Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Masala wrote: »
    An Post give the impression that there is a team of Revenue Officials sitting in a PO Depot opening every parcel. They then refer to a set of reference books with definitive values of everything they open and there is nothing An Post can do about the values.....

Whereas in truth... it’s some auld wan from An Post rumbling thru your things in a back office and saying ‘that’s nice’ and picking a figure from her head. And blaming Revenue for all the bad feedbacks!,,

...... hope I am wrong!!!

Hopefully it is the wrong impression, as the valuations are done in London and New Jersey. Thats whay they open the boxes. I'd imagine its a pretty thankless task trying to find valuations on everything. Even if you look at simple things on Amazon there can be a massive difference depending on the seller. Then try to figure out second hand values where the seller wants as much as possible for it. Then eBay with your product value of €10, and they want €50 to ship it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

whiterebel wrote: »
    The 2 mentions about the receipt gets lost in rest of the post about various theories about Revenue, HMRC etc. If its just about the receipt clarify it with your accountant. I've seen as many posts on Boards.ie saying you’re not entitled to a receipt as those that say you are. Your accountant should be able to provide a link to the legislation which you can quote to AddressPal.

Last year when I went to collect items at my local post office they gave me a receipt for the AddressPal service. An email reply from addresspal cs re same states the notification in itself is a receipt....how can it be when there's no number's on it 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

benmeade wrote: »
    Im not debating customs charges thats not my point.
    We are entitled to a receipt for the 6.50 wether it attracts custom charges or not.
    As a business the 6.50 is an expense and right now I can't prove to revenue what entity is collecting it. If you're self employed you'll understand but if you're a private individual you won't be too bothered.

"Conspiracy" no pal all I want is a receipt

Further to this, how much of the €6.50 relates to the UK portion of the transaction, and how much relates to the Irish portion? If, say €5 relates to the holding and shipping from AL10 to Dublin, and €1.50 relates to An Post delivery from Dublin to me, then only €5 should attract VAT here... Ridiculous you say? Perhaps! However, what's right is right!

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Further to this, how much of the €6.50 relates to the UK portion of the transaction, and how much relates to the Irish portion? If, say €5 relates to the holding and shipping from AL10 to Dublin, and €1.50 relates to An Post delivery from Dublin to me, then only €5 should attract VAT here... Ridiculous you say? Perhaps! However, what's right is right!
    If I manage to get a receipt I'll let you all know!! Its something we all should be requesting.

benmeade wrote: »
    If I manage to get a receipt I'll let you all know!! Its something we all should be requesting.

AP have confirmed they are now sending me a receipt.
    All of the 6.50€ is calculated with UK VAT.
    I told them if they didn't give me it then I was forwarding their refusal emails to HMRC and they suddenly agreed.

NOTE
    When you're working out the customs vat charge then start with 6.50 then add your item charge + uk delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

No, it doesn't.. If right was right, and assuming that delivery from the seller to AL10 was free, they should be charging nothing on the following basis:

My VAT calculation, spreading the €6.50 Addresspal fee proportionately over all the products, results in:

(23+(23/40*6.5)) @ 0%. VAT=0
    (17+(17/40*6.5) = €19.76 which is below the threshold. VAT = 0

Of course, someone could argue that ALL the €6.50 is VAT liable @ 23%, in which case, the VAT value would be €23.50 and VAT of €5.40 would be due, triggering the extra An Post €3 charge on top, resulting in the highest possible total charge of €8.40.

Managed to get the total down but just a bit above your estimate of €8.40. Beats paying the full whack anyway. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

sugarman wrote: »
    Finally moved, arrived in Dublin this morning.

Probably won't be delivered until Tuesday/Wednesday.

Gone very slow.

My DPD parcel and many others which arrived in Ireland on 29th are stuck in Athlone since. I wonder if revenues system experienced a fault around this time which prevented them being able to submit the customs info. Normally the data is submitted electronically to revenue by addresspal, dpd, whoever is importing the parcels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

im wondering will my parcel miraculously
    reappear after june.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Have AddressPal changed the way the import tax is charged ?

ive been ranting on here since mid January about getting roated on imports,
    but last week i ordered a Milano water fall tap for a down stairs sink from a bathroom supplier in the uk,
    they wouldn't ship to ireland, so i had it shipped via AddressPal,

Mod - there is no need to post pictures up

i was prepared to pay import tax via an email, but yesterday i received notification from AddressPal to say a parcel had been processed via AddressPal and 6.50 had been deducted from my account, you know the usual process.

but nothing regards import tax.
    have i gotten away with this one or should i assume the position when they arrive to deliver ?

