Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Comments

Well, if the WRC is ever built as a railway, it would strengthen the case for Athenry Galway line to be double tracked. Therefore double tracking, passing loops and dynamic loops all become relevant.

Dumping passengers from Tuam or Ennis at Athenry waiting for the delayed train to arrive because of the late arrival of the other train is not going to help the passengers.

Is that not already happening?

https://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2020/01/22/4184680-double-track-for-athenrygalway-route-in-the-pipeline/

Though to be honest, the whole of the Galway Dublin needs to be done. Its farcical sometimes on that train, stopping for 10-15 mins while waiting for another train to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭ezstreet5

DaCor wrote: »
    Is that not already happening?

https://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2020/01/22/4184680-double-track-for-athenrygalway-route-in-the-pipeline/

Though to be honest, the whole of the Galway Dublin needs to be done. Its farcical sometimes on that train, stopping for 10-15 mins while waiting for another train to pass

Strange reference in the article (and others I've read) of double tracking Athenry to Galway AND building a passing loop and second platform at Oranmore.

ezstreet5 wrote: »
    Strange reference in the article (and others I've read) of double tracking Athenry to Galway AND building a passing loop and second platform at Oranmore.

I know, I'm not sure what thats about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

simply written by someone with little rail knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Isambard wrote: »
    simply written by someone with little rail knowledge.

Like the person who referred to the 'Tuam branch' Lol. There was the Loughrea branch and the Ballinrobe branch in the vicinity but never a Tuam branch. :D

• Advertisement

Well, if the WRC is ever built as a railway, it would strengthen the case for Athenry Galway line to be double tracked. Therefore double tracking, passing loops and dynamic loops all become relevant.

Dumping passengers from Tuam or Ennis at Athenry waiting for the delayed train to arrive because of the late arrival of the other train is not going to help the passengers.

And applying similar logic, if (when) the Galway-to-Dublin Greenway is built, it would strengthen the case for a connecting greenway on the WRC north from Athenry. And it just happens that the Galway-to-Dublin Greenway is one of four named greenway projects in the Programme for Government now being deliberated.

One would think that a true "greenway champion" politician representing East Galway, and one that likely will be part of a grand coalition, would be doing cartwheels over this "pleased-to-see" gift.

But no. Crickets on the Galway-to-Dublin Greenway because we cannot upset our IFA friends. Instead, we get a frantic (and disingenuous) reading-in to the Programme as providing "fresh hope" for a bicycle trail on the WRC. Most of us here (of all opinions) have read the Programme, and would probably agree that it is quite neutral regarding the WRC "rail versus trail" question. My opinion would be that the Programme slightly endorses rail reactivation, but is by no means conclusive.

My point here is that Deputy Ciarán Cannon is not really a "Greenway Champion," but rather a champion of himself. He is very subtle. So whether you support a greenway or a railway (or both), beware of his carefully crafted lip service. (And I cannot accept a tinfoil hat from DaCor until s/he reads this twice).

https://connachttribune.ie/programme-for-government-brings-hope-for-east-galway-greenway-says-cannon/

And applying similar logic, if (when) the Galway-to-Dublin Greenway is built, it would strengthen the case for a connecting greenway on the WRC north from Athenry. And it just happens that the Galway-to-Dublin Greenway is one of four named greenway projects in the Programme for Government now being deliberated.

One would think that a true "greenway champion" politician representing East Galway, and one that likely will be part of a grand coalition, would be doing cartwheels over this "pleased-to-see" gift.

But no. Crickets on the Galway-to-Dublin Greenway because we cannot upset our IFA friends. Instead, we get a frantic (and disingenuous) reading-in to the Programme as providing "fresh hope" for a bicycle trail on the WRC. Most of us here (of all opinions) have read the Programme, and would probably agree that it is quite neutral regarding the WRC "rail versus trail" question. My opinion would be that the Programme slightly endorses rail reactivation, but is by no means conclusive.

