Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sure what are ya on about Gonzo? Sure isnt the weather only mighty. 22c here and sunny. Sorry I cannot remember more than 24 hours.

Today and tomorrow look ok then thats the end of it until 2021

We had by far the most rain in Ireland yesterday

10.5mm Sligo town

3.6mm Markree was next

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Gorgeous in Galway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yesterdays max temperatures shows the cool and murky area over Leinster and the midlands very well. Sunday was basically the same too.

tx_uk.png

and the current temperatures shows the same areas again held back in the teens due to cloud. We've really been very unlucky and this spell and it ends tomorrow/Thursday.

temp_uk.png

Cloud is expected to hang around all day again through most of Leinster and like clockwork will break up while we are asleep tonight.

nmmuk-4-12-0.png?11-10

Cloudy again for Dublin/Meath tomorrow

nmmuk-4-25-0.png?11-11

Cloudy for all on Thursday
    nmmuk-4-43-0.png?11-11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Lovely warm sunny day in Letterkenny, roasting in the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭compsys

Gonzo wrote: »
    another murky grey and cloudy day here in Meath, and there was I foolishly expecting a few seconds of sunshine today but we can't even get that.

Once the Atlantic comes back next week I doubt i'll notice much of a difference in the weather, we might even get more sunshine.

This often happens. Our best weather can be under low pressure as much as high pressure. Only in Ireland...

Often under high pressure (in Dublin at least) we get plagued by a cool easterly breeze (at least up until early June). Then sometimes in July and August under high pressure we magically get stuck under a blanket of cloud that goes nowhere for some reason.

My iPhone is showing a sunny day for tomorrow so fingers crossed. I know people say it can't be trusted but it's gotten forecasting cloud cover right all this past week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another cloudy day with no sunshine. I wonder will it beat yesterdays 0.2 hours of sunshine here at DA.

At least today feels warmer. No even a slight breeze.

Gonzo wrote: »
    This entire summer has been the pitts. I can't think of a single spell of fine weather that has actually worked out in our favor since June the 2nd other than very isolated days of sunny weather and temperatures have only gone north of 20C a few times. I can't remember any other summer being this cloudy through all 3 months.

I know what you mean Gonzo. Its the sunshine that's makes a summer. Saturday actually only reached 18 degrees here in DA but we had over 14 hours of sunshine which I don't think we have had since June Bank Holiday. Also nothing like been in that sunshine all day + never feeling cold. Obviously there can be a wind chill factor that makes it feel colder than actual measured + similarly for me anyway once the sun is there I'm happy + can feel warmer than is.

Thats one of reasons I enjoyed the spring so much. Even though sometimes a bit cool once sun was there + it was a lot of days it just felt lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Unreal in south mayo again now
    So warm !
    The rain promised seems to be getting pushed out further each day too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

appledrop wrote: »
    I know what you mean Gonzo. Its the sunshine that's makes a summer. Saturday actually only reached 18 degrees here in DA but we had over 14 hours of sunshine which I don't think we have had since June Bank Holiday.

We did on June 8th and June 15th in Dublin, some forget just how good those days were here. But otherwise..

I remember June 15th well because I spent the day out at Skerries and at first, there was a strange period of sea fog that was thickest I had seen in a while. But once that cleared, it felt very warm in sparkling sunshine. There were some nice distant CBs building too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Only hitting 20.0°c here in Kildare now. No sun at all yet.

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    We did on June 8th and June 15th in Dublin, some forget just how good those days were here. But otherwise..

I remember June 15th well because I spent the day out at Skerries and at first, there was a strange period of sea fog that was thickest I had seen in a while. But once that cleared, it felt very warm in sparkling sunshine. There were some nice distant CBs building too.

Ah i know what you mean but I admit I sometimes forget especially if they are weekdays because if I'm working I don't then have a 'nice' memory to connect to weather. Like I will never forgot June bank holiday as on beach 3 separate days + similarly on Sat out enjoying it all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very warm here in Castlebar. Knock airport reporting 23 degrees at 5pm. Nice evening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Stunning day in Cork, near cloudless. Still 23c at Cork Airport at 5pm. In major beach traffic jam but worth it after a great day. Fantastic 5 days of weather since Friday. Nice to be on the right side of a country wide divide for once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

Blue and cloudless sky in Donegal.

24 degrees and roasting.

Definitely the hottest day we have had this year. Roasters it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A fantastic day. Warm, but not too warm. I think I'll head off to Silver Strand in Louisburgh some day this week. There are few places nicer in fine weather!

Mount Dillon and Cork airport 24 degrees @ 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

A fantastic day. Warm, but not too warm. I think I'll head off to Silver Strand in Louisburgh some day this week. There are few places nicer in fine weather!

Was there on a "staycation" two weeks ago. First time in that area. Gorgeous beach alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Drove from cork up to Sligo with a few pitstops along the way, very warm the entire way up with cloud pretty much disappearing north of mayo. Lovely evening in Sligo atm. Car reading 23/24 the entire warm and very warm in the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The second time in the last 4 days it has got over 23C in Castlebar, I am really enjoying this spell as we have really been devoid of this kind of weather since May, hopefully we see our usual September warm spell as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Blue and cloudless sky in Donegal.

24 degrees and roasting.

Definitely the hottest day we have had this year. Roasters it is.

Where about? Clouded over in Letterkenny since lunch time :rolleyes:

Edit: suddenly turned into a beautiful evening again with clear clear blue skies!

• Advertisement

The Perseids meteor shower will occur tonight for those with clear skies. Nice night for viewing,not feeling to cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

The Perseids meteor shower will occur tonight for those with clear skies. Nice night for viewing,not feeling to cold.

Very unlikely we’ll see it in Dublin with the cloudy skies. Such a pity

Ah lads will you stop rubbing it in!

3 days since we have seen the sun at all in Dublin never mind a lovely sunny evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

3rd or 4th glorious day here in north Donegal.

The sun's been shining that much I've lost count!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

appledrop wrote: »
    Ah lads will you stop rubbing it in!

3 days since we have seen the sun at all in Dublin never mind a lovely sunny evening!

We had to deal with it for most of the spring down south! Think ye can handle a few days :p haha

Lovely evening in Sligo, sitting outside with a drink

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Where are the clear skies we're supposed to be getting tonight in Dun Laoghaire?! This was supposed to be a perfect night for watching the Perseids and yet all I can see out my window is grey :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Scutter in Dublin today

Expect more scutter for the rest of the week

Roll on Autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I know the weather forecasts have been hit and miss during COVID, but this is ridiculous. It's entirely overcast and cloudy over the entire damn sky right now!

From Met eireann for Leinster:

A clear night but becoming cloudy by early morning. There is a risk of mist and fog overnight. Winds light and variable. Lowest temperatures of 11 to 15 degrees.

And for Dun Laoghaire:

UlWpdaf.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Felt so hot today, 92% rh now and 18C.

Melting...

• Advertisement

Today,as mentioned by posters above,West and South was best. Todays max:

Athenry 24.6 degrees
    Moorepark 24.3
    Mount Dillon 24.2
    Cork and Claremorris 23.8

At the other end:
    Casement 19.1 degrees
    Dublin airport 18.8 degrees