Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Please advice, about landlord's obligations in terms of maintenance

• 13-05-2021 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi, I have been a responsible tenant and renting the house since 6 years, pay rent full and always on time, keep property in good order, and so on.

When I moved, the state of most of the furniture and household goods was old, barely functioning. The reason it was not replaced by landlord, was that it was still working.

So with their permission I arranged my own washing machine, because the one 'provided' was 40 years old and to say it was not energy efficient is an understatement. The refrigerator was ancient too ( 20 years old )functioning but consuming lot of electricity, accumulating frost frequently etc by technical definition it was broken already. The beds and mattresses were used old, so I bought new ( at my expense) , and they arranged to collect the old ones....Also the old couch has broken springs. There are cracks on walls in one of the rooms, and need filling as well as repainting. I even bought new curtains ( and kept old mouldy curtains safe just in case they want it back)

Garden is also maintained mostly by me also. Landlord arranged grass cut 3 times in past 6 years.

I am finding it hard to contact the landlord who delays in responding, sometimes does not even respond so I have to message again and at times the response I do get, is not appropriate, such as acting clueless asking me to elaborate what I already wrote...and then issues are further delayed.
    so am considering arrange it at my expense due to reasons above.

I feel so frustrated, not sure if anyone else dealt with similar situation. Is it reasonable to feel this way or am I expecting too much in terms of maintenance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

Garden maintenance is often the responsibility of the tenant. See if your tenancy agreement addresses that.

Rental standards only require functioning kitchen appliances, not new or energy-efficient ones. Your landlord would be responsible for keeping them working or replacing them if they can't be repaired, but not just because they are old and you want a newer, more efficient model. If you arrange with the landlord to replace them yourself, that's a matter between you and the landlord, and what needs to be done with the old one is also something you should arrange with the landlord. If you get rid of the old appliance without the landlord's permission, you will have to make sure there is a working appliance of the same quality there when you leave, or the landlord can take the value of the missing one out of your deposit. That might mean having to leave your expensive new washer there when you go, or trying to find some old used one that still works.

Other furniture not provided for in the regulations is a bit more of a grey area. Technically the landlord is responsible for maintaining any furniture that came with the property, and should replace it if it wears out or breaks through no fault of yours. However, convincing them to do so might be difficult, and you'd have to consider whether trying to do so will lead to the landlord finding a reason to have you out if you push too hard. You could also ask if they could remove the existing furniture you want to replace so you can bring in your own, but if they don't have any place to store it, that might be a non-starter, unfortunately. All you can really do is try to work with the landlord on that matter and try to come to an amicable solution.

Plaster cracks and worn paint would normally be on the landlord to remedy. Again, though, some landlords just can't be bothered.

If you have tried repeatedly to get your landlord to repair or maintain something and they didn't do so in a reasonable time frame and so you had it done at your expense, you can ask the landlord to reimburse you for reasonable costs. If the landlord won't repair or replace broken furniture or maintain the property and refuses to reimburse you for having them repaired, you can try to bring a complaint to the RTB that your landlord failed to meet their obligations, but be aware that this will likely destroy your relationship with your landlord and it's likely they will find some excuse to end your tenancy sooner rather than later. This goes double if you are currently paying below market rent, especially if you are in an RPZ, as the landlord will be keen to get a tenant in who will be less troublesome and who doesn't know the old rent amount (and will be too afraid to ask) and so won't know the market rent they'll be paying amounts to an illegal increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Ask your local council to inspect the property. They will give the landlord a list of things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Ella108

Ask your local council to inspect the property. They will give the landlord a list of things to do.

Would that impact negatively, I want to go as amicably as possible. But thanks, that sounds like a good idea, I will check with council as a last resort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

There are minimum standards in rental accomodation which council can inspect. Very little of what you outlined would fall under those standards. Possibly the cracks on the walls as the property needs to be kept in good decorative order.

I dont get from your OP what the specific issue is now. Youve outlined what youve replaced over the years at your expense and how the landlord has stone walled you however i dont know what the current issue is, other than your unhappiness. If unhappy move. Keeping the property in good order and paying your rent on time while sometimes can be an achievement with some tenants is normally the norm. Are you paying market rent or possibly paying below market rent, there is no incentive for a landlord to provide you with new furniture and white goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭sk8board

Full time LL here. I was going to suggest this too, if the property is registered.
    Id also call to tell him directly that you’re struggling to get him to act on things that need addressing.
    I’ve had tenants who were texting and calling me constantly with the most minor of things, but in reality they are within their rights and indeed the rent was high too, so I wouldn’t argue.

The LL sounds like someone with just this one house and is ignoring maintenance requests until you hound him, so he can pocket as much of the rent as possible. It’s not the right way to do it obviously.

As someone said above, his obligations are actually pretty low in terms of house requirements - he has to provide facilities for ‘the storage and cooking of food and washing clothes’. I’ve seen bedsits with a plug-in hot plate next to the bed and an old fridge, passing the inspection.

Regarding lawns, I put a lawnmower in each property and it’s in the lease that the tenant has to look after it and not have it growing into a meadow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Roski707

Garden and all external of the dwelling is actually the landlords responsibility - not the tenants.
    Many tenants are happy to maintain it themselves rather than have the landlord trapse around the grounds every weekend, but regardless of what your lease says it is the landlords remit to maintain the garden and is set out in The Housing (Standards for Rented Housing) Regulations 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

if the landlord wont fix anything rent a place that is maintained you get what you pay for and dont need the stress

Advertisement