My point here is that Deputy Ciarán Cannon is not really a "Greenway Champion," but rather a champion of himself. He is very subtle. So whether you support a greenway or a railway (or both), beware of his carefully crafted lip service. (And I cannot accept a tinfoil hat from DaCor until s/he reads this twice).

https://connachttribune.ie/programme-for-government-brings-hope-for-east-galway-greenway-says-cannon/

Read it once, here's your tinfoil hat.

With regards to the Galway - Dublin greenway, progress on that was dealt a severe blow by the ham fisted approach of Galway Co-Co. Since then the route has progressed to Athlone.

The Whitegates to the Athlone marina section is to go construction in September 2020 and Westmeath CoCo received approval from An Bord Pleanála for the construction of a new pedestrian and cycleway bridge across the Shannon in Athlone. Site investigations are currently underway for that at the moment. Best as I can tell, thats due to open in 2021.

As for the remaining section, see below
    After a five-year pause, the largest section of the Galway to Dublin Cycleway is being developed with a fresh new start. New consultants have been appointed to start with a blank canvas in developing a route for the Galway to Athlone section of the circa 270km cycleway, that will link Galway and Dublin.​

A dedicated Project Office is being established in Ballinasloe and the consultants and Landowner Liaison Officers from Galway, Roscommon and Westmeath County Councils will be available to meet landowners and the public at the Project Office, when the COVID restrictions are lifted A project telephone number, email address and website will also be established over the coming weeks and these will be publicised.​

RPS Consultants from Galway have been appointed to undertake all of the environmental assessments required and design a route for the project. Their first task will be to assess and determine the lands within the study area that are already in state ownership, including those owned by Government Agencies, Government Departments and Local Authorities. This will be followed by a constraints study of the study area, including public consultation, to identify physical, legal, archaeological and environmental constraints that have potential to impact the design and location of the Cycleway.

​In addition to the technical assessments, there will be a number of focused periods of public consultation, during 2020 and 2021.

The design will take cognisance of the 5 ‘S’ criteria set out by the Government of Ireland for developing Greenways, i.e. the route should be Scenic; Sustainable; Strategic; with lots to See and Do; and Substantially Segregated with Shared use.

So, to answer your question, there's nothing to create a song and dance about yet until consultations start. Also, just to note, you conveniently neglect to mention the fact that he is the TD for East Galway so the route will be going through his constituency no matter what. He is not going to be pitting towns against each other and if you think he should you understand little about politics.

From a personal perspective, it would be better if this route didn't go through Athenry and instead went through Loughrea, which would have 2 benefits

1. Spread the gains of greenways to more Galway towns
    2. Allow for an additional spur to connect Athenry to Loughrea via greenway

Longer terms, I'd love to see additional spurs:

1. Going to Loughrea on to Gort and then on to Ennis thereby allowing for a connection via Ennistymon to a coastal route and,
    2. Going from Loughrea to Portumna which would allow for connection to a Shannon greenway when this gets off the drawing board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

My point here is that Deputy Ciarán Cannon is not really a "Greenway Champion," but rather a champion of himself. He is very subtle. So whether you support a greenway or a railway (or both), beware of his carefully crafted lip service.

Out of all the words ever written about the WRC on this board, this is the best and most accurate statement I for one have ever read in this place...

Your tinfoil ball made it into the bin (okay, on the second shot). Seriously bro, I don't understand your affinity for this shytehook politician. It was not the 'ham fisted approach of Galway Co-Co' that delayed our greenway by five years, but the solo-run of Cannon promising 'No CPOs' to farmers. That is why you will NEVER hear Ciarán support the Athlone to Galway segment. Politically, he can't, because of a line he drew in the sand (without party support) before greenways were sexy.

And...if you live in Athenry, and believe the Athlone-Galway greenway should not pass through Athenry, let's see if there's some Reynolds Wrap left.

• Advertisement

Your tinfoil ball made it into the bin (okay, on the second shot). Seriously bro, I don't understand your affinity for this shytehook politician. It was not the 'ham fisted approach of Galway Co-Co' that delayed our greenway by five years, but the solo-run of Cannon promising 'No CPOs' to farmers. That is why you will NEVER hear Ciarán support the Athlone to Galway segment. Politically, he can't, because of a line he drew in the sand (without party support) before greenways were sexy.

And...if you live in Athenry, and believe the Athlone-Galway greenway should not pass through Athenry, let's see if there's some Reynolds Wrap left.

It was dead in the water long before anyone spoke about CPO's, see attached.

Greaney wrote: »
    As I look at all these articles, I see a lot of contradictions here...

I wonder, if as much energy had been put into the Athlone to Galway section of the EuroVelo, would we be well into the route planning stage now??

A lost opportunity.... or is it?

Sigh, please try harder, you're just making yourself look silly, its literally 3 posts up
    After a five-year pause, the largest section of the Galway to Dublin Cycleway is being developed with a fresh new start. New consultants have been appointed to start with a blank canvas in developing a route for the Galway to Athlone section of the circa 270km cycleway, that will link Galway and Dublin.​

A dedicated Project Office is being established in Ballinasloe and the consultants and Landowner Liaison Officers from Galway, Roscommon and Westmeath County Councils will be available to meet landowners and the public at the Project Office, when the COVID restrictions are lifted A project telephone number, email address and website will also be established over the coming weeks and these will be publicised.​

RPS Consultants from Galway have been appointed to undertake all of the environmental assessments required and design a route for the project. Their first task will be to assess and determine the lands within the study area that are already in state ownership, including those owned by Government Agencies, Government Departments and Local Authorities. This will be followed by a constraints study of the study area, including public consultation, to identify physical, legal, archaeological and environmental constraints that have potential to impact the design and location of the Cycleway.

​In addition to the technical assessments, there will be a number of focused periods of public consultation, during 2020 and 2021.

The design will take cognisance of the 5 ‘S’ criteria set out by the Government of Ireland for developing Greenways, i.e. the route should be Scenic; Sustainable; Strategic; with lots to See and Do; and Substantially Segregated with Shared use.

https://www.galwaytodublincycleway.ie/athlone-castle-to-galway-city

It's the only greenway in East Galway that is a live project in actuality. When you look at projects that require CPOs, such as the M17/M18 motorways, those CPOs are still resolving even years after the project is completed. OF COURSE the majority of landowners will not consent. That does not doom the project, but rather, justifies the CPO process for worthwhile projects, which apparently, Deputy Cannon does not feel includes an Athlone to Galway Greenway.

It's the only greenway in East Galway that is a live project in actuality. When you look at projects that require CPOs, such as the M17/M18 motorways, those CPOs are still resolving even after the project is completed. OF COURSE the majority of landowners will not consent. That does not doom the project, but rather, justify the CPO process for worthwhile projects, which apparently, Deputy Cannon does not feel includes an Athlone to Galway Greenway,

Sorry, I never actually stated it in my earlier post, but I don't agree that no CPO's will be required. In fact it won't be possible without some CPO's but there will be a lot less this time around due to the change in approach which, to be honest, should have been the approach all along.

The one big benefit out of that debacle which was the first run at the Galway-Dublin greenway was it gave us the Greenway Strategy which sets down how things should be done in future to avoid issues like this in the future. So mistakes made, sure, but learned from, thankfully.

As for what Cannon said, meh, politicians say a lot of things, heck some even said they'd build a line as far as Sligo, how's that looking?

Sorry, I never actually stated it in my earlier post, but I don't agree that no CPO's will be required. In fact it won't be possible without some CPO's but there will be a lot less this time around due to the change in approach which, to be honest, should have been the approach all along.

Too many negatives. "Yes, we have no bananas?" CPOs are required for Athlone to Galway. And I also belive they are required for the WRC greenway, to a much lesser degree (but it is not, "CPO-free").
    The one big benefit out of that debacle which was the first run at the Galway-Dublin greenway was it gave us the Greenway Strategy which sets down how things should be done in future to avoid issues like this in the future. So mistakes made, sure, but learned from, thankfull.