Picture too small.
    You don't get the email for tax until its left the UK, usually 2-3 days after first getting Addresspal confirmation. To see how much you'll need to pay, log into your addresspal account and click the little magnifying glass beside dispatched. This will show you addresspals valuation. Its a very stressful moment clicking that and waiting for it to load to see if they've done goofed or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

spix wrote: »
    Picture too small.
    You don't get the email for tax until its left the UK, usually 2-3 days after first getting Addresspal confirmation. To see how much you'll need to pay, log into your addresspal account and click the little magnifying glass beside dispatched. This will show you addresspals valuation. Its a very stressful moment clicking that and waiting for it to load to see if they've done goofed or not.

Thanks very much for that information,
    I've checked it out there and they valued it at 30 GBP

pmDVpjXcp

ill just have to wait for it to arrive in Ireland now to be charged the import tax,
    probably be around 20 euro for that.
    thanks.

LenWoods wrote: »
    Thanks very much for that information,
    I've checked it out there and they valued it at 30 GBP

ill just have to wait for it to arrive in Ireland now to be charged the import tax,
    probably be around 20 euro for that.
    thanks.

Your bill should be €13

Just a thought Lads...

I don't suppose there's ANY chance a lad in Addresspal/An Post/Customs wouldn't be taking an odd gander on an Addresspal thread on Boards?

Ye CAN be too forthcoming in the details ye post... Just sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

spix wrote: »
    To see how much you'll need to pay, log into your addresspal account and click the little magnifying glass beside dispatched..

I find that magnifying glass is forever trying to load that page..
    Keeps circiling around trying to open

I find that magnifying glass is forever trying to load that page..
    Keeps circiling around trying to open

Try a different browser, its actually a file that downloads, doesn't open directly on the site, maybe your browser cant download it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gal_Capone

Address Pal and Parcel Motel have become really popular every since customs have been established within the UK. But here's my problem, and I hope people really consider this before they rely too heavily on this service.

They have a weight and size limit which I complexly understand. I my issue is that when you're over one of these limit, even by a hand full of cm or kg they refuse to help you out.

I recently ordered a tv unit from the UK that came in two boxes, (which I didn't know). Both were within the size limit, but one was overweight by 7KG.

The first box came across, I got charged €6.50 and then €20 customs. That was half the item. The second box got stopped refused and is marked return to sender.

I have called Address Pal multiple times, the first I got a very robotic customer services agent that was literally no help. The second agent was more helpful and actually made and effort.

I tried to ask if it was possible to treat my over weight parcel as two and to get charged €6.50 x2 to accommodate for the fact that it was over the limit because after all it was within the size stated by address pal.

He was nice enough to check for me but alas, no. I asked him to explain why this was the case because after all, I will be the one paying customs, and if it's a manual handling issue, I can be there to help off-load the item when its delivered.

His response was that the warehouse doesn't do that. That was it, that was the reason. He said that the warehouse cant treat the item as two parcels. That I would have to get the supplier to split the package into two.

I literally couldn't understand the logic behind this. Maybe someone with better knowledge about how these companies work would like to share their view on this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moved for merge

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Companies have limits and policies for a reason. If they started changing it for one, they would have to do it for all, and then we wonder why the service falls apart. This problem wasn't of their making. You say you understand the limits, and then you show that you actually don't. The may have equipment that can't deal with oversize, it may be too heavy according to their manual handling regulations. All sorts of reasons.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Companies have limits and policies for a reason. If they started changing it for one, they would have to do it for all, and then we wonder why the service falls apart. This problem wasn't of their making.

I understand they have policies. and I suggested that they treat the parcel as two, and charge be €6.50 x 2. That way they're not out of pocket. Address Pal wasn't built for Brexit or to accommodate for customs. if they don't adapt for that there current policy will cause them to fall apart. They have even removed Post Office collection. There only options is home delivery.

All the things you have mentioned that reasons for limitations, I have given them solutions. Manual handling is limited to 25kg. Their limit is 20kg. So I can understand that be the reason, yet customer services employee did not state that to be the case. He gave me logistical reason. Again, the parcel was only overweight. It's unusual for them to be able to know the weight of my parcel but not have the equipment to deal with it.

sugarman wrote: »
    AddressPal being very slow for everyone else?

No movement on an an item received on 29/4.

You have to remember that Item tracking doesn't update until it's scanned. So it could be in your local depot but not yet sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Atrides

My experience with Addresspal:

Ordered a KOBO e-reader from eBay UK. Paid £19.99 delivered to Addresspal UK.

After 2 days got an email from AnPost that Customs Charges to be paid:

They valued it as a TABLET
    33.png

Refused to pay Customs Charges on the AnPost website.

Sent emails to ecommchargequery@anpost.ie, addresspalsupport@anpost.ie explaining to them that I'll not pay an extra € 28.95 which is more than the price of an item that I bought. + few screenshots eBay and PayPal.

Got a replay from addresspalsupport@anpost.ie.

"Good Morning,
    Customs have a statutory right to examine all parcels coming from outside the EU. It is the Revenue Commissioners who raise customs charges and An Post can collect them on their behalf.
    All UK and USA deliveries are subject to Revenue inspection for customs and/or VAT charges.
    If you have received customs/VAT charges that you believe are incorrect, you will need to email AddressPal tracking number, customs reference, and a copy of the original purchase order to eCommChargeQuery@anpost.ie.
    Please be advised that AddressPal is unable to answer queries on behalf of Irish Revenue.
    Kind regards,
    SP"

Few days later, the item was delivered without any Customs Charges. Item was opened and sealed with AddressPal duct tape.

44.jpg

Then received email from ecommchargequery@anpost.ie

"Good afternoon
    records show that this item has been delivered on 13/05/2021.
    regards"

As I understand, AddressPal applies an estimated value themselves and uses the rule - "worth a shot"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

still waiting for the pair of used sandals off ebay costing 10.50

I had a large item which was 100% within dimension at weight limits.
    Tracking showed it was delivered and signed to addresspal, 24 hours later, returned to sender.
    Contacted them showing proof of weight + size , they claimed they never got the parcel.
    Eventually was returned to sender covered in addresspal tape. No doubt since it was taking long to be returned, they pretended they never got it so not be liable.

Gal_Capone wrote: »
    Address Pal and Parcel Motel have become really popular every since customs have been established within the UK. But here's my problem, and I hope people really consider this before they rely too heavily on this service.

Mod - <SNIP> No need to quote the whole post.

Atrides wrote: »
    My experience with Addresspal:

Mod - <SNIP> No need to quote the whole post
    As I understand, AddressPal applies an estimated value themselves and uses the rule - "worth a shot"

When I buy stuff off e-Bay, I ask the seller to place a print-out of the e-Bay auction ended page in the box on top of the item. AddressPal has used it in all cases so far.

If information on the price paid plus postage is not included, and no Customs Declaration has been made, what is AP to do but estimate?

If information on the price paid plus postage is not included, and no Customs Declaration has been made, what is AP to do but estimate?

They could do what they proclaimed they would do in the email sent to all addresspal members a few weeks ago... send an email asking for the invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭amdaley28

To be honest I can't understand why people are still using this service :o

amdaley28 wrote: »
    To be honest I can't understand why people are still using this service :o

Seriously? I think its bloody brilliant, if you use it properly.

I've bought 4 items off e-Bay in the past month, all under VAT limits allowing for AP charges, have had the seller include a printout of the invoice , and have not had a single issue. In one case, the item is simply not available in Ireland, and in the 3 others they were used parts I needed that were either not available or horrendously expensive here.

I don't understand why folks bother posting opinions like this one, which are as useful as a glass hammer, when the thread should be about helping lads minimise issues with a service that's about the only one that offers value at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I've bought 4 items off e-Bay in the past month, all under VAT limits allowing for AP charges, have had the seller include a printout of the invoice , and have not had a single issue. In one case, the item is simply not available in Ireland, and in the 3 others they were used parts I needed that were either not available or horrendously expensive here.

I don't understand why folks bother posting opinions like this one, which are as useful as a glass hammer, when the thread should be about helping lads minimise issues with a service that's about the only one that offers value at the minute.

You might find it brilliant & good luck to you but there are many on here who have found its just a lesson in frustration with endless toing & froing with non deliveries & wrong vat estimations. It might work well with items under the vat threshold.
    I've bought a lot of items from E bay as well using regular post & I've had no problems unless you want to go with E Bays Global Shipping rip off :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

When it works .... its GREEEAAT! had some very goof experiences since 01 Jan 2021.

The last purchase was a NIGHTMARE...... despite Seller inserting invoice for £5 value the 'Revenue' put a £58 value on the item and wanted additional €15 in charges. Had already paid £5 to post to Hatfield and €6.50 to Address pal on receipt. So - just wrote to tje emails shown earlier advising to just put item in the bin as the item wasn't worth €33+++.

Heard nothing more til it arrived last week... no charges payable.

Luckily - I didn't really care what they did with the item. BUT if I really wanted same - I would have had to cough up the €15 extra.

So - now determined not to use going forward.

• Advertisement

Mea Culpa!!!

I take it all back.. I just got hit with a Customs Valuation of €32 for an item that cost £4.99 plus postage of £6.90, totalling £11.89. This, despite the complete e-Bay invoice being in the box..

I know, I know... I deserved that slap for being so full of praise earlier... So, here we go on the conveyor belt of spurious charges and shouting into the abyss!!

:😠

Advertisement