Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech and language therapy UL

• 30-07-2011 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey, im starting the UL course in a few weeks and im just wondering is there anyone else starting too?
    I also just got accepted to Essex university and I was wondering does anyone know which would be the better course? Essex is cheaper and I know both colleges are accredited by ISALT and the Royal college in the Uk, but unofficially where would be the best place to go?
    Starting to freak out a bit too with the course load :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 usernamessuck

Hey I am starting in UL too, can't say I know anything about the other course in Essex, but am also starting to freak about course load as everyone i meet keeps saying how intense it will be..:eek:

Have you been reading over the summer??? I struggling to get through it, uh oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fodr

Hey, yeah the reading is ridiculous!! Im reading it but a lot of it (if not most of it) is going straight over my head :confused: I dont have a relevant degree and I think I got in my pure chance, I did a few months work experience with the bros of charity and I think my reference is what did it for me!! Its gonna be tough, but I think most of us will be in the same boat!
    you sorted with the immunisations and accomodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 EllaD

Hi,

Im looking into doing that course next year and have been reading up about it. Would be great to find out how you get on when you start! Im not sure if I have enough work experience as such but did placement while in college with autism and visual impairment, but looking into doing some voluntary work at the minute. Are you moving to Limerick or from there? I would have to move from Dublin and not sure to go to campus or get my own accommodation, what have you done? Trying to figure if I can afford it first!!!
    Best of luck starting anyway!!

I've had quite few problems with immunizations cos didn't have BCG when i was young, but getting it sorted now, had to go to Travel Clinic in Dublin to find a Dr who would give it to adults (the official BCG clinic here told me i didn't need it as i wasn't really a healthcare worker - as a S&L student), anyways it will be sorted by Sept. As for the reading, I dunno I am only half way through one of text books, the medical science one is sitting there taunting me everyday i haven't got past ch 1!!! I did psychology but haven't looked at science since school. But everyone will be in same boat....I hope:)

ps...haven't got accommodation yet but am looking, oh and I worked for BOC too for few months:), based my whole application on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Quibbler

Hi !

I'm starting the course too and was freaking out about the readings too! I haven't actually got any of the books yet but I've been speaking to a few other girls who are starting and they are the same so I think everyone really is in the same boat!

I'm really excited to be starting but I'm starting to get so nervous now too!

:)

• Advertisement

Quibbler wrote: »
    Hi !

I'm starting the course too and was freaking out about the readings too! I haven't actually got any of the books yet but I've been speaking to a few other girls who are starting and they are the same so I think everyone really is in the same boat!

I'm really excited to be starting but I'm starting to get so nervous now too!

:)

oh i feel better now ha ha...yea it's hard to get this reading done esp in the summertime:), I have to say I am quite nervous too, the thoughts of placements etc freakin' me out ha ha, but guess has to be done.

ps... a note to ELLA D, I'd say volunteering is a good idea and also try to get shadowing with a Speech Therapist if possible, you can just call them from phone book and ask... I hadn't this done but they do look at that as good experience. Good Luck!:)

ps... a note to ELLA D, I'd say volunteering is a good idea and also try to get shadowing with a Speech Therapist if possible, you can call them from phone book and ask... I hadn't this donefor the interview but they do look at that as really good experience. Good Luck!:)

I know the idea of placements is really nerve wrecking! I just can't believe how quickly time is flying by! Just over 3 weeks now!!

EllaD-well you seem to have more experience then I do so I'd say you're pretty sorted! you have another few months before the applications have to be in so if you can get any other varied work experience with both children and adults then you would be sound. if you wanna know in the next couple of months how the course is going just PM me and Ill fill you in in all the shiz :)

future SLT peeps- Im thinking bout on campus accom, perhaps cappavilla or something like that, any suggestions? iv never been to limerick before so im not too sure what to expect. oh also were the vaccinations expensive? im on the medical card any idea if its covered?

fodr wrote: »
    EllaD-well you seem to have more experience then I do so I'd say you're pretty sorted! you have another few months before the applications have to be in so if you can get any other varied work experience with both children and adults then you would be sound. if you wanna know in the next couple of months how the course is going just PM me and Ill fill you in in all the shiz :)

future SLT peeps- Im thinking bout on campus accom, perhaps cappavilla or something like that, any suggestions? iv never been to limerick before so im not too sure what to expect. oh also were the vaccinations expensive? im on the medical card any idea if its covered?

I don't know much about campus accom other than the fact that cappavilla is right beside the health sciences building! I know another girl starting the course who has gone for campus too but not sure which one. I went for off campus accommodation!

