Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A2 bikes: restricted vs non-restricted

• 09-05-2021 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭

So, my young lad has done his 2 years on A1, did his test, has his A2 permit and we're looking at A2 bikes.

So the question is down to what to buy. At the moment used choice is scarce and expensive so might - might - go for new.

Right now we're looking at a CB500F which is 35Kw unrestricted. It's a good bike, a good size for him and well made, or go for a restricted MT-07. About which I know nothing. And the MT is a good bit more expensive.

I'm wondering what a restricted bike is like to ride, like where is the sacrifice in the restriction? Will it be gutless? Does the throttle just stop half-way (or whatever) ?

I strongly suspect in 2 or 3 years max it'll be changed anyway.

There's so few about I don't have any one I can ask or see.

Any input appreciated

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Sv650s was great restricted

For me it was just the throttle stopped half way. Felt like more than enough power definitely not gutless and if I had to do it again I'd go for a restricted sv 100%

But they would not quote me until the day I turned 21 if that makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭goblin59

I would say get a restricted bike as well.
    Makes the A test easier in the future too if he's planning on keeping the bike long term.

CB500f is a nice bike, a friend of mine has one.
    Look out for an XJ6 as well, its a similar bike, but A class

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-xj6-n-abs/27738776

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I have no experience riding a restricted bike but my understanding is that twins respond well to the thottle restriction because they typically have good low end torque which isn't impacted by the restrictor. Buying new is not a bad idea given the current market, I think the Mt07 is a future proof idea, when the time comes it can be unrestricted or if you decide to sell it, it'll be sold within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

goblin59 wrote: »
    I would say get a restricted bike as well.
    Makes the A test easier in the future too if he's planning on keeping the bike long term.

CB500f is a nice bike, a friend of mine has one.
    Look out for an XJ6 as well, its a similar bike, but A class

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-xj6-n-abs/27738776

Nice bike, but €4500 for an 11 Yr old bike when a new Honda is €7500 ?? Maybe i need to revalue my own bikes !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭goblin59

galwaytt wrote: »
    Nice bike, but €4500 for an 11 Yr old bike when a new Honda is €7500 ?? Maybe i need to revalue my own bikes !

It probally is worth about €3000 but yeah bikes seem to be daft value in Ireland at the moment.
    Have a look on autoscout24 and see if theres anything in Europe worth a trip over for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd personally go for the MT07, build quality is not Honda but they are a very fun bike and will sell no problem, in fact I would say they are like a modern version of an RD350.

Advertisement