Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cico Buff by the Cocteau Twins

• 17-02-2017 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭

How old is boards?

15? 20 years now?

And not one single mention of the single greatest song by any rock band, ever ever ever ever....

(IMHO)

Cico Buff by the Cocteau Twins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Four Calendar Café for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ha.

I feel like contradicting myself already after listening to Carolyn's Fingers ...

No, I'll stick with Cico Buff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It HAS to be -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

A Kissed Out Red Floatboat is better than Cico Buff. This has been proven by sciency people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭mosstin

'Carolyn's Fingers' is the sound of joy. This song makes me smile no matter what. It's probably the one song I've listened to more than any other and I still have no idea what it is she's singing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

As some poster commented on youtube - "Some music gets old very quickly but this song took a long time to sound new".

mosstin wrote: »
    'Carolyn's Fingers' is the sound of joy. This song makes me smile no matter what. It's probably the one song I've listened to more than any other and I still have no idea what it is she's singing.

Sound of joy. I like that, that captures it perfectly, that's what it is.

Would love to see her perform live.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

so what's a good starting point for these guys albumwise?

I would say Bluebell Knoll....

Heaven or Las Vegas was their biggest album hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

sweetie wrote: »

Treasure or The Pink Opaque are the best starting points imo.

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »

Starting point either Heaven Or Las Vegas and Blue Bell Knoll to give you an idea of the sound and then you can delve deeper with Treasure, Four Calendar Cafe etc. Their sound mellowed throughout their career so the early stuff is less accessible but just as rewarding on repeated listens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I know this is an old thread but I'm ecstatic about Liz Fraser singing with Massive Attack next Sunday in the 3Arena. Never thought I'd get to hear her live. Anyway, love this:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Her voice is incredible, that will be a great gig. Great song from Treasure which doesn't get mentioned much

This song hasn't been aired in the thread yet but if we want to appreciate her voice, this is perfect.
    I'm going to the gig with Massive Attack just to say that I was once in the same room as Liz Fraser, albeit a rather large room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I was supposed to go to get RFH gig on London in 2012 but for some reason that I can't remember I had to give he tickets away the day off the gig.

Would like to see this MA show but am skipping it. Will probably regret at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Her voice is incredible, that will be a great gig. Great song from Treasure which doesn't get mentioned much

Favourite Cocteau Twins song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I'd recommend a newbie starts at the end - Milk And Kisses - or else Heaven Or Las Vegas.
    Blue Bell Knoll is my least favourite Cocteau Twins album by a considerable distance - despite the presence of Carolyn's Fingers.

Avoid the remastered CDs - they're the worst I have ever heard by anybody.
    The original CDs are your best bet with the exception of Head Over Heels and Treasure which sound better on vinyl.

The Singles Collection is amazing. Remember getting it for Christmas '91.

Just at the Massive Attack gig. Liz Frazier......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

tigerboon wrote: »
    Just at the Massive Attack gig. Liz Frazier......

Who's she?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I'd recommend a newbie starts at the end - Milk And Kisses - or else Heaven Or Las Vegas.
    Milk and Kisses is probably their weakest album. For a newbie Heaven or Las Vegas is the definitely best place to start, then Treasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

big Carolyns fingers fan, goosebumps every single time
    and often evokes a bit of a weep (especially if i'm a bit drunk!)

i love the jools from 94, with summerhead and carolyns
    both exceptional versions, liz on top form, very playful
    summerhead being about a million times better than the studio version

cheers

Birneybau wrote: »
    Who's she?

Must apologize for the wrong spelling. Obviously not as smart as yourself.

Advertisement