Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
10-09-2017, 08:57   #31
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
Do you seriously think bussing people to a railway station to then get a train is going to get them out of their cars?

The more changes you add, the less appealing public transport becomes.

Add to that they would have to pay two fares, the fact that the trains are already jammed, and that the bus will take people directly to the south city centre.

You would also be lengthening the journey times for the people already using the bus who would be diverted to serve the rail station.

There's free parking at M3 Parkway as it is.
Do you seriously think that having no bus connections at all at M3 Parkway is a good thing?

I remember the integrated fares between the Kildare line and the 90 bus. Perhaps you don't? We might be forgiven for thinking that Bus Éireann and Irish Rail are wholly unconnected with each other in any way.
Banjoxed is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2017, 09:26   #32
LXFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoxed View Post
Do you seriously think that having no bus connections at all at M3 Parkway is a good thing?

I remember the integrated fares between the Kildare line and the 90 bus. Perhaps you don't? We might be forgiven for thinking that Bus reann and Irish Rail are wholly unconnected with each other in any way.
I don't think that re-routing Dublin-Navan express buses to serve the station is a good idea as you seem to. It would lengthen journey times for the majority. Add in waiting times at the station and the bus/rail option becomes uncompetitive compared with the direct coach.

The trains from M3 Parkway are already uncomfortably jammed as it is - where would all these additional passengers that you see using it fit? There won't be any additional rolling stock available for another 18 months at least.

There hasn't been any signs of further development of integrated Bus Eireann / Iarnrod reann ticketing from the NTA and until that happens, and there is a significant increase in rail capacity on the line, this idea is in my view is a non-starter.

Incidentally, they tried this with the 111 Trim service and no one used it - everyone stayed on the bus.

I'm sorry for sounding unduly negative, as I'm normally very pro-integration, but just think this through from a practical perspective.

Perhaps when the rail capacity issues are addressed then maybe a dedicated Navan - M3 shuttle bus could be tried, but again I wouldn't be diverting existing services and unnecessarily lengthening people's journeys.
LXFlyer is offline  
Thanks from:
10-09-2017, 10:17   #33
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
I don't think that re-routing Dublin-Navan express buses to serve the station is a good idea as you seem to. It would lengthen journey times for the majority. Add in waiting times at the station and the bus/rail option becomes uncompetitive compared with the direct coach.

The trains from M3 Parkway are already uncomfortably jammed as it is - where would all these additional passengers that you see using it fit? There won't be any additional rolling stock available for another 18 months at least.

There hasn't been any signs of further development of integrated Bus Eireann / Iarnrod reann ticketing from the NTA and until that happens, and there is a significant increase in rail capacity on the line, this idea is in my view is a non-starter.

Incidentally, they tried this with the 111 Trim service and no one used it - everyone stayed on the bus.

I'm sorry for sounding unduly negative, as I'm normally very pro-integration, but just think this through from a practical perspective.

Perhaps when the rail capacity issues are addressed then maybe a dedicated Navan - M3 shuttle bus could be tried, but again I wouldn't be diverting existing services and unnecessarily lengthening people's journeys.
I dont disagree with you. I'm not advocating that the NX be rerouted - just to have any/some connection between Navan and M3 Parkway. After all, the pre opening PR did say that would be the case, to counteract valid criticism of the toll before the station junction off the M3
Banjoxed is offline  
Thanks from:
10-09-2017, 11:39   #34
LXFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoxed View Post
I dont disagree with you. I'm not advocating that the NX be rerouted - just to have any/some connection between Navan and M3 Parkway. After all, the pre opening PR did say that would be the case, to counteract valid criticism of the toll before the station junction off the M3
Until rail capacity issues are resolved I cannot see that happening.
LXFlyer is offline  
10-09-2017, 12:29   #35
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
Until rail capacity issues are resolved I cannot see that happening.
It can take traffic off the M3.
Banjoxed is offline  
Advertisement
10-09-2017, 12:43   #36
AlekSmart
Registered User
 
AlekSmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoxed View Post
It can take traffic off the M3.
MMmmmmm....I seem to remember some very successful Golf Classics around about the Royal County over the years.....the local TD (and Minister) was apparently,quite handy with the swing too....

Some of the larger SIMI Motor Dealers were reputed to take up offers of partaking in the charitable events too.........

Less CAR Traffic on the M3........."Excellent idea Minister....However....etc etc etc.........perhaps not "
AlekSmart is offline  
Thanks from:
10-09-2017, 12:46   #37
LXFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoxed View Post
It can take traffic off the M3.
I don't think you understand.

The peak hour trains are crammed on the Maynooth/M3 Parkway line already. There isn't room for adding bus loads of people from Navan onto them. They might get on at M3 Parkway in the mornings, but then other people at intermediate stations would not, and it would be impossible in the evenings.

There is a bigger picture here - quite simply the railway line could not cope with those extra peak time passengers. Until the 2700 DMU stock returns, at least 18 months away, that will remain the case.

As for taking traffic off the M3, it is hardly jammed with cars is it? I imagine more people would be open to using the station as a P & R facility rather than taking a bus to it.

All these ideas are great in theory, but practically they aren't realistic given the current financial and capacity constraints.

Last edited by LXFlyer; 10-09-2017 at 12:50.
LXFlyer is offline  
10-09-2017, 15:14   #38
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekSmart View Post
MMmmmmm....I seem to remember some very successful Golf Classics around about the Royal County over the years.....the local TD (and Minister) was apparently,quite handy with the swing too....

Some of the larger SIMI Motor Dealers were reputed to take up offers of partaking in the charitable events too.........

Less CAR Traffic on the M3........."Excellent idea Minister....However....etc etc etc.........perhaps not "
Yup, got it in one there Alek.
Banjoxed is offline  
11-09-2017, 05:02   #39
horseburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewed View Post
Quick question. My son travels from Navan to Cavan every Sunday evening. Now he'll have to get a bus to Kells and then get another bus to Cavan. Can he get 1 ticket that will do him for both trips?
There will still be connections between Navan and Cavan on the Dublin Cavan 109X service that will begin on 17th September.

It will be possible to get the 109X bus, in Navan to Cavan on Sundays, as well as Monday to Saturday. On Sundays the 109X from Dublin to Cavan, is scheduled to pick up and drop off at The Mercy Convent in Navan at 10.12am, 12.19am, 2.19pm, 4.19pm, 8.12pm and 10.12pm.

The 109X bus from Cavan to Dublin, on Sundays, will pick up and drop off at the bus stop opposite Navan Fire Station at 10.05am, 12.01pm, 2.01pm, 4.01pm, 6.01pm, 8.01pm and 10.05pm.

From Monday to Friday, the 109X service from Cavan to Dublin will pick up and drop off at the bus stop opposite the Fire Station at 6.03am, 10.01am, 12.01pm, 2.01pm, 4.01pm, 6.01pm, 8.01pm, and 10.00pm.

From Monday to Friday you will be able to get the 109X bus from Navan to Cavan at The Mercy Convent, where it will pick up and drop off at 8.19am, 10.19am, 12.19pm, 2.19pm, 4.19pm, 8.19pm and 10.12pm.

On Saturdays you will be able to get a bus from Navan to Cavan at the Mercy Convent, where it will pick up and drop off at 8.12am, 10.12am, 12.19pm, 2.19pm, 4.19pm, 8.12pm and 10.12pm

On Saturdays the bus from Cavan to Dublin will pick up and drop off at the bus stop opposite the Fire Station at 10.05am, 12.01pm, 2.01pm, 4.01pm, 6.01pm, 8.01pm and 10.05pm.

http://buseireann.ie/timetables/1504435671-109X.pdf

Last edited by horseburger; 11-09-2017 at 15:25.
horseburger is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-09-2017, 07:17   #40
tom23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
Well I'd imagine this is a conscious effort to encourage more people out of their cars and onto the bus service by the NTA.
To be honest this is futile on behalf of the NTA. Public transport in Meath is not anywhere near that position to make people leave their car in favour of a service that at times is not reliable. Maybe for private operators they would take the option. Having used all options over the years I'd use my car first followed by a private operator.
tom23 is offline  
12-09-2017, 08:40   #41
LXFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom23 View Post
To be honest this is futile on behalf of the NTA. Public transport in Meath is not anywhere near that position to make people leave their car in favour of a service that at times is not reliable. Maybe for private operators they would take the option. Having used all options over the years I'd use my car first followed by a private operator.
One would imagine that they are hoping this will be more reliable?

Not much point investing in new buses and drivers, and putting extra money in for a big expansion in services otherwise.
LXFlyer is offline  
12-09-2017, 16:42   #42
horseburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom23 View Post
To be honest this is futile on behalf of the NTA. Public transport in Meath is not anywhere near that position to make people leave their car in favour of a service that at times is not reliable. Maybe for private operators they would take the option. Having used all options over the years I'd use my car first followed by a private operator.
The advantage that the Bus Éireann services between Navan and Dublin have over Sillan Tours, the private operator that currently serves Navan to and from Dublin, is that with Bus Éireann, if you are required to be in Dublin later than 7.15pm, you can get back to Navan by bus, and there are more options for getting to and from Navan (and Kells and Cavan) and Dublin, throughout the day, with Bus Éireann, compared to the Sillan Tours timetable.

Bus Éireann also currently runs more services on Saturdays and Sundays, to and from Navan and Dublin, compared to the Sillan Tours service.
horseburger is offline  
18-09-2017, 10:57   #43
tom23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 257
Have any commuters feedback on the new changes?
tom23 is offline  
18-09-2017, 11:37   #44
gazzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,794
I got the 109X at 2.15 from Busarus yesterday. Was a bit confusing because the big display on the wall showed the bus leaving at 2.30. Anyway the bus left a 2.30. However it took the usual route up the Navan Road. Maybe it was because of the crowds on Dorset St? It was great bot having to go through Navan. Took 90 minutes to get to Virginia. 20 minutes quicker than other Sundays that I have got the 109
gazzer is offline  
Thanks from:
18-09-2017, 11:46   #45
LXFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13,934
Seems to be a lot of issues today - buses cancelled on various routes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the drivers were up to some skulduggery being honest - some form of "blue flu"....
LXFlyer is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet