Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ashes 17-18

• 21-11-2017 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭

I find it ridiculous that England are being dubbed "underdogs" for this series.

In this series England have:
    Their greatest ever opening Batsman (Cook)
    A guy that is showing all signs of being their greatest ever Batsman (Root)
    TBC: A guy that has matched Flintoff and Botham in stats as an all-rounder and may be deemed England's greatest ever all-rounder (Stokes)
    England's greatest ever Keeper batsman (Bairstow)
    England's greatest ever Bowler (Anderson) along with England's greatest ever opening bowling tandem with Broad.

Added to that, the deepest ever batting line-up in Test Cricket history with Ali and Woakes in the lineup

All of this playing against the worst Australian squad of my lifetime? If they don't win it will be a disaster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I find it ridiculous that England are being dubbed "underdogs" for this series.

In this series England have:
    Their greatest ever opening Batsman (Cook)
    A guy that is showing all signs of being their greatest ever Batsman (Root)
    TBC: A guy that has matched Flintoff and Botham in stats as an all-rounder and may be deemed England's greatest ever all-rounder (Stokes)
    England's greatest ever Keeper batsman (Bairstow)
    England's greatest ever Bowler (Anderson) along with England's greatest ever opening bowling tandem with Broad.

Added to that, the deepest ever batting line-up in Test Cricket history with Ali and Woakes in the lineup

All of this playing against the worst Australian squad of my lifetime? If they don't win it will be a disaster.

I don't know enough about the current Australian side to comment on their standing, but England have huge questions throughout the line up.

2, 3 and 5 have been problem positions for them for years at this stage, so it looks again like if Cook and Root don't score then England will be out cheaply.
    Who knows if Stokes will feature later in the series but he's a huge loss, and it remains to be seen how the English bowling will fare in Aussie conditions. They could do with a Mark Wood type.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Just realised that this is on BT Sport. Damn it. Should have copped that earlier given the lack of build up coverage on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Just realised that this is on BT Sport. Damn it. Should have copped that earlier given the lack of build up coverage on Sky.

Aye I despise BT Sports, in breaking up the monopoly Sky had on sports you now need to pay twice as much for the 2 options, or stream illegally. This is happening across the board now, Netflix has lost content, now you have Hulu, HBO etc. streaming channel, it just makes it worse for use the subscriber by forcing you to pay more to get the same or pay the same for less. It can't be sustainable long term though, as they not many people seem willing to for for the former option and pay twice as much to get the same content as they did before the market diversified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Is this the Ashes where the Ashes themselves become ashes ? A sporting irrelevance, lost in the niche accessibility of yet another pay TV channel that damn all people have access to ? The end game for one of the one time glories of the world of sport?
    Already an event that harked back to Age of Innocence of sport, Empire, gentlemen, tradition, skill, tactic, drama, it has been slowing dying since its move to Sky and ever darkening obscurity as the last few £ and its life were squeezed out of it. Now, having reach the critical point of public indifference and collapse to a black hole. There is a sense of a once mega movie star, being treated by the media as a mega movie star, yet the wider people asking 'who?'.
    It is a sad state of affairs. May have to root out my old VHS of 'Bodyline', or highlights of 2005 - the last last glorious kick from this former titan.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye I despise BT Sports, in breaking up the monopoly Sky had on sports you now need to pay twice as much for the 2 options, or stream illegally. This is happening across the board now, Netflix has lost content, now you have Hulu, HBO etc. streaming channel, it just makes it worse for use the subscriber by forcing you to pay more to get the same or pay the same for less. It can't be sustainable long term though, as they not many people seem willing to for for the former option and pay twice as much to get the same content as they did before the market diversified.

its free if you are with Eir

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Sadly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,425 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Why is this ? I'm right in thinking that Sky still have other England cricket and other test matches and ODIs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

3 minutes in and BT are already annoying me.

3 minutes in and BT are already annoying me.

BBC Five live are doing a build up from now until it starts(well they are actually covering the full first day) but if you're in Ireland it will block you.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Why is this ? I'm right in thinking that Sky still have other England cricket and other test matches and ODIs ?
    They have the rights to cover matches in England and Wales until 2024, but the BBC are getting some rights back from 2020

I haven't seen enough of Australia lately to really make an informed judgement, but it's obvious why nobody fancies England.

Far too many question marks in their batting lineup, no guarantee an ageing Anderson will fire in these conditions, Broad coming in off a relatively quiet season, their star all rounder still at home, and a generally poor record overall in Australia.

Stokes really is a big loss, would make a huge difference if he were there. If England are to do anything they will need some of the inexperienced players to come to the fore and probably for Australia to have a few bad games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'll listen to the opening overs on BBC Four LW. As for the Ashes, unless this turns out to be a particularly well contested and/or controversial series then it's unlikely to make much of an impression "at home" when there isn't even a proper FTA highlights package to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

who are the pundits on bt?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

Lads isn't there a way to get the BBC radio commentary online in Ireland? Have a nasty feeling we are geo-blocked?

who are the pundits on bt?

Michael Vaughan, Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist, Geoff Boycott, Graeme Swann, Damien Fleming.

Pundits are fine thus far, I can see Swann getting on my nerves a bit. The presenter used to do football on ITV I think, I found his delivery of the intro film fairly contrived and am not a big fan of his.

They're also bigging up the ashes as the pinnacle of a player's career at every chance they get. Like BBC do when they're showing an FA cup game.

Lads isn't there a way to get the BBC radio commentary online in Ireland? Have a nasty feeling we are geo-blocked?

We are on the official BBC radio app.

England won the toss and will bat first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The host nation sell the rights. BT have bought the rights to all Australian Cricket for 5 years and this includes the Ashes when played in Australia. The next Ashes series in England will be back on Sky.

Sky's Cricket coverage is really excellent so may be missed, but we will see what BT bring to the party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

come on Australia!

• Advertisement

We are on the official BBC radio app.

Caught with rights restrictions unfortunately.

Caught with rights restrictions unfortunately.

are you in Ireland? it's working on the BBC website for me

edit - not on the phone app.

The phone app will get you on rights restrictions on BBC five live BUT if you scroll across to any station that has "as on BBC five live" it's playing away fine. That's on the BBC radio app.
    Edit: the Asian network works fine.

Cook out for 2.

The phone app will get you on rights restrictions on BBC five live BUT if you scroll across to any station that has "as on BBC five live" it's playing away fine. That's on the BBC radio app.

for example?

Cook out!

Edit: the Asian network works fine.

Cook out for 2.

Superb. Thank you. Working perfectly.

for example?

Cook out!
    Asian network works

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Bad start for England and now two relative newbies at the crease. No pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

You can also get the coverage on long wave radio 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Decent English fightback to keep it to one wicket at lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Nice run out by Lyon. If the Aussies get another one or two before stumps it will have been a good day for them

Advertisement