Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Well we all saw what a non event Monday was with the trough staying over the UK and not sending anything but bits of rain our way.

Later Weds or early Thurs into Thurs and possibly into Fri looks like a better set up for thunderstorms breaking out and charts already showing heavy rain potential in the South. Looking like relatively high temperatures Weds , ARPEGE showing up to 26C in the Southern half of the country but widespread 23 to 25C with very high DP's, showing temps of 19C at 03.00 Thurs and DP's in the high teens. Thurs best Temps in the Northern half of the country getting up around 23C and the Southern half getting up to the high teens and warmer in the SE possibly up to 22C or so, again Dp's in the high teens so very humid and sticky. Charts showing troughs transiting the country, common trend at the moment is for the best potential for thunderstorm activity is in the Southern half of the country and especially so along Southern coasts and would think the SE could be the sweet spot if storms break out going by the present runs, only my thoughts and as has been seen by the warnings from Met Eireann and The Met Office for last Monday it doesn't always go to plan. This looks different though, much more chance of storms I reckon, plenty of model watching tomorrow !

We might be seeing more great pictures from spookwoman :)

Some energy over in the UK.

cCzcqxp.gif

3z76CZH.gif

anim_jhh3.gif

Mg0hs88.gif

anim_ewf1.gif

arpegeuk-25-62-0_vef5.png

znh56rA.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Meteorite is there any chance of Thunder in the West as I have radio antennas on the roof I am always a bit weary of storms from the South and take them down I never worry about Winter ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Seeing some flashes in South tipp light up the sky but not seeing anything on lightning maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

https://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/webcams/penguin-cam/#penguincam

The penguins don't seem to be bothered by the flashes in Edinburgh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Seeing some flashes in South tipp light up the sky but not seeing anything on lightning maps?

I'm seeing it too from here in South Laois. My guess is a cell has just fired over Bangor on the west Wales coast.

I would be astonished if it were from the Chester storm about 50 miles east of Bangor.

sweet_trip wrote: »

Anywhere near the waterford border? Might head out to high ground to see if I can see anything

spookwoman wrote: »
    Anywhere near the waterford border? Might head out to high ground to see if I can see anything

The flashes are rather faint, an odd brighter one. Not overly frequent either.

Danno wrote: »
    The flashes are rather faint, an odd brighter one. Not overly frequent either.

Cant sleep in this heat so might as well do something plus cooler outside

Seen a couple of flashes off to my SE, probably the one off St. Davids in SW Wales! Incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Out stargazing, faint flashes off the south coast cant pin point the location.

Saw a few meteorites burning up too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Meteorite is there any chance of Thunder in the West as I have radio antennas on the roof I am always a bit weary of storms from the South and take them down I never worry about Winter ones

The Skew chart for near Galway at noon Thurs showing thunderstorms possible. No expert mind you.

Seeing TT readings of 48 and 49 in the area, 50 showing up also in the midlands.

TT = 45 to 50: Thunderstorms possible.
    TT = 50 to 55: Thunderstorms more likely, possibly severe.
    TT = 55 to 60: Severe thunderstorms most likely.

LI readings of -2 and -1 around Galway, there are some -3 readings like Castlecomer mid morning.

LI is generally scaled as follows:

LI 6 or Greater, Very Stable Conditions
    LI Between 1 and 6 : Stable Conditions, Thunderstorms Not Likely
    LI Between 0 and -2 : Slightly Unstable, Thunderstorms Possible, With Lifting Mechanism (i.e., cold front, daytime heating, ...)
    LI Between -2 and -6 : Unstable, Thunderstorms Likely, Some Severe With Lifting Mechanism
    LI Less Than -6: Very Unstable, Severe Thunderstorms Likely With Lifting Mechanism

Would really need to see the charts again tomorrow, will keep an eye on it. Gerry after the news mentioned possible heavy thundery showers and gave time talking about the heat and thunderstorms and unstable air mass making its way up from France and the UK in over Ireland later Weds into Thurs.

yhRsmPR.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Even the Shetland Islands getting storms tonight. This country is buggered in plenty of ways this year.

The K Index is a handy tool also to add to the mix, can see that the potential is there for thunderstorms, but would need to compare with tomorrows charts , explanation from Meteologix.com below.

Quote 'This map displays the forecast for the K-Index which is a measure of how favorable the atmosphere is for thunderstorm development. The K-Index uses factors like the mid level lapse rate (how fast the air cools with height in the mid levels of the atmosphere) and lower atmospheric moisture to predict how likely thunderstorm formation is. Generally speaking, values less than 20 don’t support thunderstorms, values between 20 and 35 get increasingly supportive of thunderstorms, and any values over 35 indicate a very high chance of thunderstorm formation. However it’s important to note that no single index can predict thunderstorm formation with any certainty. The K-Index, much like CAPE, is intended to give a general indication for how likely thunderstorms are.'

kp0Hta4.gif

pad199207 wrote: »
    Even the Shetland Islands getting storms tonight. This country is buggered in plenty of ways this year.

Met Eireann (RTE 9pm) and UKMO (Youtube) showing overnight showers tomorrow night (Wednesday night into Thursday morning) drifting in from Wales.

Could be an interesting evening and night!

Damn fog, saw a distant flash and then the fog just rolled in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The WRF going overboard again showing major thunderstorm potential over western and northern Ireland for Thursday. Last time the WRF showed this intensity barely anything happened so much caution is advised when looking at their charts.

nmmuk-6-47-0.png?11-23

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Right then! Thunder for Cork tonight, yeah??

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Right then! Thunder for Cork tonight, yeah??

Cork certainly with moderate risk of Thunderstorms tonight and into Thurs, all along S and SE coasts has a fairly good chance I'd reckon. Fair chance inland also more so in S half of country. High rainfall totals also, hard to pinpoint, AROME showing warnings will probably come into effect more so for coastal counties maybe from Kerry to Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »

Not far from the thicker boundary (Severe) here - could be interesting if they hold their strength pushing WNW from the southeast.

I think the timing of this is great for SE Ireland, plenty of daytime heating ahead of the incoming trough later this evening.

Shower building near Fishguard. This might come onshore up along the east coast in a few hours...

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Kilkenny, Wexford, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy thundery rain late this evening and overnight, with accumulations of 20 to 30mm. Torrential downpours in places leading to spot flooding.

Valid: 20:00 Wednesday 12/08/2020 to 09:00 Thursday 13/08/2020

Issued: 12:00 Wednesday 12/08/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

Danno wrote: »
    Shower building near Fishguard. This might come onshore up along the east coast in a few hours...

Current trajectory seems to show it moving almost due north or possibly a little bit towards the northeast, staying in the Irish Sea (incidentally, its direction is almost directly opposite the surface level winds so I'd imagine there's good shear there to keep storms alive). Doesn't look to have sparked although I would say that is imminent.

In any case, it's promising to see cells developing not too far away.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Kilkenny, Wexford, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy thundery rain late this evening and overnight, with accumulations of 20 to 30mm. Torrential downpours in places leading to spot flooding.

Valid: 20:00 Wednesday 12/08/2020 to 09:00 Thursday 13/08/2020

Issued: 12:00 Wednesday 12/08/2020

Surprised to see Carlow left off that. :confused:

Wicklow another contender.

Insane CAPE levels over in the UK and watch all that energy move across over us ! Could even see some severe thunderstorms at this rate perhaps. Looking like a memorable weather event about to unfold.

ECM 06Z just out up to 10.00 tomorrow.

jwHvMgT.gif

zohP5xj.gif

d5MMN1B.gif

A3d8a81.png

aromehd-25-27-0_zhl6.png

jimmynokia wrote: »

Don't often see that black line in Ireland. Let there be light tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

Any chance Dublin will see anything at all

chris2007 wrote: »
    Any chance Dublin will see anything at all

It looks like anywhere south of Dublin could well see some sparks overnight tonight

• Advertisement

Some sparks off the the coast of cornwall

Advertisement