips on using the phone better would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Donegal to Belfast today, 85 miles done and used 48% of the 58kWh battery. And that was in Sport and at 80mph on the motorway.

Initial thought...

Pros:
    * AC works very well. Set to 20 on both sides and the car was very cosy. In the i3 there always seemed to be a slight breeze after it reached temp.
    * Power is great. Certainly feels a little less spicy than the i3 but it's still a rocket. Especially in Sport mode.

Cons:
    * The piano black on the infotainment screen is beyond stupid. The most touched part of the interior after the wheel and they make it out of the most finger-printy substance known to man. D'oh!
    * The fabric interior is nice, the microfiber stuff, but I do wonder how well that would wear though. Light grey and very soft, I wonder in a years time if it would be worn smooth and would stain easily.
    * The phone system seems very poor. No phone button on the wheel, and the touch screen seems a bit awkward. Admittedly I haven't messed around with it too much yet. But I'm comparing to the i3 which has an excellent phone interface. Any tips on using the phone better would be appreciated!

You can set up a screen for the phone and add favorites to the screen. Or press the ID button on the wheel and say "call Jim".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭eagerv

Initial thought...

Pros:

Cons:

Cannot comment on the seats, mine is the basic cloth which seems hardwearing and comfortable.
    I find the phone easy now that I have the screens configured how I like them. Generally the info screen is easy when you get used to it, however agree re the wheel buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭electricus

One thing I forgot to check… can the dotty decal design on the rear pillar be removed easily?

electricus wrote: »
    One thing I forgot to check… can the dotty decal design on the rear pillar be removed easily?

That was my first question...

Apparently its only on the 1st edition cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah the 211 style model I test drive last week didn't have it. I think it looks better without.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Nice figures!

Means very little to me in the grand scheme of things though, you're a different driver!

The single most asked question about EVs is, what's the range. And it's the single most un-answerable question lol. So much change depending on the driving style.

Yup, couldn't agree more. Every driver is different. Historically, my driving style has been efficient, but I was that way with fossil fuelled cars as well.

The OK button on the right side of the steering wheel answers the phone. It might hang up too, not sure.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah the 211 style model I test drive last week didn't have it. I think it looks better without.

Thanks, good to know! I'm unsure but think I prefer it without.

Thanks, good to know! I'm unsure but think I prefer it without.

You can pay extra and get it afaik :D.

• Advertisement

Nice figures!

Battery Life on youtube tested the tour at 15 deg C and average speed was 120 Km/hr with some decent 130 Km/hr stints and got 351 Kms to 3% that's not too shabby. There's not much driver style differences in a motorway stints like this.

Yup, couldn't agree more. Every driver is different. Historically, my driving style has been efficient, but I was that way with fossil fuelled cars as well.

The OK button on the right side of the steering wheel answers the phone. It might hang up too, not sure.

We sound similar in our driving style, Probably goes back to the time of very expensive petrol..
    I have usually been able to get WLTP in any of my past cars and the ID.3 is no exception. Probably the most difficult over the years was our Prius, easiest being Honda.

eagerv wrote: »
    We sound similar in our driving style, Probably goes back to the time of very expensive petrol..
    I have usually been able to get WLTP in any of my past cars and the ID.3 is no exception. Probably the most difficult over the years was our Prius, easiest being Honda.

You just didn't know how to do pulse and glide properly :pac: :D

In the MK II Prius I was able to get around 4.2 l/100 kms Summer and 4.6 Winter!

I used to be a pity, coming down the Wicklow hills, say turlough hill, the battery would get full quickly, if only Toyota had been allowed to install higher than 1 Kwh battery ( dictated by patent laws by an Oil company ! ) in the Prius, 500 watt hrs usable believe it or not.

Battery Life on youtube tested the tour at 15 deg C and average speed was 120 Km/hr with some decent 130 Km/hr stints and got 351 Kms to 3% that's not too shabby. There's not much driver style differences in a motorway stints like this.

Hard to better 20kWh/100 at motorway speeds, but most have a combination of roads wherever we go here in Ireland. Last week on a Dublin run I had some atrocious weather where you could barely see the road at times:eek:. Still managed about 16kWh/100km when you combine the 80km/h bits and city driving.

You just didn't know how to do pulse and glide properly :pac: :D

In the MK II Prius I was able to get around 4.2 l/100 kms Summer and 4.6 Winter!

I used to be a pity, coming down the Wicklow hills, say turlough hill, the battery would get full quickly, if only Toyota had been allowed to install higher than 1 Kwh battery ( dictated by patent laws by an Oil company ! ) in the Prius, 500 watt hrs usable believe it or not.

Hated pulse and glide :), too lazy. Went from Prius to Honda with 182HP and could get almost same economy of about 5L/100km (Fill to fill) .Prius also lied, computer often said 4.4l/100 but when filled it up was around 4.8L/100km....
    If you could get an actual of 4.2L out of a Mark 2 Prius I am looking forward to seeing your range with a 77kWh ID.3......:D

Hated pulse and glide :), too lazy. Went from Prius to Honda with 182HP and could get almost same economy of about 5L/100km (Fill to fill) .Prius also lied, computer often said 4.4l/100 but when filled it up was around 4.8L/100km....
    If you could get an actual of 4.2L out of a Mark 2 Prius I am looking forward to seeing your range with a 77kWh ID.3......:D

I used the brim to brim calculations.

But no matter how hard I drove it seemed like I couldn't get higher than 5.5 L/100 km.

Pulse and glide wasn't at all difficult once you discovered the knack. There were plenty of opportunities that allowed for pulse and glide.

I probably won't be too concerned about getting good efficiency out of the id.3 with all that range and free work charging. :D

I used the brim to brim calculations.

But no matter how hard I drove it seemed like I couldn't get higher than 5.5 L/100 km.

Pulse and glide wasn't at all difficult once you discovered the knack. There were plenty of opportunities that allowed for pulse and glide.

I probably won't be too concerned about getting good efficiency out of the id.3 with all that range and free work charging. :D

I think most of us pulse and glide subconsciously, it was just a bit tedious on the Prius finding the dead band where the car was free wheeling without regen.

Even with the 58kWh ID.3, I find range is great, and I have to pay for all my electrons..:)

I think most of us pulse and glide subconsciously, it was just a bit tedious on the Prius finding the dead band where the car was free wheeling without regen.

Even with the 58kWh ID.3, I find range is great, and I have to pay for all my electrons..:)

I found cold weather to be the range killer in my old Prius, especially short winter trips. It was quite good during warmer weather

The range tests for he 58kWh look really good but I went with the 77, after the 5 seater became an option, because of my heavy right foot. I've never managed to get anywhere near the expected range in any car I've driven!

Back from Belfast, averaged 3.1m/kWh total. Happy with that.

Few irritations though...

* there's a vibration/rattle at the passengers door. If that's a common fault I might drive the dealer crazy til the sort it.

* the phone interface is still poop. Or maybe the i3 one was just excellent. Bit better now I've added speed dials but still not great overall.

* turning the mirror dial to the left to enable dip on reverse is good. Having to do that every single time is appalling.

* not only is the voice control crap, but it activates randomly all the time.

* dual climate control isn't much use if you have to have both zones on. I don't want her side warm and mine cool, I want her side off and mine on.

• Advertisement

I found cold weather to be the range killer in my old Prius, especially short winter trips. It was quite good during warmer weather

The range tests for he 58kWh look really good but I went with the 77, after the 5 seater became an option, because of my heavy right foot. I've never managed to get anywhere near the expected range in any car I've driven!

Extra range is always an advantage in an EV, IMO. The only slight disadvantage is weight (And of course cost)

I generally drive with a fairly light foot, with speed cameras etc not much need to break speed limits. The ID.3 even when driven gently is not necessarily being driven slowly.. My speed is normally the speed limit (Plus VAT occasionally..:)) But I love a bit of fun on twisty roads where the ID.3 is great.

Advertisement