Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
07-01-2018, 09:08   #361
swimming in a sea
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 858
It's been a very disappointing series, a terrible England team making a poor Australia team look good, I think Steve Smith is the only player from both sides that would make a current world eleven.

Hoping the South Africa v India series is better and the return of AB de Villiers is looking good..
swimming in a sea is offline  
Advertisement
07-01-2018, 13:49   #362
Conchir
Registered User
 
Conchir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming in a sea View Post
It's been a very disappointing series, a terrible England team making a poor Australia team look good, I think Steve Smith is the only player from both sides that would make a current world eleven.

Hoping the South Africa v India series is better and the return of AB de Villiers is looking good..
If you're talking about a current world eleven, surely Lyon is in there too? Leading test wicket taker for 2017.
Conchir is offline  
07-01-2018, 14:05   #363
Inquitus
Registered User
 
Inquitus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 10,655
Wouldn't surprise me at all if England regain the ashes in familiar, helpful conditions in a couple of years time, I think we will see them pass back and forwards for a while. England have no pacey enough bowlers to trouble the Aussies down under and the swing in England is generally too much for the Aussie batsmen. We shall see.
Inquitus is offline  
Thanks from:
07-01-2018, 14:28   #364
StringerBell
Registered User
 
StringerBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterypunter View Post
Averages, averages, averages. 513-4 is the score
Not sure what your point Is? That was the second innings, England scored a generally decent total for this ground, the bowling attack letting them down, yet again.
StringerBell is offline  
07-01-2018, 17:18   #365
Mysterypunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,098
Visually 346 didn't look enough, tailenders hitting 20 or 30 doesn't win tests. 83 was the highest score, even though a lot of them got starts. Decent score OK, just not decent enough.
Mysterypunter is offline  
Advertisement
07-01-2018, 19:16   #366
StringerBell
Registered User
 
StringerBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterypunter View Post
Visually 346 didn't look enough, tailenders hitting 20 or 30 doesn't win tests. 83 was the highest score, even though a lot of them got starts. Decent score OK, just not decent enough.
Ah you meant you didn't think they scored enough runs, yeah of course. Agreed especially with how they have been bowling they needed a much bigger total on the board.

It was an above par score for the ground, that is a separate thing though.
StringerBell is offline  
08-01-2018, 00:10   #367
Mysterypunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Ah you meant you didn't think they scored enough runs, yeah of course. Agreed especially with how they have been bowling they needed a much bigger total on the board.

It was an above par score for the ground, that is a separate thing though.
Yep, think that the top order wasted starts, Root is ill, didn't resume, but may bat later, its now 109-4,80 overs left
Mysterypunter is offline  
08-01-2018, 01:35   #368
Mysterypunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,098
144-5 off 75. 61 overseas left
Mysterypunter is offline  
08-01-2018, 01:36   #369
Mysterypunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,098
Overseas overs Root 58* Bairstow 38*
Mysterypunter is offline  
Advertisement
08-01-2018, 02:29   #370
Mysterypunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,098
148-7 Bairstow 38, Broad 4, out. Root retired Ill nearly done
Mysterypunter is offline  
08-01-2018, 09:26   #371
Aegir
Registered User
 
Aegir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquitus View Post
Wouldn't surprise me at all if England regain the ashes in familiar, helpful conditions in a couple of years time, I think we will see them pass back and forwards for a while. England have no pacey enough bowlers to trouble the Aussies down under and the swing in England is generally too much for the Aussie batsmen. We shall see.
I was talking with an Indian colleague this morning, he said the same thing. Home advantage is massive when it comes to Tests at the moment.
Aegir is offline  
08-01-2018, 09:28   #372
StringerBell
Registered User
 
StringerBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8,156
Highest attendance figure over the series in the 1930's
StringerBell is offline  
08-01-2018, 09:51   #373
Mysterypunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,098
One sided for sure, but Australia are not good away from home, all out in 18 overs at Trent Bridge in the last series. 2019 will be interesting. Also, the Aussie first XI are strong, but the next level don't look to be
Mysterypunter is offline  
08-01-2018, 20:50   #374
StringerBell
Registered User
 
StringerBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8,156
At this stage are there any Test sides that are actually consistently successful away from home though?
StringerBell is offline  
08-01-2018, 22:42   #375
Royale with Cheese
Registered User
 
Royale with Cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,177
The England bowling attack will be far more effective at home alright. I don't think it'll make as much of a difference for their batting lineup and there still plenty of problems there.
Royale with Cheese is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet