Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sourcing pullets that lay colourful eggs?

• 05-08-2019 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of where I could source pullets or sexed chicks that would lay colourful eggs.
    I am really interested in having a selection of different hens that lay different colour eggs. I know a lot of these are available as fertilised eggs but I have never incubated eggs and don’t have the equipment or a broody hen. That and I don’t want any cockerels. I would be open to other breeds if anyone has any other suggestions? But was particularly interested in the following: Green Egger hybrid of some kind, Cream Legbar, Mottled Java, Buff Orpingtons, Golden Spangled Appenzeller

I’m based in wicklow but am prepared to travel if needed.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They are all the same colour when broken open!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PrideandLuna

They are all the same colour when broken open!!

😂 true but they look awesome and fun for the kids breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It is easy to colour eggs when boiling them by adding a little food colouring. The same type of colouring used on icing for cakes etc. My mother used to fo that for Easter when we were children. You can also use use things like onion skins or turmeric root to give a yellow colour, a couple of crushed blackcurrants for purple etc. It doesn't change the taste of the egg etc if you wish to use something natural ...

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Try the poultry sales in Ballykeenan, Myshall, Co Carlow on the last Sunday morning of every month. Lots of breeders and sellers there.

Its in the former pet farm grounds, Google maps will take you there

The only green-egger I ever had was an Araucana cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

My son has some cream legbar chicks. PM me if you are interested....

• Advertisement
Advertisement