Perhaps, but it originated in Kerry. And the South Kerry Greenway is proving that fact, and how difficult it is to establish a greenway over (now) private land.
    As for what Cannon said, meh, politicians say a lot of things, heck some even said they'd build a line as far as Sligo, how's that looking?

No better, and no worse.

Ah, the poor farmers. Cannon’s backing of the landowners was a major strategic error on his part so what else could he do but align with the angry brigade and try and stop the march of progress with the railway, so he could claim to be on the side of cyclists and all that. After all, it’s got to be easy to get votes if you’re clearly demonstrating that you’re against the tide.

I think Canute had a similar problem on the beaches of Eastern England a long time back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Sligo eye wrote: »
    Ah, the poor farmers. Cannon’s backing of the landowners was a major strategic error on his part so what else could he do but align with the angry brigade and try and stop the march of progress with the railway, so he could claim to be on the side of cyclists and all that. After all, it’s got to be easy to get votes if you’re clearly demonstrating that you’re against the tide.

I think Canute had a similar problem on the beaches of Eastern England a long time back.

And tell me did Sligo county council side with the "angry brigade" when they changed their minds and decided to support the Greenway, did Marian Harkin do the same, did Marc Macsharry do the same? Has Frank Feighan who sided with the greenway from day one sided with the "angry brigade", Did Anne Rabbitte side with the "angry bridgade" when she too chose to support the greenway? Did the various Galway cllrs side with the angry brigade when one by one they sided with the one independent cllr in the Galway chamber advocating a greenway come on board to support the idea; I am just wondering who the angry brigade are? Are they the ones angry with the continued waste of this resource? Are they the ones fed up listening to those who tell them a railway closed 50 years ago is going to be re-opened; Are they the 3,000 angry people Mums, Dads, small children, teenagers, business people who marched on the streets of Tuam asking for the greenway to happen, are these folks the angry brigade? Which way is the tide actually flowing? Is it with the greenway or railway? Mmmm interesting question why don't you go ask the 25,000 people who signed the petition, the 3,000 marchers - go ask the angry brigade....

Take a reality check, there was no march of progress for the railway, it has been dead in the water for years, it is those that have been challenged about it being re-opened methinks are now the angry brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Landowners, farmers specifically, always take an "all for one and one for all" approach when it comes to compulsory acquisitions. It's in our DNA for obvious historical reasons. The DTTAS took a ham-fisted approach to the Athlone -Galway route that left at least one landowner with his farm literally split in half. What followed was inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭blackwhite

galwaytt wrote: »

IMO it's the right decision - but strange that they've taken such a definitive step before the EY report is published.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Anyone got a link to this in the NWRA’s spatial and economic strategy as opposed to a politicians musings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Thanks for sharing galwaytt

For anyone who doesnt have time to click on the link its an article saying the QMG is included in strategy by the Northern and Western Regional Assembly (NWRA) 's Spatial and Economic Strategy 2020-2032.

Admittedly I'd never heard of that group before, but that's neither here nor there.

So I had a look and found the report in question, this is it.

I went to the rail section, my time is limited right now so forgive me.

Page 223:
    A. It shall be an objective to deliver the Athenry - Tuam - Claremorris - Sligo Rail to an appropriate level of service and to a standard capable of facilitating passenger and freight transport
    B. It shall be an objective to progress through pre-appraisal and early planning the extension of the railway from Athenry - Tuam - Claremorris - Sligo.

So to answer your question, no I don't agree its dead. Maybe this NWRA holds the same view as a lot of us, lets have both!

Will flick through the rest of that report later, its interesting, but you'd have to wonder what sort of weight the NWRA have?

