Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-01-2017, 17:59   #1
KungFuhrer

Pedestrians Association

I'm wondering if there's any organization/lobby group fighting for the interests and security of pedestrians, either in Dublin or at national level.
I couldn't really find any, but it seems much needed, especially with traffic levels rising and every other commuter group trying to get the most out of public roads.
I've only been living in Dublin for 4 years, but it's very apparent the lack of pedestrian crossings and footpath room, alongside with the very poor education of pedestrians themselves (it's insane how people cross the road in this city!).
So I guess I'm proposing that people should come together to discuss and implement these things:
- more education about ROR and pedestrians right of way
- more pedestrian crossings, better traffic light timing
- improved accessibility (wide footpaths to accommodate wheelchair users, tactile floor markings, decluttering streets, ramps)
- more enforcement/awareness to stop cars invading pedestrian space, i.e., parking or even driving over footpaths

The last days have been marked by tragedies, and I thoroughly believe at least some of them could have been avoided.
Walking is the most basic and universal way we have to travel, however it's also when we're more vulnerable as road users and when our rights to seem to be more blurred in the eyes of everyone - from pedestrians who don't use caution, to cyclists who ignore crossings and motorists who beep and harass people passing in front of parking entrances). I don't mean to antagonize any other group of road users, in fact it would even make sense if we could work alongside cycling organizations and find a happy, safe medium.

We can complain to TDs, to the DCC, whoever, one letter at a time, but there's strenght in numbers and that's when people really pay attention. Priorities need to be set right: owning a bike or a car can't trump the universal right people have of using their own two legs(or other means that make them self-sufficient).

There are many examples of such organizations, these are a few:
https://www.livingstreets.org.uk/
http://www.walk21.com/
http://www.pedestrians-int.org/en/
http://www.pedestrians-europe.org/co...al_charter.pdf
Advertisement
18-01-2017, 18:11   #2
coylemj

The Govt. doesn't listen to motorists who contribute hundreds of millions of tax revenue every year in car tax, VRT, excise and VAT on fuel, why would they listen to a pedestrian lobby?

If the Healy-Raes had their way, there would be a separate (higher) limit for drink driving in rural areas to allow people to have a few pints and drive home which would provide a serious hazard to pedestrians on poorly lit roads.

The only people who have the ear of the Govt. are the people who lobby on behalf of the motor 'industry', virtually everything they ask for, they get.

You import a perfectly good secondhand car from Japan, one of the most advanced countries in the world. What's the first thing you have to do? Throw away the perfectly good tyres it came with because they don't have the 'E' mark. Change the registration system to have two changes each year - why the hell not? Benefit to the consumer - none.
(3) thanks from:
18-01-2017, 18:23   #3
KungFuhrer

Because people die or get maimed.

Because we're ostracizing people who are older, who have special needs, who live in rural areas.

I'm not so naive to think that money isn't the great motivator, but surely there must be a drop of human decency left, no?
We're not "consumers". The government shouldn't regard citizens as such, it's a problematic view. We're people first and foremost. Resignation surely won't change anything.
18-01-2017, 18:57   #4
Grandeeod

Quote:
Originally Posted by coylemj View Post
The Govt. doesn't listen to motorists who contribute hundreds of millions of tax revenue every year in car tax, VRT, excise and VAT on fuel, why would they listen to a pedestrian lobby?
Because motorists don't have a lobby. If they had, then the Government might listen. Its unfair to blast an idea by mentioning a non existant comparison.

Genuinely though, the country needs a public lobby based on all aspects of travel/public transport, but from experience and these very forums, it will never happen due to egos within each individual sector. Just imagine a motoring lobby sitting down with the cycling lobby? I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting. You might get some workability between a bus lobby and a rail lobby. Then throw a pedestrian lobby into the mix. Civil War mark 2.
(2) thanks from:
18-01-2017, 20:15   #5
Corca Baiscinn

OP the only pedestrian lobby group I am aware of is Cosáin in Galway. I can only find them on Twitter so you could probably contact via a twitter message. They work in tandem with the Galway Cycling Campaign. Grandeeod, I think the AA could be described as a lobby for motorists, dont you? coylemi, the motorists who contribute these hundreds of millions must surely sometimes be pedestrians too since the number of drive-in shops, workplaces, restaurants, offices and cinemas is limited!
Advertisement
18-01-2017, 20:24   #6
Grandeeod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corca Baiscinn View Post
Grandeeod, I think the AA could be described as a lobby for motorists, dont you?
Absolutely not. You pay them money to rescue you from a breakdown. They sell insurance policies ranging from car, home, travel to life, which negates them from seriously commenting on the outrageous cost of insurance. They roll out Conor Faughnan as if he's motorists friend to comment on motoring issues. He's about as useful as a fart in a breeze. I especially love it when he is rolled out to comment on public transport issues. He's nothing but a wannabe celebrity for an organisation that milks money from its own legacy existance.
(3) thanks from:
18-01-2017, 20:30   #7
Corca Baiscinn

I'm sure you're right but he defends high speed limits in urban areas, keeping cars on the quays etc and when himself and Pat Kenny get on their joint high horses.......AA seems to have ear of Government and RSA and is well got with RTE
18-01-2017, 20:58   #8
Grandeeod

Quote:
AA seems to have ear of Government and RSA and is well got with RTE
But thats the problem. They are all alike and in it for what they can get out of it, be it money, popularity or profile. The AA no more represent the average motorist than Trump represents Mexicans.
(3) thanks from:
18-01-2017, 23:17   #9
R.D. aka MR.D

I would love to see a pedestrian's association. Even if all it was achieved was to raise awareness amongst people to improve safety.

One thing the association could focus on would be trying to encourage the gards to be more pro-active in dealing with people who are a danger to pedestrians. My OH is an avid cyclist and is from the US. He quite aggressively shouts at people cycling on the pavements here and every single time comments to me about how if you did that in his State, you'd get a ticket so quickly! Additionally there needs to be something done about pedestrians walking out in front of bikes.

Even just the awareness that we should all be working together to respect each other would be worthwhile. Working with other interest groups eg cyclist groups wouldn't be that useful because it's not usually avid cyclists who are the ones cycling on the pavement, it's the casual cyclist. So a wider safety campaign could be worked on.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-01-2017, 23:21   #10
KungFuhrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. aka MR.D View Post
Even just the awareness that we should all be working together to respect each other would be worthwhile. Working with other interest groups eg cyclist groups wouldn't be that useful because it's not usually avid cyclists who are the ones cycling on the pavement, it's the casual cyclist. So a wider safety campaign could be worked on.
That's the dream
Thanks for letting me know I'm not out of my mind or simply alone in thinking this.
Thanks from:
19-01-2017, 09:31   #11
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
OP the only pedestrian lobby group I am aware of is Cosáin in Galway. I can only find them on Twitter so you could probably contact via a twitter message. They work in tandem with the Galway Cycling Campaign.
Working in tandem with a cycling organisation is a problem: cyclists are a group of road users who present particular challenges to pedestrians.
19-01-2017, 10:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by coylemj View Post
They're not mutually exclusive, all motorists, cyclists, runners are pedestrians.

Quote:
I'm sure you're right but he defends high speed limits in urban areas, keeping cars on the quays etc and when himself and Pat Kenny get on their joint high horses.......AA seems to have ear of Government and RSA and is well got with RTE
Pat Kenny is on Newstalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble View Post
Working in tandem with a cycling organisation is a problem: cyclists are a group of road users who present particular challenges to pedestrians.
Some do, they're not a homogeneous group. And some people walking can cause problems to road users.
(3) thanks from:
20-01-2017, 12:20   #13
Hexen

This is a great idea.

Of course, policy formation in Ireland, in regard to transport, urban planning, and much else, is very poor (based on short-term goals with little research basis). It really can't be assumed that state or local authorities have the requisite expertise to evaluate and implement beneficial policy changes. Coupled with this, civic society in Ireland is pretty weak. For a variety of reasons, the ability of civic groups to influence policy, unless very well-networked, is not great.

However, a pressure or campaign group centred on the pedestrian, with walking figured as a form of 'active transport' and a strong emphasis on the urban infrastructural changes necessary to create 'liveable cities' would complement some strands of current policy (rhetorical and otherwise). Despite real conflicts between cyclists and pedestrians, alliance with commuter cycle groups would make sense as, notwithstanding questions of civility, most such conflicts are the product of infrastructural deficits rather 'moral failings'. The overarching goal in such an alliance would not be primarily about the promotion of cycling in and of itself but the recognition that good pedestrian and cycling infrastructure delivers a pleasanter and more enjoyable urban environment, centred on people rather than traffic, with a range of health, social and economic benefits.

I'd centre such a campaign around a generalised and pretty holistic vision of what the urban environment and experience could and should be.
(2) thanks from:
20-01-2017, 12:29   #14
Hexen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble View Post
Notwithstanding a lot of pretty poor behaviour, most such problems are infrastructural rather than due to the assumed moral qualities of any particular group. There's no doubt that, in terms of desired infrastructural changes, cyclists, pedestrians and users of wheelchairs and mobility scooters share a lot of common interests. They also have a shared interest in the delivery of good public transport.

Making urban environments interesting, safe and pleasant to walk is key, I think. That also entails ready access to reliable and efficient public transport systems.

Last edited by Hexen; 20-01-2017 at 13:17.
(4) thanks from:
20-01-2017, 15:06   #15
AngryLips

Where do I sign up?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size