Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tenet (Christopher Nolan) *spoilers from post 475*

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The point bring made is in relation to for an example the airport scene revisited. The lads are walking/running backwards with the lady on the gurney. Everyone else in real time would be going forward dealing with the plane crash and no doubt some would think "what's going on with these lads running backwards?"

You can see at least one of the firefighters doing a double take at Washington/Pattinson during that scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I recently watched this movie in 2 months time.
    I might watch it again last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

Absolutely terrible film on so many levels. For those saying it needed a second or third viewing to really 'get' what they had initially missed...that to me is the very definition of a badly made film.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

newmember? wrote: »
    Absolutely terrible film on so many levels. For those saying it needed a second or third viewing to really 'get' what they had initially missed...that to me is the very definition of a badly made film.

It does feel that if you need to watch it multiple times it is more of an intellectual endeavour rather than a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Gave it a try there. Might have enjoyed it if I could have heard a word people were saying. Whats that about ? Shocking sound. Background score dominating all the time. Is this a Nolan thing cos I couldn't understand a word out of Bane either. I'm an hour in and have absolutely no idea whats going on. Its bouncing around locations like a James Bond film with no continuity at all.

Engaging opening set piece akin to DK but the sound ruined it. Turned off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

one hour in watching this and im bored out of my tree , dreadful , thinking of bailing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    one hour in watching this and im bored out of my tree , dreadful , thinking of bailing

I bailed about an hour in from the cinema because there's a point where you know where it's going to go and covid paranoia couldn't keep me there.

From a Nolan interest point of view I'm glad this film kind of disappointed, because it might wake him up a bit and try something daring as opposed familiar to him again.

I bailed about an hour in from the cinema because there's a point where you know where it's going to go and covid paranoia couldn't keep me there.

From a Nolan interest point of view I'm glad this film kind of disappointed, because it might wake him up a bit and try something daring as opposed familiar to him again.

One could say that it's really about fooking time that he called time on the theme of time, at this time (of all times).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

so I watched this again this morning and liked it a lot more the second time , its most certainly a movie you need to see twice , its every bit and more conceptual than Inception

its a complete and utter mind fcuk and you cannot switch your brain into lower gear for one second , at first i thought the movie was a cross between inception and the matrix but id add another , Back to the future 2

observing yourself in an alternative past space in time , also notice how Pattinson refers to how the fusing of the past and the future will eventually destroy everything

Doc Brown said the same thing in Back to the Future 2 , " if you come into contact with your other self marty , it will mess with the space time continuum and the result will destroy the universe "

Nolan is like a pretentious art house movie maker with a limitless budget at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Watched this last night, probably in the opposite of how Nolan intended it (on a laptop, with earphones).

I watched it with earphones too and maybe that helps as I didn't find the movie confusing, all over the place or had issues with dialogue. Maybe because I had read so many people complaining about it I watched it more focused on paying attention than I usually would and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

No idea why people think it's pretentious though, it's a time travelling sci-fi movie, it's not much different in terms of theme compared to so many others.

• Advertisement

it's far more a case of shyte (way too much exposition then the completely stupid contradictory cop out "Don't try to understand it, feel it" and utterly un-immersive and dare I say it silly set pieces - looks like fast rewind more than anything in parts) than being pretentious being its biggest fault

the opening and bit up the the Mumbai bungee bit was ok but fell off a cliff after that

saw it on the big screen but trying to bear hugely long exposition a second time means that trying to watch again at home was nauseating and had to be turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It's an original, $200m blockbuster based on an idea Nolan had and not any prexisting intellectual property. For Warner Bros to finance that and not try force him to reboot He-Man or Hungry Hungry Hippos is daring in itself, whatever the execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Watched it a second time yesterday, first was in the cinema, second at home with Subtitles.

Film made so much more sense when you actually know what the actors are saying. I found the dialogue sound in the cinema poor and muffled at times.

Rate it that little bit more now than I did the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I haven’t seen this yet so no spoilers please.

CaN anyone tell me Tenet on iTunes Ireland is cut ?

I just learned that the film was edited in the UK to get a 12A rating. I’m guessing that the IFCO would have passed it with no cuts for the cinema here assuming Warner Bros. submitted it uncut.

But on iTunes it is different - the Irish and UK stores work from the same servers so we would get whatever version was intended for the UK unless Warner Bros. unloaded a cut just for Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Try checking the runtime and comparing it to the UK. I'd say it's ok.

BBFC getting up to its old tricks again... Something to keep an eye on if buying Blu-rays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I haven’t seen this yet so no spoilers please.

CaN anyone tell me Tenet on iTunes Ireland is cut ?

I just learned that the film was edited in the UK to get a 12A rating. I’m guessing that the IFCO would have passed it with no cuts for the cinema here assuming Warner Bros. submitted it uncut.

But on iTunes it is different - the Irish and UK stores work from the same servers so we would get whatever version was intended for the UK unless Warner Bros. unloaded a cut just for Ireland.

I did a search for you and no spoilers. This is what's cut according to imdb:

The British Warner Bros. subsidiary removed 9 seconds of footage (showing [a character] kicking [another character, a woman] during a fight) from the theatrical version to secure a "12A" rating (an uncut "15" was available). This version was later released on home video in the UK.

I removed characters names above. So no spoilers. Assume this is the cut you are referring to.

Try checking the runtime and comparing it to the UK. I'd say it's ok.

BBFC getting up to its old tricks again... Something to keep an eye on if buying Blu-rays.

I have compared that way in the past but depending on region and format (for reasons I don’t understand) a movie’s runtime can vary even when the film is the same.

Tenet is apparently only 9 seconds.

Not much I know but if that is 9 of violence and/or boobs that a director wanted me to see then I should see it :)

The BBFC had the cinema release and the home digital and disc release at 150 minutes exactly.

On iTunes Ireland the film’s runtime is about 30 seconds less.

I did a search for you and no spoilers. This is what's cut according to imdb:

The British Warner Bros. subsidiary removed 9 seconds of footage (showing [a character] kicking [another character, a woman] during a fight) from the theatrical version to secure a "12A" rating (an uncut "15" was available). This version was later released on home video in the UK.

I removed characters names above. So no spoilers. Assume this is the cut you are referring to.

Thank you very much for both the information and providing it spoiler free :)

If anyone can confirm whether these few seconds are in Tenet on Irish iTunes?

Also, I keep calling the movie Tenent in my head? I don’t know why.

edit - no comment delete option on "new upgraded boards"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Just watched it. Totally lost. Looked good though.

I should watch it again but would need it explained to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave it a watch! That was great! Everything really fell into place roughly from the inversion point just after the car chase.

Didn't feel as complicated as Dark on Netflix but that would've been hard! 😁

Really looked like more could be done with the universe but I imagine it would cost a fortune and probably lose much of the novelty. The CIA stuff was really cool. Wouldn't mind seeing other shows doing it at that level.

Big feels for Robert Pattinsons character there at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Tenet is on Netflix now so I've just seen it

First thing, I'm not a Nolan fan. If you love Nolan, you'll probably hate me, but I always take each film on it's own merits, but I don't make allowances because it's from a director that I already like.

Tenet is stupid

I'll break it down into chunks

1. The action sequences: they're stupid. everything happens too fast and while the action sequences are technically impressive, they're not exciting because your brain is constantly trying to re-package everything it's seen into a coherent format (I know this is on purpose)
    2. The technical sequences: On their face, they reminded me of Team America World Police, because they looked like marionettes and if you just show the scenes on their own they would be laughably weird without context.
    3. The Plot: It's extremely stupid. Nothing is explained except to say 'don't think about it'. I also know that it's intended to not make sense, but that doesn't stop it from being stupid
    4. The Characters: Honestly, Do not give one **** about the woman's kid. Do not care why the 'protagonist' cares about her or her kid, and do not feel like I made an error when she gambled with the entire universe at the end and happened to get away with it... nobody is likable, understandable, sensible..... Why does killing Kenneth Branagh end the universe by default? that makes no sense
    5. The science: It's really really really stupid. I'm ok with Sci-Fi having 'magic' explanations for gaps in science, but here, there is no story to compensate, the concept is entirely driving the plot, and that ruins everything
    6. The first half was intentionally unintelligible, and the 2nd half was intentionally unfollowable. **** off. I already devoted 2.5 hours to watch this movie. Don't tell me i have to watch it 2 or 3 more times to 'get' the film
    7. The dialogue is impossible to hear. There's a 'voice clarity' setting on my TV which I'm gonna call 'Christopher Nolan Mode' from now on.
    8. Exposition. God almighty, If I have to sit through an hour of exposition, i'd like to at least understand the stupid plot by the end of it and be able to enjoy the rest of the film in it's first viewing
    9. The final 'battle scene' WTF actually was going on there. I was watching it, but it was about as coherent as the worst Michael Bay movies

But most importantly, the stupid inverted time concept makes zero sense and never will unless you get really really really really stoned

Nolan still makes great movies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

yes but not Tenet, id agree with all the criticism above. it's a very poor film

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He does but he should not write his own movies. There's enough evidence IMO that has shown he's not the better writer in the Nolan family.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

I watched it last night on netflix, turned it off after over an hour. Rubbish .

Kenneth brannagh was terrible,his accent was just dreadful . The dialog was funny but not in a good way, it reminded me a bit of the remake of miami vice with the dialog being so bad.

Advertisement