Document can be found at https://www.nwra.ie/pdfs/NWRA-RSES-2020-2032.pdf

It shows the Western Rail Trail as a key greenway project

516896.png

Where it states the following

516900.png

It also states
    GREEN LINK SOUTH TO POTENTIAL FUTURE GREENWAYS
    There is potential for a walkway/cycleway connection from Collooney to Sligo which can also serve as a Smarter Travel commuter route. There would be a potential for this piece of infrastructure to link into similar regional scale greenways on closed or abandoned railways in the vicinity such as along the abandoned railway line to Enniskillen (SLNCR).

With regards to the rail corridor itself, it states
    In line with the National Development Plan, an independent review will be undertaken immediately and if the review concludes that the corridor should
    be reopened, and if that is approved by Government, the project should be prioritised during this plan period.

516898.png

516899.png

There's also a smattering of "should the WRC be realised" statements. e.g.
    Enhanced rail services (thereby supporting the transition to a low carbon region) to Dublin and commuter services between Ballina, Castlebar, Westport and Claremorris with connectivity to Galway and Limerick Metropolitan Cities and major international ports such as Shannon/Foynes, should the Western Rail Corridor be realised;

So in summary, they would like to see the rail line opened, and IF the rail report says its a good idea and IF the government approve it, it should be built but otherwise greenway all the way

Ciarán Cannon strikes again!!! (as if on cue). The NWRA's Regional Spatial and Economic Strategy 2020-2032 strongly supports reactivation of the rail line from Athenry to Claremorris.

p. 123
    KEY FUTURE PRIORITIES
    Enhanced rail services (thereby supporting the transition to a low carbon region) to Dublin and commuter services between Ballina, Castlebar, Westport and Claremorris with connectivity to Galway and Limerick Metropolitan Cities and major international ports such as Shannon/Foynes, should the Western Rail Corridor be realised

p. 140
    The development of the EU TEN-T designation is desirable for international connectivity and integrated performance of road, rail and air. The reopening of the Western Rail Corridor would present an opportunity to provide integrated rail linkage to IWA Knock SDZ, thus providing rail linkage with other centres of population and to provide alternative sustainable travel opportunities to that of road based options.

p.222
    Many gaps exist within the region’s rail network and the National Development Plan 2018-2027 confirms that the Western Rail Corridor Phase 2 from Athenry to Tuam and phase 3 to Claremorris could increase passenger, tourist and commercial use.

The Western Rail Corridor is of strategic importance as it represents a piece of key enabling and sustainable transport infrastructure for the region that presents an opportunity to effect ‘transformational change’ in the realisation of the Atlantic Economic Corridor.

REGIONAL POLICY OBJECTIVES
    RPO 6.11
    To seek commencement and completion of the review of the Western Rail Corridor project as a priority for passenger and freight transport.

Admittedly I'd never heard of that group before, but that's neither here nor there.

you'd have to wonder what sort of weight the NWRA have?

From their about page
    The Northern & Western Regional Assembly (NWRA) was established on 1st January 2015. The Border, Midland and Western Regional Assembly was established in 1999, one of two Regional Assemblies established to give effect to the division of the country into two regions for EU Structural Funds purposes.

Under the Local Government Reform Act 2014 a number of changes were made to the regional structures in Ireland. The eight regional authorities were dissolved on 1st June 2014 and their functions and staff were transferred to the Regional Assemblies. Subsequently three Regional Assemblies were established on 1st January 2015 – the NWRA, the Eastern & Midlands Regional Assembly and the Southern Regional Assembly. Together the Regional Assemblies form a strong regional structure that strengthens the development of Ireland’s regions in a co-ordinated, strategic manner.

516906.png

Document can be found at https://www.nwra.ie/pdfs/NWRA-RSES-2020-2032.pdf

It shows the Western Rail Trail as a key greenway project

516896.png

Where it states the following

516900.png

It also states

With regards to the rail corridor itself, it states

516898.png

516899.png

There's also a smattering of "should the WRC be realised" statements. e.g.

So in summary, they would like to see the rail line opened, and IF the rail report says its a good idea and IF the government approve it, it should be built but otherwise greenway all the way

Read the report rather than interpret it. It gives far more prominence to rail and includes specific objectives for rail expansion from Sligo up to Derry/Letterkenny and for the WRC right down to Galway and Limerick from Westport/Ballina and Sligo.

