Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

pillion passenger on am license

• 23-05-2019 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I'm in my 50's considering getting a scooter for getting around town. Have full a car license over 30 yrs years with am on it. question is insurance wont cover for a pillion passenger? how can I get this if i already have a license to drive moped. Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

barroda wrote: »
    Hi I'm in my 50's considering getting a scooter for getting around town. Have full a car license over 30 yrs years with am on it. question is insurance wont cover for a pillion passenger? how can I get this if i already have a license to drive moped. Thanks for any advice

I’ve a moped and I’m covered to carry a pillion, depends on the insurer I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pillion cover is an extra on most policies.

A legal moped struggles with one person, 2 would be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Good point, do you mean a 50cc scooter? Or something a bit bigger.. (which I assume needs a bike licence...)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5 barroda

Just a scooter, had big bikes years ago never got a full license. Thats why a scooter appealed as no need to do the rigamorole of the full bike test .

barroda wrote: »
    Just a scooter, had big bikes years ago never got a full license. Thats why a scooter appealed as no need to do the rigamorole of the full bike test .

There's a lot of hassle to have a vehicle that can only do 45km/h, insurance/tax/helmet, when you could have a pedelec which can do 25km/h with no other expenses bar fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What kind of license do you need for a 50cc?

splinter65 wrote: »
    What kind of license do you need for a 50cc?

Depends how fast it goes.

<45km/h M licence
    > 45km/h A1 licence

Just to clarify something for the sake of it, i had an X8R 50cc moped one time when i was, well lets just say an extremely thin boy, and i regularly carried people of equal build on it, it got the job done perfectly, fast forward several years later, i'm not so the once slim boy i used to be, i have what is effectively a Yamaha Aerox 50cc moped, if i have to stop half way up a hill and take off again it isn't easy to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just to clarify something for the sake of it, i had an X8R 50cc moped one time when i was, well lets just say an extremely thin boy, and i regularly carried people of equal build on it, it got the job done perfectly, fast forward several years later, i'm not so the once slim boy i used to be, i have what is effectively a Yamaha Aerox 50cc moped, if i have to stop half way up a hill and take off again it isn't easy to do it.

Take up jogging ?

:P

listermint wrote: »
    Take up jogging ?

:P

A moped would get up the hill faster than me jogging :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement