Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid-19 likely to be man made

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Professor Bret Weinstein reckons the chances of it having come from a lab are 90%. So he must believe there is a lot of evidence to suggest that.
    What evidence did he present?
    Where was it published?

King Mob wrote: »
    What evidence did he present?
    Where was it published?

The evidence is what he said to Bill Maher, that it infects people and jumps from one person to the next with no explanation:

Professor Weinstein: "There are lots of viruses that can escape from nature and infect people, but in general they don't have a second trick, that is to say they can infect you, they can make you sick, maybe they can kill you, but they can't jump to the next person. And so what's really conspicuous about this virus is that it had both tricks from the get go. It infects people and it jumps from one person to the next with no explanation."

lucernarian, is what Professor Weinstein said correct?

The evidence is what he said to Bill Maher, that it infects people and jumps from one person to the next with no explanation:

So then he doesn't present any evidence.

So then he doesn't present any evidence.

You mean evidence that what is unusual about the virus is that 'it infects people and it jumps from one person to the next with no explanation'? I take it it's just an established scientific fact that viruses 'can't jump to the next person'. That's why Professor Weinstein said what he said.

You mean evidence that what is unusual about the virus is that 'it infects people and it jumps from one person to the next with no explanation'?
    Yes. You just said that he provided no evidence of this. he just claimed it on a talk show.
    It's not published in a scientific paper. There's nothing actually backing this statement up.
    It's just an argument from authority.

This is a bad argument. Just because the person saying it is a doctor, it doesn't mean he's automatically right.
    I take it it's just an established scientific fact that viruses 'can't jump to the next person'. That's why Professor Weinstein said what he said.
    I don't think you understand what he said or how viruses work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

The belief that covid was man made is more then a conspiracy theory and I'm not the only one that suspects it.

Here Leading Science journalist: Yeah, Covid was developed in a lab

https://gript.ie/leading-us-expert-yeah-covid-was-developed-in-a-lab/

NaFirinne wrote: »
    The belief that covid was man made is more then a conspiracy theory and I'm not the only one that suspects it.

Here Leading Science journalist: Yeah, Covid was developed in a lab

https://gript.ie/leading-us-expert-yeah-covid-was-developed-in-a-lab/
    Another link dump from a sketchy, right wing crank website and no attempt to deal with any of the dozens of points you're cowering away from.

What evidence does this "Leading Science Journalist" provide beyond his own authority?
    Based on your previous abandoned claims, he doesn't provide any.

Why are you dodging questions?
    Why do you expect people to just forget by the time you lay out you next link dump.
    Do you genuinely think you're convincing anyone?

Another link dump from a sketchy, right wing crank website and no attempt to deal with any of the dozens of points you're cowering away from.

What evidence does this "Leading Science Journalist" provide beyond his own authority?
    Based on your previous abandoned claims, he doesn't provide any.

Why are you dodging questions?
    Why do you expect people to just forget by the time you lay out you next link dump.
    Do you genuinely think you're convincing anyone?

How can anyone provide direct evidence when no one is allowed too investigate the lab outside of the same people who have motive to hide the truth.

There is plenty of circumstantial evidence....They very fact that the virus started in wuhan which has a lab directly experimenting on gain of function viruses.

The fact that they were gathering bats all the way from south china to specifically carry out experimentation on coronaviruses and developing actively developing these coronaviruses to have the highest possible infectivity for human cells.

The research being done in wuhan on coronaviruses has been sealed up by the Chinese government.

If there not hiding anything why are they sealing these up?

It doesn't matter what questions are answered you have you default replies well rehearsed to point out no one answers any questions.

Well no offical organisation is asking the hard questions and looking for answers from the Chinese government.

How can anyone provide direct evidence when no one is allowed too investigate the lab outside of the same people who have motive to hide the truth.
    So then the expert offers no evidence and you're just looking for excuses.
    There is plenty of circumstantial evidence...
    So you keep saying, but when you're pressed about this evidence, you ignore and evade and just copy paste from crank websites.
    It doesn't matter what questions are answered you have you default replies well rehearsed to point out no one answers any questions.
    But I only point out that people aren't answering my questions and they are running away from points when they do that.

If you don't want me to do that, then perhaps you should stop running away from points and questions and answer them instead.

But you won't do this. You'll deflect and ignore like you guys always do.

So I'm asking why you have to do this.
    Well no offical organisation is asking the hard questions and looking for answers from the Chinese government.
    Ok. That's what you believe.

Why do you believe this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭political analyst

Broadsheet newspaper 'The Australian' is the source for the following article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9556415/China-preparing-WW3-biological-weapons-six-years-investigators-say.html

• Advertisement

No, you linked to the Daily Mail, well known sensationalist rag.

Could you point out where in the documents it discusses how covid 19 was man made?
    A direct quote would be nice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It would be a failure if the US, UK, Russia, France, Israel, etc didn't have similar reports and equivalent investigations going on at their bio research labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

robinph wrote: »
    It would be a failure if the US, UK, Russia, France, Israel, etc didn't have similar reports and equivalent investigations going on at their bio research labs.

Indeed, militaries make contingencies and plans and theory-craft for literally everything. Biological warfare and it's uses on and off the battlefield have been around since forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Indeed, militaries make contingencies and plans and theory-craft for literally everything. Biological warfare and it's uses on and off the battlefield have been around since forever.

I read a paper recently that said Israel had gone through a 'bioterrorism drill' around 2019 that practiced mobilizing to deliver vaccines, and it's something they definitely 'war game'' about. Not surprisingly, they've done the best on getting their population vaccinated.

So, yeah, countries do worry about these things and some practice dealing with them. Not Ireland, though. Le cúnamh Dé shur and we'll all be grand:P

I hope they keep pushing this so we get a real investigation into the Wuhan Lab

GOP lawmaker wants answers from Fauci on Wuhan lab's research and possible COVID-19 origin

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/gop-answers-fauci-wuhan-lab-research-covid-origin

I hope they keep pushing this so we get a real investigation into the Wuhan Lab

GOP lawmaker wants answers from Fauci on Wuhan lab's research and possible COVID-19 origin

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/gop-answers-fauci-wuhan-lab-research-covid-origin

More dodging then...

How come the GOP aren't involved in the global conspiracy to cover up the lab leak?

No, you linked to the Daily Mail, well known sensationalist rag.

Could you point out where in the documents it discusses how covid 19 was man made?

It's the source that the Daily Mail cited for the article.

It's the source that the Daily Mail cited for the article.
    Cool.
    The Daily Mail is a sensationalist rag.

Sorry to ask again, but you seem to have missed this question last time.

Cool.
    The Daily Mail is a sensationalist rag.

Sorry to ask again, but you seem to have missed this question last time.

The citing of an Australian broadsheet as the original source of the story is enough.

The citing of an Australian broadsheet as the original source of the story is enough.
    Yes, but some outlets, like the Daily Mail like to sensationalise things to draw clicks and eyes.

The best thing to do is to actually look at the source document.

Given that you've ignored my question completely twice now, I assume that you haven't actually looked at the source document.
    Right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭moonage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

King Mob, are you paid by boards to fight tooth and nail against everey so called 'conspiracy theory' here or I've seen it in other forums too. No 5 minutes somebody posts something here for the idea the virus could be manmade and you're frantically trying to rebut it. Weird in itself and definately an agenda.

For posters, I would recommend to ignore this poster to freely discuss this interesting posts and links here which are giving very valid information in questioning the origin of this virus and everybody can decide themselves what could be in the realms of possibility and what not.

Please note, I highlighted the word could!. Because afaics, people here discussing the possibility in a very adult, also scientific manner. Some people with professional knowledge in virology posted here! Nobody here is saying it is manmade and escaped from the lab!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

tara73 wrote: »
    King Mob, are you paid by boards to fight tooth and nail against everey so called 'conspiracy theory' here or I've seen it in other forums too. No 5 minutes somebody posts something here for the idea the virus could be manmade and you're frantically trying to rebut it. Weird in itself and definately an agenda.

For posters, I would recommend to ignore this poster to freely discuss this interesting posts and links here which are giving very valid information in questioning the origin of this virus and everybody can decide themselves what could be in the realms of possibility and what not.

Significantly more likely that conspiracy theorists posting links to blogs and you tube channels where money is made from advertising are the ones getting paid, rather than people posting links to scientific papers and reputable news websites that don't carry sponsorship or have affiliate marketing.

robinph wrote: »
    Significantly more likely that conspiracy theorists posting links to blogs and you tube channels where money is made from advertising are the ones getting paid, rather than people posting links to scientific papers and reputable news websites that don't carry sponsorship or have affiliate marketing.
    I'm genuinely curious what people believe I'm paid and by whom and how.

Yes, but some outlets, like the Daily Mail like to sensationalise things to draw clicks and eyes.

The best thing to do is to actually look at the source document.

Given that you've ignored my question completely twice now, I assume that you haven't actually looked at the source document.
    Right?

That is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

There is plenty of circumstantial evidence....They very fact that the virus started in wuhan which has a lab directly experimenting on gain of function viruses.

The fact that they were gathering bats all the way from south china to specifically carry out experimentation on coronaviruses and developing actively developing these coronaviruses to have the highest possible infectivity for human cells.

The research being done in wuhan on coronaviruses has been sealed up by the Chinese government.

If there not hiding anything why are they sealing these up?

Agree 100%

moonage wrote: »

So here's a better video that kinda breaks down this story and it's original source:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-A_OPWa5VI

In the video he shows that the headline isn't very accurate.
    it's not so much "Secret leaked Chinese document shows that they were planning to weaponise and release a modified virus."
    It's more like "publicly available Chinese book available on Amazon discusses the idea that a modified virus can be released on China by a different country."#
    It then also apparently goes on to explain how the previous SARS pandemic was actually a conspiracy involving America and Taiwan.

The video also highlights a really funny part from that Sky News report where she talks about the book author's wild insane conspiracy theories that the other pandemic was caused by a man made virus.
    (At about 4:30 in the original video.)
    Which is just hilariously hypocritical.

It's also a bit odd for conspiracy theorists here to be fully backing a story which seems to have been spun out of nothing and pretty much in the News Corp sphere...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So here's a better video that kinda breaks down this story and it's original source:

it's not so much "Secret leaked Chinese document shows that they were planning to weaponise and release a modified virus."
    It's more like "publicly available Chinese book available on Amazon discusses the idea that a modified virus can be released on China by a different country."#
    It then also apparently goes on to explain how the previous SARS pandemic was actually a conspiracy involving America and Taiwan.

The video also highlights a really funny part from that Sky News report where she talks about the book author's wild insane conspiracy theories that the other pandemic was caused by a man made virus.

It's also a bit odd for conspiracy theorists here to be fully backing a story which seems to have been spun out of nothing and pretty much in the News Corp sphere...

It's hilarious how the conspiracy theorists say you can't believe the auld MSM and then constantly post shìte from sky news Australia :pac:

It's hilarious how the conspiracy theorists say you can't believe the auld MSM and then constantly post shìte from sky news Australia :pac:
    Or Fox News...
    Or the Daily Mail...
    Or Russia Today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Well done in exposing that clearly.

When I watched the skynews Australia video I was surprised that she was plugging her own book
    but it was only when I checked I realised that 'Sky News Australia' is not connected to 'Sky News',
    but instead the Australian version is owned by Rupert Murdoch, and is in the same stable as Fox News.
    Looks like they have the same disregard for the truth as Fox News!

Advertisement