Read the report rather than interpret it. It gives far more prominence to rail and includes specific objectives for rail expansion from Sligo up to Derry/Letterkenny and for the WRC right down to Galway and Limerick from Westport/Ballina and Sligo.

Sure but you are ignoring the glaring caveats being IF the rail report says its a good idea and IF the government approve it, it should be built but otherwise greenway all the way

The Sligo section of the greenway is due to be opened first. I'm looking forward to going for a spin on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The report it refers to, to support their case for the WRC North has already been done as we know, and EY or somebody is sitting on it.

I suspect the GP have either seen it or a summary of it, and made it a plank in their support for the programme for Govt.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

OK here is a bit of background for you folks on the NWRA and RSES. The RSES is a strategy planning policy document which sets out Regional Planning Objectives; The RSES are reset every ten years, the RPOs have to be incorporated in County plans. Ten years ago West on Track virtually owned this document, which is why over the course of a decade the only show in town in official policy was the railway with he enforcement of RPOs into the county plans.

WOT effectively strangled any debate in local councils about this issue as the constant reference was made to the RPOs created by WOT.

Slowly but surely the greenway campaign has sort to break the stranglehold of official thinking and local political thinking. This has happened with great success. A great deal of lobbying and getting ordinary folk involved in a programme of mass submissions on every policy being considered has been part of this grinding down of the WOT view as the only accepted view.

Mark my words, the greenway campaign has been listened to and this new RSES reflects just how much and it could have been more.

The Regional planners met with the Greenway campaign in February 2019 and got a very friendly reception from the NWRA planners, no doubt WOT would have met with them as well.

None of the senior planners at the NWRA had any faith in the idea the railway line would re-open, believe me I was in the meetings with the planners who all fully accepted the view the railway was dead in the water. They supported the idea of the greenway idea going into the RSES and said it would be written into the plan.

Such was their lack of faith in any idea that the railway will be re-opened the original final draft RSES presented to the NWRA last July by the planners at the NWRA in the Railway section actually had an RPO which read as follows, I can post up the full pdf of that plan but take it from me this is what it said:

NEW RPO The Assembly supports the alternative appropriate uses for disused rail corridors including use as Greenways where it does not prevent future use for railway transport.

This RPO was removed due to massive lobbying and to give him his due, successful lobbying by Gerry "not up for discussion" Murray the SF/WOT member of the NWRA from Mayo. Gerry could clearly see what this RPO was aimed at and knew it needed removing at all costs.

Gerry "not up for discussion" Murray also I believe tried to have all the references to a greenway on the route removed from the Greenway section of the RSES but failed in this sabotage on the greenway even being mentioned in this policy document. It clearly is, and it is clearly marked on a map which follows the exact route of the closed railway.

It is true that the references to the WRC have all been maintained in the railway section of the report, in some ways it makes the RSES all things to all men. However the number one RPO in the railway section of the report is about the need for the Western Rail Corridor independent report to be published, effectively it means if the report is negative about the rail being re-opened it means the WRC is dead in the water and it means an alternative plan is clearly in place in the RSES for he closed railway as a greenway.

All this change in thinking in regional planning circles has been due to the greenway campaign no longer accepting that the only thinking in town in terms of regional planning was the West on Track View. There is an alternative view and in truth public planners have broadly embraced it (outside of Mayo)

It also clearly shows why this bloody railway report is so pivotal, no doubt this will be the fudge of all fudges and we will all take our own level of interpretation from it.

This rather long winded post gives you all a bit of background....And means the rail report needs to be decisive one way or the other, if it favours the railway build it. If it doesn, build the greenway but Lord have mercy on us all if it is a waffling bit of fudging.

• Advertisement

I suspect the GP have either seen it or a summary of it, and made it a plank in their support for the programme for Govt.

I think you will be quite surprised what the greens think about the WRC, and will not please West on Track.

Advertisement