Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
19-07-2015, 20:11   #1
who_ru
Registered User
 
who_ru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,883
Paris Versailles

Hi,

Anybody doing the Paris Versailles 16km run this year, or have any experience of running it?

I've signed up for it and just wanted a bit of advice, dos and don'ts etc, is there a section over cobbles I wonder? Hope not.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers.
who_ru is offline  
Advertisement
20-07-2015, 09:28   #2
TFBubendorfer
Moderator
 
TFBubendorfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,730
I haven't but this guy has:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/p...es-report.html
TFBubendorfer is offline  
(2) thanks from:
20-07-2015, 10:49   #3
An_Reathai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 52
That's a proper climb at mile 4!
An_Reathai is offline  
20-07-2015, 13:44   #4
Run and Jump
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by An_Reathai View Post
That's a proper climb at mile 4!
I used to live at the foot of that climb, the Route des Gardes in Meudon, and usually went up it or down it in my training runs. It's a real wall of a climb alright, like three Mount Anvilles (in Dublin) one after the other.

Never did Paris-Versailles but always heard good things about the organisation, and the route is great, especially if you're a visitor. Once you get to the top of the hill, the forest of Meudon is lovely to run in.
Run and Jump is offline  
24-07-2015, 11:55   #5
who_ru
Registered User
 
who_ru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run and Jump View Post
I used to live at the foot of that climb, the Route des Gardes in Meudon, and usually went up it or down it in my training runs. It's a real wall of a climb alright, like three Mount Anvilles (in Dublin) one after the other.

Never did Paris-Versailles but always heard good things about the organisation, and the route is great, especially if you're a visitor. Once you get to the top of the hill, the forest of Meudon is lovely to run in.
Just over a mile long that climb looks like, would that be right? Taking it handy over the first 4 miles will be important with that climb on the horizon.
who_ru is offline  
Advertisement
24-07-2015, 12:04   #6
Run and Jump
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by who_ru View Post
Just over a mile long that climb looks like, would that be right? Taking it handy over the first 4 miles will be important with that climb on the horizon.
The first half-mile is the worst of it. After that, when you cross over the rail line and turn left up the avenue towards the forest, the second half is easier by comparison.

I'm heading back to Paris for a few days in August so I must head out to Meudon and run up it again for old times' sake!
Run and Jump is offline  
Thanks from:
18-04-2017, 22:25   #7
garbanzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 625
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I've just signed up for this year's one this September. I've a fair bit of training to do and would appreciate any insights from any of you good folks if you have them.

Cheers
garbanzo is offline  
19-04-2017, 11:41   #8
who_ru
Registered User
 
who_ru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I've just signed up for this year's one this September. I've a fair bit of training to do and would appreciate any insights from any of you good folks if you have them.

Cheers
I ran it in 2015 and loved it.

You'll have to collect your race number etc on the Saturday morning in Paris, the website will tell you were to collect it, then it's all about taking it relatively easy until the Sunday.

It's a big event, there is a warm up track near the start, champ de mars I think it's called. If you bring a bag to the event, clothes etc when race is complete, you can drop it at a drop point beside the track, the bags will be at the finish line when you get there. Buy a ticket for the train back to Paris in advance, saves queuing on the day after the race.

The hill at the 4 mile mark is tough, long and quite steep, But the crowds urge you on. There are refreshment points along the route, water, oranges and cubes of sugar are handed out.

Don't worry if you don't get a warm up done as it takes a long time to get all runners away, they do it in stages, fastest first etc, I was waiting about 30mins to get away so was just standing around for that time but do get to the start on time. You get a nice medal at the end of it.

I thought about running it again this year, but didn't register.

Best of luck.
who_ru is offline  
(2) thanks from:
21-04-2017, 10:52   #9
Dubgal72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,235
Class description from the '80s by Charlie Spedding, no less. Spoiler: He won

(p 104 'Last to First, Charlie Spedding)
Dubgal72 is offline  
Advertisement
26-04-2017, 14:38   #10
central park
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 368
It's still open for 2017 registration. Early bird til 30th April, €29
central park is offline  
03-10-2017, 22:49   #11
garbanzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 625
Just updating that I completed this on September 24th last. It was all pretty much as who_ru described. Superb organisation, fantastic weather and a very enjoyable experience. The Col De Garde climb is a bit grim but there is lots of encouragement from fellow runners and the crowd. Not 'Tour de France' numbers but noisy and supportive nonetheless, as only the French can be. The bands playing every few kms added to it too. Found it tough coming up the Ave de Paris into Versailles at the end but managed a final spurt to get me over the line.

Not an expensive trip either if you book the various elements well in advance. Having been on many's the boozy rugby trip to Paris down the years, it came as a bit of a surprise to find myself wandering the bars and cafés the night before drinking sparkling water.

All in all a great experience and glad I did it.
garbanzo is offline  
04-10-2017, 10:12   #12
who_ru
Registered User
 
who_ru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
Just updating that I completed this on September 24th last. It was all pretty much as who_ru described. Superb organisation, fantastic weather and a very enjoyable experience. The Col De Garde climb is a bit grim but there is lots of encouragement from fellow runners and the crowd. Not 'Tour de France' numbers but noisy and supportive nonetheless, as only the French can be. The bands playing every few kms added to it too. Found it tough coming up the Ave de Paris into Versailles at the end but managed a final spurt to get me over the line.

Not an expensive trip either if you book the various elements well in advance. Having been on many's the boozy rugby trip to Paris down the years, it came as a bit of a surprise to find myself wandering the bars and cafés the night before drinking sparkling water.

All in all a great experience and glad I did it.
Great to hear it all went well, thanks for the update.

Yes I found the last stretch into Versailles tough as well, seems to go on forever.

I think I'll go back to do it one day, maybe next year.

Well done on completing it, it's one that you'll remember for a long time.
who_ru is offline  
Thanks from:
28-01-2018, 14:21   #13
who_ru
Registered User
 
who_ru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,883
30 September 2018 - 41st edition of Paris Versailles.

Registration opens 19 February.

I think I’ll give it another bash.
who_ru is offline  
Thanks from:
01-05-2019, 21:42   #14
garbanzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 625
Inscriptions have been open a wee while now for the PV Grande Classique on Sumday 29th September.

Tempted to give it another crack after a one year break...!
💪
garbanzo is offline  
01-10-2019, 18:43   #15
garbanzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
Just updating that I completed this on September 24th last. It was all pretty much as who_ru described. Superb organisation, fantastic weather and a very enjoyable experience. The Côte De Garde climb is a bit grim but there is lots of encouragement from fellow runners and the crowd. Not 'Tour de France' numbers but noisy and supportive nonetheless, as only the French can be. The bands playing every few kms added to it too. Found it tough coming up the Ave de Paris into Versailles at the end but managed a final spurt to get me over the line.

Not an expensive trip either if you book the various elements well in advance. Having been on many's the boozy rugby trip to Paris down the years, it came as a bit of a surprise to find myself wandering the bars and cafés the night before drinking sparkling water.

All in all a great experience and glad I did it.

Completed it on Sunday 29th with my daughter. Everything I said in my post above from two years ago still holds. Only prob was it rained, Irish style, while we were waiting to get off. Thankfully it cleared up quickly. Bumped into a few Irish groups who were doing it too.

Highly recommend, very well organised.
garbanzo is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet