Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The GOAT?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Your not making much sense

You just said missed months of training at a time so when its time for fight camp he could take Ped's to train harder for longer and recover better ,

He could also take things like EPO to help with Cardio considering as you say he misses months of training ,

In his defence your making him sound more guilty

I'm saying he could, not saying he did.

But I'm also making the point that in the world of high level sport and marginal gains, I think that living clean and training year round would lead to far better ability to maximise your potential than living a party lifestyle and going awol from the gym for months at a time and then doping during camps to try and offset some of the damage you've done to yourself during your off time.

Guilt doesn't come into my thinking, just who I think is the best fighter of all time.

I completely accept that many (most, maybe?) would think differently and think that failed drug tests automatically rule you out of the running, but I think each case should be looked at on its merits in the world of hypothetical GOAT discussions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

GOAT "Greatest" of all time!
    How can you be Great and a drug cheat!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

DJ, Nunes or GSP

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I'm saying he could, not saying he did.

But I'm also making the point that in the world of high level sport and marginal gains, I think that living clean and training year round would lead to far better ability to maximise your potential than living a party lifestyle and going awol from the gym for months at a time and then doping during camps to try and offset some of the damage you've done to yourself during your off time.

Guilt doesn't come into my thinking, just who I think is the best fighter of all time.

I completely accept that many (most, maybe?) would think differently and think that failed drug tests automatically rule you out of the running, but I think each case should be looked at on its merits in the world of hypothetical GOAT discussions!
    The GOAT by definition wouldn't need to cheat to win and JJ didn't just cheat once, or twice, or even three times he got caught cheating four times. So he potentially cheated in many more considering how difficult it is to actually catch people doping. If JJ didn't need to cheat to win then he wouldn't have cheated. He chose to take performance enhancers knowing what effect it would have on his reputation. Fanboys will continue to defend him though no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I give it to GSP but that could open up to Khabib if he ever decided to go at WW and became champ there.

Bones is an unreal fighter but a GOAT wouldn't hide under a cage to avoid a drug test.

I wonder what Junie Browning is up to these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fair play to Izzy for having a go at glory and becoming a contender on this list ,it just didn't pay off,

Wish the likes of Khabib at least gave it a go they didn't and that 's why I wouldn't have them in the GOAT talk

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jones - while a great talent can't be considered seriously. No other sport would a competitor be considered the greatest of all time after failing multiple drug tests. He's looked pretty **** too since he's off the juice.

Khabib - I think his dominance in fights puts him up there, he beat the outstanding challengers in his division in his last 3 fights easily. I think he could fight 5 more times and still retire undefeated to be honest.

GSP - the GOAT for me, an unbelievable resume of wins against some of the best WW in MMA. Technically superb and a real superstar of the sport. It's a crying shame he has been retired/inactive for his prime years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Let's say Khabib didn't retire, who challenges him? How many dominant performances does he rack up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

JJayoo wrote: »
    Let's say Khabib didn't retire, who challenges him? How many dominant performances does he rack up

Nobody.

However, his record doesn't contain the same calibre of opponent as Jon Jones.

If you include Jones in the debate (which I do) then he has to be GOAT over Khabib

JJayoo wrote: »

For me he simply hasn't fought enough top class guys to in the conversation
    How many title defence's ? is it 2 ? not near enough ,

Also the fact he never a mentioned of going up a weight kills his chances for me,

His style is to bully his opponent so his lack of motivation to ever give Welterweight shot which is stacked with big wrestler says it all about how he himself thinks the move would go,

For example if Conor McGregor had of stayed at Feather weight how would people have looked back on him ? The fella had the guts and no fear of losing to go fight bigger guys ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭xtal191

For me he simply hasn't fought enough top class guys to in the conversation
    How many title defence's ? is it 2 ? not near enough ,

Also the fact he never a mentioned of going up a weight kills his chances for me,

His style is to bully his opponent so his lack of motivation to ever give Welterweight shot which is stacked with big wrestler says it all about how he himself thinks the move would go,

For example if Conor McGregor had of stayed at Feather weight how would people have looked back on him ? The fella had the guts and no fear of losing to go fight bigger guys ,

McGregor would've easily been the featherweight GOAT if he stayed in that division. For me Khabib is probably the lightweight GOAT but def not overall

xtal191 wrote: »
    McGregor would've easily been the featherweight GOAT if he stayed in that division. For me Khabib is probably the lightweight GOAT but def not overall

Ye no problem with Khabib being the lightweight goat ,

Also the P4P rankings wreck heads Khabib is probably 1 or 2 but refused to change weights then guys like Conor who are multiple weigh champions are further down makes no sense, by the way I'm not a Conor fan he is just an good example to use ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

The GOAT is either Aldo, GSP or DJ. Jones has great names on his CV, but not always at great times in their career. 2 wins over DC easily his best wins, the Gus fight was entertaining but it's not like Gus is this all time great, Jones should have been able to run through him.

GSP has longevity, avenged his losses, fought extremely gifted fighters, and for good measure won in two divisions at the highest level.

Aldo had the most dominant streak in MMA history, going 18-0 over the course of just under 10 years. Best TDD in MMA history. Great varied striking and has good wins post prime.

DJ has the best combination of skills ever, in my opinion. Pretty much no weaknesses in his game. He should have got the nod vs Cejudo 2 and a win like that would be just another feather in his cap.

The GOAT is either Aldo, GSP or DJ. Jones has great names on his CV, but not always at great times in their career. 2 wins over DC easily his best wins, the Gus fight was entertaining but it's not like Gus is this all time great, Jones should have been able to run through him.

GSP has longevity, avenged his losses, fought extremely gifted fighters, and for good measure won in two divisions at the highest level.

Aldo had the most dominant streak in MMA history, going 18-0 over the course of just under 10 years. Best TDD in MMA history. Great varied striking and has good wins post prime.

DJ has the best combination of skills ever, in my opinion. Pretty much no weaknesses in his game. He should have got the nod vs Cejudo 2 and a win like that would be just another feather in his cap.

Aldo for me was well on course but it he fell apart in his late 20's to be considered the GOAT,

Hard to believe he is younger than the likes Dillashaw & Mendes and the same age as DJ & Triple C

Advertisement