Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baby store online & cloth nappies

• 10-05-2021 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

I hope this is ok to post here!

I am doing a little research into baby products / cloth nappy usage. If you have a spare couple of minutes, I would really appreciate your input by filling out this survey.

Link to Survey

I'll add my experience: At first...I was a disposable nappy user. I was put off by the thoughts of having a piece of cloth wrapped around our baby as a nappy. My thoughts were: it's messy, there will be lots of leaks, it's too expensive, takes up too much time.

However, when we started using them a few months ago, they were not what I expected at all. Very easy to use, soft, lots of funky designs to choose, and our bins don't weigh a ton anymore! Yes, the washing takes a little more time than just throwing a disposable in a bin. But for me, I find the whole experience a positive one and will continue to use the cloth nappies as much as I can.

I'm not someone that is super passionate about the environment, but I like to try do my part occasionally. I do occasionally use disposables, but that's probably just 20% of the time now.

I would love to hear others experience / reasons why you might not currently use them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I've had two in cloth at the same time, and am expecting my third baby now. Would not go back to disposables in a million years. The horribly chemical stuff off them, the rashes they cause on your baby's bum, the cost and most importantly, the amount of waste.

Total cloth convert over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Love cloth. We use disposable at night but cloth the.rest of the time. Some of the nappies are on their sixth child at this stage.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We use disposables. Cloth nappies just don't appeal, there's already enough washing to do without having to do nappies on top. Same story with the reusable wipes that you can get.

Yea there's a lot of waste with them but even with that I would say our landfill bin is a fraction of what the average persons is as we're pretty hardcore on reusability/recycling with almost everything else, so I feel ok with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

awec wrote: »
    We use disposables. Cloth nappies just don't appeal, there's already enough washing to do without having to do nappies on top. Same story with the reusable wipes that you can get.

Yea there's a lot of waste with them but even with that I would say our landfill bin is a fraction of what the average persons is as we're pretty hardcore on reusability/recycling with almost everything else, so I feel ok with it.

You'd be surprised about the washing. Full-time cloth is 2 extra loads a week, and obviously less than that if part-time. The wipes can go in with the nappies or else just with your normal wash if you're not using cloth nappies - just do a quick rinse first before they go in. The wipes really are no hassle whatsoever, washing-wise, and they are much more efficient at cleaning bums than disposable.

The washing load being astronomical is a common misconception.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I also have two in cloth at the moment and find them great.

I know cloth nappies aren't for everyone and that's fair enough but I really wouldn't be so quick to dismiss cloth wipes. They do a far better job than disposable wipes and really wouldn't add much to washing. Put them on a rinse cycle first and then throw them in with anything. You don't even need to dry them if you'll be using them again fairly soon - just rinse them with water and put them in a container beside wherever you change them. And the saving is massive - think I spent about €40 on the wipes versus buying disposable ones every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I started using cloth when my 2nd was 2 months. Gave them up when she was 11 months and I went back to work. The stress of trying to organise the washing with all the normal household washing was totally stressing me out. We had to do a wash every day of something. If we forgot a day everything was up in a heap for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I have one extra wash a week with one in nappies. When I had two there was two extra washes. And the nappies have been used on other babies too, and passed back when finished with. Huge reduction in landfill when you use them. Apparently one third approx of landfill is nappies and wipes.
    Cloths wipes are a no brainer. Disposable wipes do SFA for a poo explosion.

Advertisement