Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Father on Marriage Certs

Options
  • 04-06-2014 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I have a marriage cert which has the fathers of the bride and groom named and their professions as normal. However, information I received recently proves that the father of the groom was already dead 18 years before the son got married. In that case should the father have been entered as deceased?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

On most of my certs the father has been entered whether dead or alive. Occasionally deceased may be written in brackets after his name where applicable. One record I acquired recently had the mothers name in instead so I am inclined to assume that that father is dead.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

It's not consistent - father's status may not be mentioned, it's not part of the details requested, so unless it specifically states deceased, the marriage cert will not confirm his status.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I like it when they put the father's occupation as "deceased". :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

dont know how common or accurate this is, but it seems to me that if the father's occupation is omitted it's more likely he's deceased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yes Shane, that's what made me think twice about this. It does state his occupation as labourer, and I thought if he was dead it might not have included his occupation or they might have entered 'deceased' in that column. Anyway unfortunately I do have proof of his death, I would have liked him to have been alive. The family all died out quickly which is sad as they didn't have a chance to have the 8, 10, or 12 children their cousins had. Damn T.B!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rye_212

Apologies for tangental question, but I have decided to request an 1875 marriage cert because the parents of the groom were ancestors of mine. On the birthsmarriagesdeaths.ie site, the cost for a single cert is €40. Seems steep. Anyone aware of any alternative less expensive way to get the info.

research certs, aka photocopies, from the GRO cost €4 once you provide the index references. Download the order forms from here (GRO / Dept. Welfare), print it out and fill in the details and post or fax to the GRO head office. Delivery of the certs is by post or email.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rye1967 wrote: »
    Apologies for tangental question, but I have decided to request an 1875 marriage cert because the parents of the groom were ancestors of mine. On the birthsmarriagesdeaths.ie site, the cost for a single cert is €40. Seems steep. Anyone aware of any alternative less expensive way to get the info.

That site is a con to part people from their money. Research certs are €4, official are €20 but you've zero need for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rye_212

MYOB wrote: »
    That site is a con to part people from their money. Research certs are €4, official are €20 but you've zero need for that.

thank you both for info.

I asked the original question eight months ago. Its only now I see this note on the bottom of the CoI marriage records. DOH! You'd think I'd have noticed it before now! Feeling stupid now, but am posting it in case its helpful to someone else. There is an asterisk for Father's name and also for Father's Profession, this is what it says at the bottom of the page:

*This information should be given whether the Fathers are living or dead, and if the names, &c., are not known, or if parties are unwilling to state them, a stroke should be drawn thus, -
    † “After Banns,” “By Licence,” &c., as the case may be.

• Advertisement

What date / parish is this marriage record ?

I've not seen this wording on the few COI marriage registers I have seen (or on IrishGenealogy) for any of mine, and they definitely didn't follow those guidelines. I know of cases where the father of the bride or groom is deceased and there's no mention on the register.

edit : just checked a few... St. George 1882, no instructions re fathers, but there is in the marriage register for the 1880s in Rathmines

Just did a quick check through my lot of CofI marriage records. That quote is only on the ones I have dated from 1893 onwards, but not on 1892 or earlier.

Advertisement