Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thursday/Friday: Lightning Storms, Flash Flooding Event Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Midnight radiosonde from Brest, NW France, shows a very strong cap above an elevated mixed layer. Plenty of CAPE there if it can be overcome, but a surface temperature of around 28 degrees would be needed to have a go at it. Most unstable layers are around 950 and 825 hPa.

Forecasts are for 28c in places today.

At 10am (9UTC) it was at 20.2c in Durrow with a wet bulb of 17.4c.

Some "popcorn" cloud about - similar to what was over Dublin last evening.

Also GL - you'll be glad to know I put out a spare MAX thermometer into direct sunlight this morning - just to see! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Met Eireann now calling it for Ulster and Connaught. I'm going to get on with my day. It's a non event for Dublin and the east coast. This is not doom and gloom, this is based on their forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Expect nothing and then you will not be disappointed.

Exacly, thats my thinking on thunderstorms.
    Expect nothing and anything is a bonus, he/she has started that crap in this thread already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here is the upper forcing (divergence, shown by the +) that will hopefully help cool upper levels and increase CAPE values later this afternoon and evening. There is a corresponding boost in vertical motion at 500 hPa (pink area in the Irish Sea), probably also aided by the Welsh terrain, but not so much over Ireland. Hopefully we'll see some action but I'd prefer to be seeing a lot more activity happening over Biscay now. The next few hours are key.

517681.gif

517682.gif

517680.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some models, in fact most now delay storms with heavy rainfall to the early hours of the morning in the east but storms with little or no rainfall prior. This is not actually that unusual with a plume like this - you can have lightning flashing all round and literally no rain reaching the surface. The lightning would be particularly high in elevation but still packs a visual punch.

It's disconcerting at first but it's quite a show all the same.

The last example I can think of was some time in the late 90's but I can't remember the year because I was too young - maybe 97 something like this occurred in Dublin.

If anyone remembers let us know. It was spectacular and very memorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I remember it happening in 2000.

Maybe i'm way out on the year. The lightning was relentless - never seen anything like it before prior but very little rainfall.

Definitely something you'd remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Some models, in fact most now delay storms with heavy rainfall to the early hours of the morning in the east but storms with little or no rainfall prior. This is not actually that unusual with a plume like this - you can have lightning flashing all round and literally no rain reaching the surface. The lightning would be particularly high in elevation but still packs a visual punch.

The last example I can think of was some time in the late 90's but I can't remember the year because I was too young - maybe 97 something like this occurred in Dublin.

I remember something like this in Shannon when I was younger, my Dad brought me up along the river, loads of lightening flashing above us in the clouds, but no rain or thunder. Would have been maybe late 80's or early 90's.

Was surreal at the time.

That's another thing I forgot to mention - no audible thunder - despite lightning every few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

That's another thing I forgot to mention - no audible thunder - despite lightning every few seconds.

I’ve seen that in Florida countless times, but never here! Might it have something to do with strong winds aloft and being upwind from the cell??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I am getting a sicking headache with this mugginess :D I am working at home in the southern part of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

I’ve seen that in Florida countless times, but never here! Might it have something to do with strong winds aloft and being upwind from the cell??

Yep seen it in Florida - known as an electrical storm if I’m not mistaken

I think the models at this stage are better dumped in favor of now casting on observations but Hirlam has most storms hugging the east coast and effecting Wicklow, Dublin, Meath, Louth, Wexford...as well as storms through the north midlands to the northwest.

anim_qyf2.gif

The reality is this could develop a multitude of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

The storm recently in Waterford was something I never experienced before with hardly any thunder and the heft of the rain when it came was crazy plus added the Gardaí were running around our street in the heavier weather looking for someone following as n attempted break in, flashing lights and flashing skies Some kinda awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Comhrá

stevek93 wrote: »
    I am getting a sicking headache with this mugginess :D I am working at home in the southern part of the house.

Well, just go and lie down for a while over in the west wing then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just tipping 22°c in Kildare now with 80% humidity

Just tipping 22°c in Kildare now with 80% humidity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

And 1986

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Lovely morning here on the Laois / kildare border just hitting 23° and a very light breeze..
    I see a certain Facebook weather page issued a purple weather warning yesterday not content with his usual red ..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Met Eireann now calling it for Ulster and Connaught. I'm going to get on with my day. It's a non event for Dublin and the east coast. This is not doom and gloom, this is based on their forecast.

This is unusual, you usually are very optimistic. In these situations thunderstorms can occur in places that they aren't necessarily forecasted to. Also with the east forecast to be sunny, with quite warm and humid conditions into this evening, this heating may well storm development later on. It maybe the case that you miss out on seeing lightning in your area, but i'd be confident you'll at least see some in the distance night sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very warm and sticky in Galway with no wind, real headache weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Warm and windy in North Co Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Wexford - home to thunderstorms and tornadoes.

And strawberries. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

Dublin airport METAR reporting 20 degrees with a DP of 15 and 73% humidity - how people manage to live in warm/hot countries I don't know! :p :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I remember one lin the mid-late 90s, no thunder just crazy high up lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Irelands tornado alley as it were.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

irelands tornado alley as it were :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭geminiman63

Don't forget the new potatoes here, famous country wide :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Anyone remember 2003 I think in October? Lightning/thunder started from morning and lasted well into the night.

• Advertisement

Thunderstorms, Tornadoes, Sunshine, Strawberries, Beaches.... I could go on but I won’t derail the thread ;)

Advertisement