I only had to get the hep b vaccinations in the end and I think they were around
    €40 each!

Do you guys know any others starting? I can't believe it's so soon!

• Advertisement

I only had to pay for BCG which was 60 euro consult fee plus 50 euro more for test/vaccination.... I had others already. I got off campus accommodation too, just today:), bout 15 min walk from college. I don't know anyone else starting - except you guys ha ha, seems to be loads of rooms going around the University area, check Daft (Castletroy area)...

im getting some of the vaccinations tomorrow and getting blood tests to see if im immune to others (chicken pox etc...) I know it says the form has to be sent bk to the college by the 15th but does that include the immunisation booklet too, cos there is no way im gonna have all the vacc's done by then! I'v also got a chronic fear of needles so this is gonna be torturous :(
    have no idea about who else is starting, we start on the 25th yeah? have an eminem ticket for the 24th in Bangor, Down and starting to think I should sell it!

im getting some of the vaccinations tomorrow and getting blood tests to see if im immune to others (chicken pox etc...) I know it says the form has to be sent bk to the college by the 15th but does that include the immunisation booklet too, cos there is no way im gonna have all the vacc's done by then! I'v also got a chronic fear of needles so this is gonna be torturous :(
    have no idea about who else is starting, we start on the 25th yeah? have an eminem ticket for the 24th in Bangor, Down and starting to think I should sell it!

The hep b vaccines are given over a course of about 6 months so I was only able to get two of them in time for the course (3rd is due in November) so I just sent the form back anyway with the details of the other vaccinations.

If it helps at all, I am really bad with needles etc. too and was terrified going in for my vaccinations! But the two shots I had were totally fine! I literally couldn't believe that they were over so quickly!

Yeah 25th is the start date! Can't believe how soon that is :eek:

yeah its so soon :eek: and still havent fully made up my mind where to go! Like job prospects here are quite weak at the moment so im thinkin maybe England is the best option, ahh i dont know, i keep toying with both ideas!! really need to make a firm decision this weekend!!
    on a lighter note, just got the hep B vaccination and it was grand :)

I rang a while ago about booklet and was told everything had to be in by 15th.... BUT then i had loads of hassle with my vaccinations so won't have last one done till end Aug, I rang and left a voicemail to UL explaing this, no one rang back so presume it be ok to hand in booklet on 25th!!

On another note, good luck deciding which course to pick, is the Essex one 2 years also??

yeah well I have got the first hep B vacc but need to get the other 2 so there gonna have to wait for my booklet! Yeah Essex is 2 years aswell, I mean both courses are accredited in the same countries and everything Im just wondering for future employment what college/course is looked more favourably upon, if any of them!
    anyway I think I'v settled on Limerick (dont really have much time to play around with) cos its close to home so I'm happy out :)

It's tough deciding which one is better, i haven't a clue...but think UL has a pretty good reputation so you can't go too far wrong lol....I'm going to try and enjoy next few weeks of freedom anyway although those books are still there waiting to be read :(, I can't get the head down at all!!!

yeah i think im 90% sure its Limerick! oh yeah we only have 2 weeks left I'm definitely forgetting about the reading, its not making sense anyway I read the science one and I swear to god it was like gibberish!! im not bothered bout the rest of it I'll read them during the first semester but for now I'm gonna enjoy the last of the freedom, its all we're gonna get for the next 2 years (or so they say ;) )

yeah i think im 90% sure its Limerick! oh yeah we only have 2 weeks left I'm definitely forgetting about the reading, its not making sense anyway I read the science one and I swear to god it was like gibberish!! im not bothered bout the rest of it I'll read them during the first semester but for now I'm gonna enjoy the last of the freedom, its all we're gonna get for the next 2 years (or so they say ;) )

sounds like a plan to me, enjoy last few weeks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shorter

hey! ye guys are so lucky to be starting.. i am hoping to apply either this year or next year need to get experience... could ye possibly tell me what the names and authors of the books ye have to read are as i would like to start now that would be great thanks :)

• Advertisement

http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/739401828.pdf
    that link shows you what you have to have read for this year's course, I dont know if it changes year to year

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shorter

thank you so much for that :) good luck with the course :)

Hi fodr and usernamessuck! I just saw the replies to my post, havent been on this for a while. Thanks a mil for your replies. Just saw the applications for next year are open now and got little butterflies!! I think I have good working experience in that I am working in social care but in the speech and language experience I havent got much so I have started trying to sort out shadowing on days off work and look into volunteering. Hope everything is going well!! I might be asking ye more questions in the next few months too. Best of luck!

Hey! How are you all getting on in the course? Is it as intense as I think its gonna be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Donna10

Hey everyone :)

I'm really interested in becoming a Speech Therapist, but I'm just not 100% sure! If i was to do it, I'd love to get the master in UL...which I see some of you have gotten into, fantastic and hope it's going well. I'd love to know what you's think of the course there? And my big question is....how medical is it? The medical side of it all is what is holding me back :confused:
    Linguistics was part of my BA and I'm doing an MA in Linguistics now, so I'm in the right direction and I've done some stuff on lang impairment throughout my degree and I've shadowed a few Speech therapists...but I just don't whether to go for it or not! :confused:
    What would you suggest? and again, how medical is the UL course?

I really hope someone can help :)
    Thanks a million,
    Donna :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ulslt

Donna10 wrote: »
    Hey everyone :)

I'm really interested in becoming a Speech Therapist, but I'm just not 100% sure! If i was to do it, I'd love to get the master in UL...which I see some of you have gotten into, fantastic and hope it's going well. I'd love to know what you's think of the course there? And my big question is....how medical is it? The medical side of it all is what is holding me back :confused:
    Linguistics was part of my BA and I'm doing an MA in Linguistics now, so I'm in the right direction and I've done some stuff on lang impairment throughout my degree and I've shadowed a few Speech therapists...but I just don't whether to go for it or not! :confused:
    What would you suggest? and again, how medical is the UL course?

I really hope someone can help :)
    Thanks a million,
    Donna :)

Hey my online records are saying I got a place. Now have to wait for the post to come to confirm it, don't wanna want presume anything till I have it on paper!! I went for an interview in the UK aswell and the interviewers had been through the postgrad themselves. They said that linguistics students tend to find the course easier than other students and that the biomedical side isn't that bad, just maybe a little boring. That was for an MSc in Sheffield which has a reputation for being more science based. They said everyone with a 2:1 is able for the masters anyway and with a masters in linguistics you definitely have an advantage! Have a psychology degree myself so I don't have a whole lot of experience on the medical or linguistic side, but my work experience with a speech and language therapist made me realise it's definitely what I want to do. Though she did warn that her undergraduate was really tough but the job at the end of it is really worth it. Hopefully someone completing the MSc in UL can give us some more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 liu83

Could anyone please share their experiences studying the SLT in UL?
    Is it that hard as they say?
    Do they have any scholarships?
    Thanks

Thanks a million for your reply and I'm so sorry I'm only writing back now. Well done if you did get a place, that's really fantastic :) It's great to hear what other people are doing in relation to Speech masters. I think I'll have to go get some more work exp and just apply everywhere maybe. It's hard to know. Well best of luck if you got a place on the course....keep us posted with how u get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ulslt

Donna10 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for your reply and I'm so sorry I'm only writing back now. Well done if you did get a place, that's really fantastic :) It's great to hear what other people are doing in relation to Speech masters. I think I'll have to go get some more work exp and just apply everywhere maybe. It's hard to know. Well best of luck if you got a place on the course....keep us posted with how u get on :)

Thanks! Received my acceptance letter on Friday! England is particularly competitive because the fees are paid by the NHS. I also got accepted to Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh but the fees are around 8,000 pounds a year. When I emailed Sheffield this is the experience they told me I should get:
    We consider a wide range of experience such as working as a Speech and Language Therapist assistant, shadowing Speech and Language Therapists in appointments, volunteering with the Stroke Association or MENCAP, working in schools in particular with autistic children or teaching English as a foreign language.

Assistant jobs are only available in the UK and its quite difficult to get experience shadowing therapists here so its great that you've already managed that. It seems to be the most important thing to have on your application especially if you apply to England.

• Advertisement

ulslt wrote: »
    Thanks! Received my acceptance letter on Friday! England is particularly competitive because the fees are paid by the NHS. I also got accepted to Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh but the fees are around 8,000 pounds a year. When I emailed Sheffield this is the experience they told me I should get:
    We consider a wide range of experience such as working as a Speech and Language Therapist assistant, shadowing Speech and Language Therapists in appointments, volunteering with the Stroke Association or MENCAP, working in schools in particular with autistic children or teaching English as a foreign language.

Assistant jobs are only available in the UK and its quite difficult to get experience shadowing therapists here so its great that you've already managed that. It seems to be the most important thing to have on your application especially if you apply to England.
    Oh well done, that's brilliant that you got it. Best of luck. Thanks so much for that info from Sheffield, it's really interesting to see what the diff colleges say.
    Well I think I may just try and get lots more experience in that area and apply everywhere! Thanks again and best of luck in the future :)

Advertisement