Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scanning negatives

• 06-03-2021 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking ideally to find a 2nd hand scanner for 35mm negs.

I probably don't do enough to justify the price of a new V500/600 or whatever the number is these days, and there doesn't seem to be a market for second hand scanners.

Has anyone gotten any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

ezra_ wrote:
    I probably don't do enough to justify the price of a new V500/600 or whatever the number is these days, and there doesn't seem to be a market for second hand scanners.

I think most people who get them keep them until they die, then upgrade.
    The v500/600 etc... don't tend to be super expensive, especially not considering the quality vs "truly" cheap scanners.

If you're going to find one, it'll likely be on eBay.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Heebie wrote: »
    I think most people who get them keep them until they die, then upgrade.
    The v500/600 etc... don't tend to be super expensive, especially not considering the quality vs "truly" cheap scanners.

If you're going to find one, it'll likely be on eBay.

Good luck

The current model, the v850 is going for over a grand as far as I can see.

I can't seem to find sites that sell the v550/600 and have them in stock.

Hens teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭65535

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they have a very poor reputation as regards quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

65535 wrote: »

You’ll be laughed at for posting that but I bought a similar one for €30 from Aldi recently. Produced about a 2-3mb image.

Nowhere near the original resolution but ideal to digitise ohr family snaps over the years that haven’t been viewed for close to a decade at this point.

Was also able to do some negatives that my parents had where no photos exist any more. The prints were lost in a house fire in a relatives house back in the 60s.

Got back the only photo that existed of my dad as a teenager and one of my grandfather in uniform that nobody remembered ever seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

ezra_ wrote: »

Hens teeth!

Keep watching Amazon - they appear from time to time.
    They had 16 V600s in stock on Friday - now sold out again.
    Normal price range is £238-£268 or so - was actually £238 on Friday.

(As you can guess, I was also in the market for one !)

they have a very poor reputation as regards quality.

Which ones do?

That's several models higher in the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Heebie wrote: »
    Which ones do?
    The sort on that ebay link.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭65535

I'm sure there are better quality USB ones but I just wanted to save old family snaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 DekkoD3

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NicoleDel

I've been scanning in negatives using the photo negative scanner app. You can download it to your phone. Free to try then 4.99. I used ipad on highest brightness and white background for back light but pixels cause a bit of an issue so bought huion back light.

Hens teeth!

V600 in stock on Amazon UK today (12/3/2021) - will probably be gone by tonight !

Cameraman wrote: »
    V600 in stock on Amazon UK today (12/3/2021) - will probably be gone by tonight !

Bought!

ezra_ wrote:
    Bought!

Sweet! Enjoy!

All sold out now, I think there were 11 left when I pulled the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

65535 wrote: »

I have an Aldi/Lidl one that I must throw up on eBay. It wasn't the worst quality, but I got an Epson V550 not too long afterwards.

And now to the next question (as I await delivery)

What software?!
    The internet seems to throw up either VueScan or SilverFast and the discussions of the two are... tribal.

does it come bundled with a trial?
    i got a full version of silverfast with mine, but as it was the V750, i'd have expected no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

does it come bundled with a trial?
    i got a full version of silverfast with mine, but as it was the V750, i'd have expected no less.

My V550 made no mention of silver fast, but a couple of months ago I went to the silver fast website and out in my scanner's serial number, and it gave me a download. I installed it and have it a whirl, but the results were mediocre. I suspect there's some stuff to be tweaked in the settings, but I haven't taken the time to look, as I'm happy enough with the Epson software for now.

That said, if anyone could point me towards a simple guide to silverfast, I might give it another go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I've used vuescan for years. Never took to silverfast, in part because they're a little ... predatory ... when it comes to licensing i.e. having to have two different licenses if you have two scanners on the machine, plus I don't know what their upgrade path is like WRT licensing. Vuescan you buy the pro license once and you can use it on any amount of scanners and you get all the updates. Plus Ed Hamrick, the vuescan guy, is pretty responsive to support issues and queries (or at least was the couple of times I had to get in touch a while back).

It is true that vuescan takes a little getting used to, I don't know how that compares to silverfast. Plus getting good colour balance from vuescan from dodgy negatives can be a bit of a black art sometimes.

And now to the next question (as I await delivery)

What software?!
    The internet seems to throw up either VueScan or SilverFast and the discussions of the two are... tribal.

I just used the software that came with the scanner. Then Lightroom (and very occasionally Photoshop) to finish.

Scanner has arrived!

I actually had to cancel the UK order and get it in from amazon.de, as it never arrived in the UK.

Seems also that Epson don't make software for the new version of mac, so I got a free Silverfast licence with it.

Advertisement