Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How Bout Dem Bears?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The rumoured offer for Wilson was 3 1sts, 1 3rd and 2 starters I think.
    I like Wilson but that's too much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's not enough really when you've only got a 20th pick and not much hope of the future years being any higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

To sign an elite QB to a team who have never had an elite QB in 103 years? No price is too high. If they called on draft night and wanted 4 1sts, a 2nd, 3rd and Eddie Jackson I would still do that deal.

The last 3 seasons have shown us that you are nothing without a QB. It doesn't matter how good your defense is. Get a QB and figure out the rest later.

Pace & Nagy are having a private zoom call with journalists at the minute. Not available for fans to listen to which is unusual but unsurprising.

Sounds like drafting a QB is definitely on the table and Nagy confirmed he'll call plays this season. Can't wait for 2021 to be done.

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/1378010979733270531?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Oat23 wrote: »
    Pace & Nagy are having a private zoom call with journalists at the minute. Not available for fans to listen to which is unusual but unsurprising.

Sounds like drafting a QB is definitely on the table and Nagy confirmed he'll call plays this season. Can't wait for 2021 to be done.

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/1378010979733270531?s=19

What is it with Nagy and the fcuking playcalling? The lessons this year were so self-evident: his playcalling ranged from utterly predictable to unpredictable because he was doing things that were self-evidently dumb. Then he handed off that role and playcalling immediately improved. Then his fingerprints on the playcalling started to become obvious with successive weeks, and success began to fall off again.

It's mind-boggling that he can be as obtuse as to not see it, or more likely to be too arrogant to just accept that it's not his strength. I cannot fathom why we haven't moved on from these two guys, there's just no angle where I can make sense of it.

Pace to blow a lump of draft capital to get another bad QB is as sure a bet as you'll get this year now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Nagy calling the plays? Looks like Jet Sweeps are back on the menu.

Went looking out of curiosity and the Head Coach vs OC playcaller across the league last year was 13 Head Coaches to 19 OC's.

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Oat23 wrote: »
    200.gif

Man the more you look at it the better it seems. Is it ok to get excited?

It's definitely not ok to be optimistic. But excited. After two months of contemplating Nick foles and Andy dalton, it's a nice change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

this kinda fell into the bears lap . fields not going earlier was perfect . 2021 has not been cancelled . let the pats think they got their man , they didn't :)

• Advertisement

Lot of people had mocked jenkins to us at 20 and there was a lot of enthusiasm about that. By any measure, getting him in the second is tremendous value. Obviously you don't know for a long time if picks will work out but on the surface this has been a great draft so far.

Good video on Jenkins here

https://youtu.be/O1jlLUWjwDo

just watched his first press conf on youtube, seems to have a real chip on his shoulder about not going in the first round and is going to use it in a positive way . looks a first day starter to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Charles Leno being released. Bit surprising

Badabing wrote: »
    Charles Leno being released. Bit surprising

Another cap casualty, seems like it kind of undoes some of the progress in the draft in terms of line depth. I hope the plan is to get another, cheaper, veteran lt, as otherwise the plan would have to be to have jenkins start there, which is potentially setting him up to fail and at least isn't playing to his strength.

But tough decisions are required at the moment I suppose, and Leno has been on the slide since 2018.

Another cap casualty, seems like it kind of undoes some of the progress in the draft in terms of line depth. I hope the plan is to get another, cheaper, veteran lt, as otherwise the plan would have to be to have jenkins start there, which is potentially setting him up to fail and at least isn't playing to his strength.

But tough decisions are required at the moment I suppose, and Leno has been on the slide since 2018.

Hub Arkush asked Pace about Leno, line depth and the cap directly in the post-draft presser on Monday and as part of his response he mentioned that they were monitoring the FA market and potential cuts around the league. Dodged the question about Leno's future and obviously we know now it was because they were releasing him.

I'd say they will bring in a vet or at least try.

Just signed some more WR depth. Maybe that means Miller will be on the move.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1389706577050013696

I know Miller has regressed from his early form but can someone explain to me why javon wims isn't on the chopping block? I mean if we're dropping idiots who get ejected for slapping saints trolls he would be my first in line...

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2021/5/27/22456849/chicago-bears-ownership-mccaskey-strife-may-lead-to-team-sale-arlington-heights-pat-ryan-sell

Rumours the McCaskeys may be selling the team as the family is fractured about its ownership and inheritance after Virginia. My first thought was to celebrate, but then I read the name Jeff Bezos and nearly puked up my own balls. I wouldn't continue to support the team of he owned them, to be honest.

Anyway whoever takes over in that situation will almost certainly have "moving out of soldier field" as item 1 on the agenda, which would be very sad historically, for fans, and for the city, and for the league which has a dwindling number of city center stadia, but which makes absolute sense and is inevitable eventually I think, because of the limitations of soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Soldier Field is an absolute pain in the @ss to get to and to navigate. And renovating it years ago without putting a roof on it with the winters Chicago gets was madness. However, despite its faults, I'm strongly against any move out of the place. It still generates a great atmosphere, and you can really make a full day out of it downtown.

Arlington is mentioned in the article, and thats so far out of the city it'd be the equivalent of taking the Dubs out of Croke Park and making them play their home games in Navan.

Soldier Field is an absolute pain in the @ss to get to and to navigate. And renovating it years ago without putting a roof on it with the winters Chicago gets was madness. However, despite its faults, I'm strongly against any move out of the place. It still generates a great atmosphere, and you can really make a full day out of it downtown.

Arlington is mentioned in the article, and thats so far out of the city it'd be the equivalent of taking the Dubs out of Croke Park and making them play their home games in Navan.

I agree with all of that, although as bad as the Soldier Field renovations were, they have some excuse with the fact that they don't own the field and were restricted in what they could do. I do really enjoy the fact that you can get there via public transport and when you come out of Soldier Field you're right there in the city and can go enjoy the place.

Arlington would be a bummer but looking at the Cowboys, the Patriots and the 49ers, it could definitely be much worse.

But if they make a covered stadium, we won't be able to prattle on about "Bear weather". Think of what a cultural loss that would be.

• Advertisement

But if they make a covered stadium, we won't be able to prattle on about "Bear weather". Think of what a cultural loss that would be.

The whole "Let's make them come to Chi-Town and deal with the weather" spiel hasn't really stopped teams beating us at home though :pac:

It's a tough one, and obviously someone going to Soldier Field 10 or so times a year would have more of a knowledge base than me, who was there for a game once, 15 years ago. Beautiful stadium location, let down by an old, small stadium that is by all accounts a pain to get to either by train/metro or parking.

Is Arlington really that far "out" though, when you consider the size of the city. It's got a train station in the car park, it's one street off of a highway for car access, big site to get restaurants, bars, parking, maybe even bung a hotel in there.

The only thing I suppose is as the Chicago Mayor says, they have a lease/contract for another 12 years so this whole thing could come to nothing.

The whole "Let's make them come to Chi-Town and deal with the weather" spiel hasn't really stopped teams beating us at home though :pac:

I should note I was being sarcastic. Most NFL teams play in **** weather of some kind!

Is Arlington really that far "out" though, when you consider the size of the city. It's got a train station in the car park, it's one street off of a highway for car access, big site to get restaurants, bars, parking, maybe even bung a hotel in there.

It's not that far out, no, as i said comparing to Boston or San Francisco it's not terrible. But I like the idea of a city center stadium, it's old fashioned but it just feels right to me. Selfishly (and I've only been to two games in soldier field but I recently have moved to Chicago and want to go more often) it will make going to a game a way bigger hassle from the south suburbs but I understand why they would want to move.

The only thing I suppose is as the Chicago Mayor says, they have a lease/contract for another 12 years so this whole thing could come to nothing.[/quote]

I didn't know about that, that probably does protect it for a while!

although the city is broke so I wonder if they could buy out of the lease. Would make a change from cities forking over money to these obscenely wealthy businesses just to keep them there while the city itself crumbles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

although the city is broke so I wonder if they could buy out of the lease. Would make a change from cities forking over money to these obscenely wealthy businesses just to keep them there while the city itself crumbles.

Let the bears pay the bear tax....

peteeeed wrote: »

I think moving to a new stadium while keeping Ted and the McCaskeys around is the worst case scenario.

Good news from training camp is Justin Fields is impressing people. Bad news is we have no offensive line. We were thin at tackle to begin with but with injuries (minor) Matt Nagy didn't even know who was going to play LT in practice today when asked at his presser this morning. We're f*cked unless Pace can sign someone. Russell Okung? Maybe they are waiting to see if anyone decent is cut from another team but can they afford to wait..

edit: The line today according to Kevin Fishbain

Bars, Whitehair, Mustipher, Hambright, Simmons

🙈

Do you remember that time when Cutler got sacked nine times in the first half? It would take a stark mad raving lunatic to send Fields out to get snaps with the situation the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So not in favour of sending him out under the big lights in LA on SNF on the opening weekend to get hit more times when a Frazier vs Ali fight then ?

That was mainly Mike Martz' fault to be fair. He kept calling 7 step drop plays. The Giants knew what was coming and blitzed like the 85 Bears.

• Advertisement

quite a few reports that mr fields was on fire today ...............just saying :)

Advertisement