Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-08-2018, 23:20   #16
euser1984

i still want to know what the spike was in 2017 though
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 10:21   #17
Geuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by euser1984 View Post
i still want to know what the spike was in 2017 though

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpub...p-nie/nie2017/

Are you referring to the 7.6% growth rate as a spike?

GDP is no longer a good indicator of the standard of living in Ireland as it is heavily influenced by MNC activities/globalisation/IP, etc.
(2) thanks from:
22-08-2018, 10:23   #18
Geuze

GDP = C + I + G + X - M

You can see the growth rates of each type of spending here:

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpub...7/expenditure/
Thanks from:
22-08-2018, 14:33   #19
euser1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geuze View Post
GDP = C + I + G + X - M

You can see the growth rates of each type of spending here:

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpub...7/expenditure/
the bigger that blue rectangle then the worse the economy is it seems

the retailers are quick to drop and close doors when a dip comes
22-08-2018, 14:40   #20
euser1984

and people living it large in the current "good times" like to roll out dosh for products they desire
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 14:43   #21
Wanderer78

Quote:
and people living it large in the current "good times" like to roll out dosh for products they desire
my favorite economic phrase of the week, 'we cant get enough of what we dont need'!
22-08-2018, 16:17   #22
euser1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
my favorite economic phrase of the week, 'we cant get enough of what we dont need'!
true but it also runs the economy - at least "now" anyway!
Thanks from:
22-08-2018, 16:19   #23
Wanderer78

Quote:
true but it also runs the economy - at least "now" anyway!
is it running it or ruining it?
22-08-2018, 16:20   #24
euser1984

Quote:
is it running it or ruining it?
part and parcel but the consumers are ruining it for themselves atm and nobody else
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 16:22   #25
euser1984

however, they are not the only ones responsible but it is human nature - in business and consumers because business men are consumers too
22-08-2018, 16:27   #26
Wanderer78

Quote:
part and parcel but the consumers are ruining it for themselves atm and nobody else
does it need to be part and parcel, our planet is screaming at us to stop what we re currently doing, we re seriously endangering the survivability of future generations by continuing our current economic approaches, and we re running out of time. this is a lot more complex than the faults of individuals such as ourselves, even though we all play a part in these failures
22-08-2018, 16:37   #27
euser1984

Quote:
does it need to be part and parcel, our planet is screaming at us to stop what we re currently doing, we re seriously endangering the survivability of future generations by continuing our current economic approaches, and we re running out of time. this is a lot more complex than the faults of individuals such as ourselves, even though we all play a part in these failures
it depends on how far away the problem is it seems

global warming is beginning to be noticed in ireland and innovation has happened in the nuclear power industry - there are organisations in place to put pressure on governments

the world health organisation are involved in this due to the effects global warming will have on populations

when crises happen, change happens. however it also includes dangerous rebel anti-state movements, and exist in ireland already, but particularly in italy

i can't say i know what the world will look like in 2030 but it will certainly be a lot different than it is now - whether better or worse, i don't know

the human race is overdue to be wiped out anyway i believe and just like nature always fights back and goes in circles it could be something as simple as a superbug

Last edited by euser1984; 22-08-2018 at 16:40.
22-08-2018, 16:46   #28
Wanderer78

Quote:
it depends on how far away the problem is it seems

global warming is beginning to be noticed in ireland and innovation has happened in the nuclear power industry - there are organisations in place to put pressure on governments

the world health organisation are involved in this due to the effects global warming will have on populations

when crises happen, change happens. however it also includes dangerous rebel anti-state movements

i can't say i know what the world will look like in 2030 but it will certainly be a lot different than it is now - whether better or worse, i don't know

the human race is overdue to be wiped out anyway i believe and just like nature always fights back and goes in circles it could be something as simple as a superbug
all fair points, but its probably a good idea we try save ourselves and other species on this planet while we can, but the forces keeping the status quo are immense. i do think another couple of serious economic crashes might just focus our minds a little more, its also important to realise the failure of state bodies in dealing with such issues, our political institutions are complicit in these failings, and must be held accountable at all times
22-08-2018, 16:54   #29
euser1984

Quote:
all fair points, but its probably a good idea we try save ourselves and other species on this planet while we can, but the forces keeping the status quo are immense. i do think another couple of serious economic crashes might just focus our minds a little more, its also important to realise the failure of state bodies in dealing with such issues, our political institutions are complicit in these failings, and must be held accountable at all times
Transparency is the answer to a lot of those questions - that is on the way as we enter the new "blockchain" era. NHS did a successful trial recently, but IBM, Deloitte, SAP etc. are all involved.

the issue is if you educated everyone on economics they would still behave like sheep

efforts are being put into saving our species and other endangered species - some humans don't mine going out to shoot rare animals though
22-08-2018, 17:28   #30
Wanderer78

Quote:
Transparency is the answer to a lot of those questions - that is on the way as we enter the new "blockchain" era. NHS did a successful trial recently, but IBM, Deloitte, SAP etc. are all involved.

the issue is if you educated everyone on economics they would still behave like sheep

efforts are being put into saving our species and other endangered species - some humans don't mine going out to shoot rare animals though
transparency is nearly always a good thing, but those that dont benefit from that will always find ways to hide, and will help to create the systems that allow them to do so. even though the world of blockchain looks interesting, i wouldnt get overly excited about it, ive been to some talks with the blockchain lovers, some a little lost in their utopian dream.

i will agree with some economic 'experts', theres actually no such thing as an economic expert, as its such a complex area, whereby even these experts will constantly bicker amongst themselves. you d be surprised at the amount of people that have become interested in the subject matter though since the crash, which is understandable, and great to see. herd mentality and group think is common amongst human populations, even individuals such as ourselves would experience these phenomenon on a regular basis, we are a complicated species, particularly in a behavioral sense

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion