Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-07-2019, 13:53   #31
rireland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewme View Post
I feel worse for you OP, this recycled rinse and repeat crap pops up regularly like a bad TV repeat.

Have you nothing better to be doing with your time than trying to push this bull**** Agenda.

Maybe take up a hobby or do something positive like Volunteering.
Woah. What do you mean?
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 13:55   #32
worded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashes34 View Post
Christ I hate this attitude - life has a purpose without procreating. How patronising to say otherwise. Maybe your life has nothing in it before kids, thankfully its not that way for others.

A lot of people dedicate their lives to themselves and that is perfectly fine. They want to travel, see the world, have money to have a comfortable standard of living and that is ok.

Each to their own but the patronising crap from some parents needs to stop. Wrecks my head.

Chill out there it’s just my own opinion.

I don’t speak for others

I have got great joy from being a parent and couldn’t imagine it any other way.

Me thinks thou doth protest too much

You are now on my list of enemies :-)
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 13:56   #33
Thelonious Monk

I find it mad that so many people end up having kids tbh. I mean isn't it just easier not to have them? I think lots of people have them because they're in a relationship and that's what they're supposed to do. Doubt I'll be having any but my brother just had one at 43 (an accident) so at least that keeps my mother happy and gets me off the hook.
I also think if you need kids to be happy you're not very interesting and don't know how to enjoy life properly.
11-07-2019, 14:02   #34
Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo's Avatar

One thing I particularly noticed about census data from the past is the number of people who didn't have kids. It seemed to either be married with 7 kids or not married at all.

I think a lot more people have kids nowadays, just not as many.

You don't need to have children to feel fulfilled in life. But there is the big biological clock in the room that nobody is allowed talk about.
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 14:02   #35
Cina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
I find it mad that so many people end up having kids tbh. I mean isn't it just easier not to have them? I think lots of people have them because they're in a relationship and that's what they're supposed to do. Doubt I'll be having any but my brother just had one at 43 (an accident) so at least that keeps my mother happy and gets me off the hook.
I also think if you need kids to be happy you're not very interesting and don't know how to enjoy life properly.
Nonsense.

People want kids because they like kids and want their own kids, just like people want pets because they love dogs/cats and want them. People also don't want kids for plenty of reasons (I'm sort of torn, myself) and that's fine too.

Why does one side or the other have to be better? It seems people without kids can't accept that having kids can be a really good thing, and likewise people with kids seem to often look down on those without them. There's no wrong decision, either way.

Let people do whatever the f*ck they want and stop making sweeping generalizations, basically.
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 14:04   #36
Thelonious Monk

I just think lots of people have them because they don't know what else to do. We all have an existential crisis at some stage.
11-07-2019, 14:06   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo View Post
One thing I particularly noticed about census data from the past is the number of people who didn't have kids. It seemed to either be married with 7 kids or not married at all.

I think a lot more people have kids nowadays, just not as many.

You don't need to have children to feel fulfilled in life. But there is the big biological clock in the room that nobody is allowed talk about.
Nobody is allowed to talk about it? News to me.
11-07-2019, 14:11   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assetbacked View Post
Women who want kids, unfortunately for them, need to make serious plans about getting on with it as they hit 30, especially if they are single.

This modern image of a woman being a high flying corporate type doesn't tend to tag along the caveat that, should she want kids, she can't wait for forever.
Waheeeeey, you got it in there.

Hardly just 30. Loads of women are having healthy babies in their 30s now - and you know this.

There's always at least one person who thinks women are idiots, and that they don't know their fertile years have a limit.
11-07-2019, 14:13   #39
TuringBot47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persepoly View Post
I have no children and my life is full of purpose. I'm very lucky
Reality TV doesn't count as a purpose.
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 14:16   #40
Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme A Pound View Post
Nobody is allowed to talk about it? News to me.
The massive biological differences between men and women of child bearing years.

I don't see it talked about nearly enough.
11-07-2019, 14:19   #41
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuringBot47 View Post
Reality TV doesn't count as a purpose.
Well neither does raising a kid. Nothing really counts as a purpose. Existence is pointless really and then you vanish forever.
11-07-2019, 14:23   #42
TuringBot47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
Well neither does raising a kid. Nothing really counts as a purpose. Existence is pointless really and then you vanish forever.
We are programmed to procreate to keep our successful variation of genes going to the next generation.
(2) thanks from:
11-07-2019, 14:25   #43
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuringBot47 View Post
We are programmed to procreate to keep our successful variation of genes going to the next generation.
Well it's bad programming if you ask me because there are far too many of us. Plus the programming didn't work for all of us I've no desire to be anywhere near any children!
11-07-2019, 14:27   #44
SusieBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assetbacked View Post
Women who want kids, unfortunately for them, need to make serious plans about getting on with it as they hit 30, especially if they are single.

This modern image of a woman being a high flying corporate type doesn't tend to tag along the caveat that, should she want kids, she can't wait for forever.
I always find this image of the high flying corporate career woman to be amusing because I genuinely have never come across anyone IRL who fits that description.

I certainly know some women who are career orientated, but I don't know any would would put off meeting someone or sacrifice having any kind of romantic relationship for over a decade (12 years, if you count ages 18-30) to focus on that career.

Most people who find themselves single at that age are in that position because the relationship(s) they were in throughout their 20's didn't work out, not because they spent the previous 12 years being a cut throat corporate career woman living out of a briefcase.
11-07-2019, 14:29   #45
Purple Mountain

How can you find another half when you're already a perfect whole?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion