Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mice in garden

• 22-05-2019 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

I saw a field mouse in my garden today.

I found one there a few months ago too. I trapped that one in a lift up box which I partly flooded then killed it with a sledge hammer. I still feel bad about that.

They transmit disease so I need to get rid though.

I have a dog and a toddler so I need a method that is safe for both of these. We also have lots of birds and chicks so again, don't want to kill them. (Guessing split bird seed might be part of the draw for the mice tbh.)

Humane traps strike me as the safest. If I catch some and release it in a wood or forest or something that will be ok I guess. No need to kill them, right? No flaw in this idea is there?

Plan b would be to catch them in the humane traps then drown them. That seems cruel but the humane traps seem the safest.

Is this plan good? Any problems with it or better ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I found one there a few months ago too. I trapped that one in a lift up box which I partly flooded then killed it with a sledge hammer. I still feel bad about that.

I have a dog and a toddler so I need a method that is safe for both of these. We also have lots of birds and chicks so again, don't want to kill them. (Guessing split bird seed might be part of the draw for the mice tbh.)

Humane traps strike me as the safest. If I catch some and release it in a wood or forest or something that will be ok I guess. No need to kill them, right? No flaw in this idea is there?

Plan b would be to catch them I the humane traps then drown them. That seems cruel but the humane traps seem the safest.

What about a cat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    What about a cat!
    Expelled feral cats. They had a den beside where the mice were. My dog would kill a cat, or now she's older maybe be hurt by one. I don't consider cats safe or hygienic around babies.

We have foxes that presumably prey on them.

Been researching online. One source says if you release anywhere nearby they'll just return to your property. Another says releasing them far away is effectively a cruel way of killing them because they don't survive in foreign territory.

We've been feeding birds in abundance. I dont want to stop that as they come to our window with semi grown chicks now to feed, and removing a food source might cause them issues. Probably worth sweeping any spillage though.

We've loads of fruit in our garden but at least that's away from the house. We compost but use tumblers so again that is out of their reach and well away from the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

It's just a mouse. Don't worry unless it's in your house. Who knows what prowls in your garden at night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

It's just a mouse. Don't worry unless it's in your house. Who knows what prowls in your garden at night

Exactly. Going way over the top trapping them. Let them be.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The chicks will eat the mice when they're a bit older.

If you're overly worried about diseases, don't keep animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Plan b would be to catch them in the humane traps then drown them. That seems cruel but the humane traps seem the safest.

Reference bird seed I had to get rid of the feeder mice were drawn to it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Leave them be. They will do you no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Catch it and release it, don't kill it with a bleeding sledge hammer or drown it. Why don't we just wipe out all wildlife in case they disturb our precious children or upset our pet chicks... Jesus !!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

A good idea would be just to leave them alone, there is plenty of wildlife going on around us and you don’t need to go around like donkey kong and splatting everything in your garden.

quote="Otis Uneven Flute;110251848"]I saw a field mouse in my garden today.

Is this plan good? Any problems with it or better ideas?[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Catch it and release it, don't kill it with a bleeding sledge hammer or drown it. Why don't we just wipe out all wildlife in case they disturb our precious children or upset our pet chicks... Jesus !!
    1. The concern is about making my kid very sick, not disturbing him. He loves animals. Their pee and poop make people v sick... The concern with method is to avoid poisoning chicks or my dog or my kid, or getting them stuck in q snap trap etc.

2. Catch and release only works if you monitor the traps hourly. Otherwise they can die of stress anyway. It also only works if you release them into familiar territory. They don't handle being dropped into unfamiliar territory. So if you can check a trap hourly and drop a mouse in your house into your garden for example, great. Otherwise it is effectively a cruel way of killing them.

3. Never suggested killing it with a sledgehammer.

4. Already decided to just remove any food on the ground near the house and leave them be if they don't come in it, as per a couple of suggestions.

Just a sh!tty post with a stupid suggestion from someone with no interest in anything else but being up on their high horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Either leave them be or go with traditional mouse traps. I don't why you would bother with humane traps only to kill them later anyway by drowning. Traditional mouse traps are at least a quick death. That said in your garden with birds feed available I doubt you will ever fully get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

I wouldnt be concerned with field mice outside. Mice and rats live all around us and Id say there is one in every garden.

I'd only be concerned if you hear them inside your house.

They are naturally scared of humans and will likely not come inside the house- especially if its a field mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Just a sh!tty post with a stupid suggestion from someone with no interest in anything else but being up on their high horse.

A perfectly reasonable post. Sledgehammering a mouse in the outdoors is wildly OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I reallt doubt you’ll ever manage to eradicate mice from your garden. They’re everywhere, but generally nobody notices them because they’re nocturnal. Let your child enjoy playing in the garden, teach him not to eat random things he finds, and how to wash his hands well when he comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

1. The concern is about making my kid very sick, not disturbing him. He loves animals. Their pee and poop make people v sick... The concern with method is to avoid poisoning chicks or my dog or my kid, or getting them stuck in q snap trap etc.

In fairness I think your kid being in a crèche/preschool/school type setting is far more likely to make your kid sick than possibly coming into contact with a field mouse in your back garden. If your kid likes playing with animal poo than you should probably make sure to teach him not to play with as a general life lesson. And a field mouse won't make your dog sick.

I think you need to take a deep breath and relax. Leave the poor field mouse be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

2. Catch and release only works if you monitor the traps hourly. Otherwise they can die of stress anyway. It also only works if you release them into familiar territory. They don't handle being dropped into unfamiliar territory. So if you can check a trap hourly and drop a mouse in your house into your garden for example, great. Otherwise it is effectively a cruel way of killing them.

3. Never suggested killing it with a sledgehammer.

4. Already decided to just remove any food on the ground near the house and leave them be if they don't come in it, as per a couple of suggestions.

I’m not sure if you’re serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

always told you have either mice or rats, which would you prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

(Guessing split bird seed might be part of the draw for the mice tbh.)

Bingo!!!!

Doesn't matter how many you kill,there will always be more attracted.
    Permanent solution is to fix the source of the problem.

Be thankful you haven't attracted Rats (Yet)

We ended up with a Rat problem from a Bird feeder.
    We tried everything: Poison, Kill Traps, Humane traps etc.
    The 2 that were the best were:
    This: Good Nature A24 Rat Trap
    https://goodnature.co.nz/products/a24-rat-stoat
    Pros: Kills the rat, drops it out the bottom for a scavenger like Fox and then resets itself.
    The reset it the big thing, you just leave this thing alone for a few weeks and check the counter to see how many it killed.
    Cons: Expensive

The other option for mice is the walk the plank trap (Which I also tried and is very effective) you can make this yourself.
    Pros: You can make it your self, effective and cheap
    Cons: You have to empty the thing out and reset daily

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Field mice are everywhere, they’re part of the background wildlife, and I think you’re setting yourself a futile task by trying to get rid of them.

As a previous poster said, it’s more likely that your child will get sick through crèche/school than through contact with field mice. Not all of them carry disease too. They’re no worse than the neighbourhood cats passing through your garden. I feel you’re being a bit over protective here.

I have to be brutally honest here, I would consider drowning or squashing a field mouse to be cruel and inhumane. You need to think if your actions are proportionate to the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

OP , do you allow your child direct contact with the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This thread has made me sad and a little confused.

Cats are unhygienic and unsafe around babies? But the dog is ok??? (by the way, I have issues with neither)

Killing a mouse for existing in it's own habitat :confused:

Kids spread disease too, might want to get a dettol wipe for the auld sledgy!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mod Note

I'm locking this thread as it appears to me to be animal cruelty. I'm not an animal lover myself, but even I know that killing one with a sledge hammer is not a humane way to end a mice's life, never mind post about it on an open forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement