Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A thread for weather extremes that don’t normally get reported

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

What was the previous record before it was broken yesterday. 44.6c or 45c? The distance by which this record has been broken is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Bsal

New record for Canada again today, wonder if tomorrow will beat it

https://twitter.com/NWSEastern/status/1409682508074082306?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The cold anomaly in large parts of the Arctic.

Normal (i.e last year)

ECH0-0.GIF?12

Now it's sub -8c 850's...quite unusual for the time of year even more so to see sub -10s anywhere at those latitudes, this will be impeding melt at the surface as temperatures at that level remain at or below freezing.

ECH0-0.GIF?29-12

Some Canadian meteorologists on twitter saying there's an outside chance of 49c today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

M.T is going to be Melt.T.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

M.T is going to be Melt.T.

Yeah he's in Nelson or thereabouts? It'll get hot in the interior alright but thoughts and prayers for anyone in the Okanagan.

Environment Canada

Extreme heat warning for BC. Highs 40 to 48c today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I am indeed melt T. these days, getting used to it, day four of insane heat here, my location is 2 miles west of Warfield which you see on that map hitting 42.5 yesterday, so probably 42.0 here as we're higher up the hill. That location by the way is not as notorious a heat trap as Lytton or Osoyoos which have a friendly rivalry as hottest locations in BC (and now Canada). And it's probably slightly cooler than Trail BC which is a larger town and down in the Columbia valley a few hundred meters lower in elevation. So Trail probably hit 44 C yesterday. There is very little shade around that area, natural semi-arid landscape further modified by decades of smelter activity (nowadays much reduced and cleaned up, but it obliterated the natural tree cover in the valley between the 1920s and 1970s).

We expect to be in this for another three days as the heat dome slowly deflates and slides off to the east. Here's a view of the 500 mb flow pattern this morning.

https://weather.gc.ca/data/analysis/sai_100.gif

My location is about 50 miles west (and 5 miles north) of where the map shows Idaho's narrow panhandle reaching the Canadian border. This is where the heat dome is now centered, yesterday it was right over my location. But being a bit west of it places us where Lytton was yesterday so it's no improvement yet.

The Dalles is a town in Oregon but their airport is across the Columbia River in WA state so there's a discussion ongoing as to whether their 118 F yesterday should count as WA state new all-time record, however I imagine Pasco (Tri-Cities) will hit 119 or 120 anyway and end that debate.

These are the hottest temperatures I have experienced at my home location including the decades I lived in Ontario (where 102 F was my home max) but I have seen 117 F in Las Vegas and St George Utah on a road trip in 2011, so that remains my lifetime max anywhere. I guess I could get myself into Death Valley if I wanted to improve on that, but I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zisdead

I am indeed melt T. these days, getting used to it, day four of insane heat here, my location is 2 miles west of Warfield which you see on that map hitting 42.5 yesterday, so probably 42.0 here as we're higher up the hill. That location by the way is not as notorious a heat trap as Lytton or Osoyoos which have a friendly rivalry as hottest locations in BC (and now Canada). And it's probably slightly cooler than Trail BC which is a larger town and down in the Columbia valley a few hundred meters lower in elevation. So Trail probably hit 44 C yesterday. There is very little shade around that area, natural semi-arid landscape further modified by decades of smelter activity (nowadays much reduced and cleaned up, but it obliterated the natural tree cover in the valley between the 1920s and 1970s).

We expect to be in this for another three days as the heat dome slowly deflates and slides off to the east. Here's a view of the 500 mb flow pattern this morning.

My location is about 50 miles west (and 5 miles north) of where the map shows Idaho's narrow panhandle reaching the Canadian border. This is where the heat dome is now centered, yesterday it was right over my location. But being a bit west of it places us where Lytton was yesterday so it's no improvement yet.

The Dalles is a town in Oregon but their airport is across the Columbia River in WA state so there's a discussion ongoing as to whether their 118 F yesterday should count as WA state new all-time record, however I imagine Pasco (Tri-Cities) will hit 119 or 120 anyway and end that debate.

These are the hottest temperatures I have experienced at my home location including the decades I lived in Ontario (where 102 F was my home max) but I have seen 117 F in Las Vegas and St George Utah on a road trip in 2011, so that remains my lifetime max anywhere. I guess I could get myself into Death Valley if I wanted to improve on that, but I don't.

I am pretty sure the 117 in Salem Oregon would be the new OR state record anyway? Quite remarkable as it sits in the Willamette Valley and is not east of the cascades in the Oregon desert region.

• Advertisement

Aftermath of an intense hailstorm in Eastern France.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mediavenir/status/1409862968234459144

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

49.°c (120f) at Lytton BC

49.0c has been reached at Lytton, may go a little higher

https://twitter.com/robsobs/status/1410001361857437701?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 22,122 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Bsal wrote: »
    49.0c has been reached at Lytton, may go a little higher

https://twitter.com/robsobs/status/1410001361857437701?s=20

Move along folks
    Nothing to see here

So that's 4C above the old record before this heatwave. Nuts.

As mad as it, if it reaches 50°c I’ll be speechless. Climate is seriously in need of a check!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

pad199207 wrote: »
    49.°c (120f) at Lytton BC

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILYTTON2

Nearby AWS isn't far out either for an Easyweather bargain basement unit!:cool:

• Advertisement

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Think some folk are using the PWS on Main Street at the Two River's Inn (the station I linked to earlier) as their source for Twitter tweets.

Danno wrote: »
    Think some folk are using the PWS on Main Street at the Two River's Inn (the station I linked to earlier) as their source for Twitter tweets.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ECCCWeatherBC/status/1410017678216024067

They're confirming 49.5c now. Final figure later.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zisdead

That's only 1C off the all time Australian record!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,122 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Bsal wrote: »

Completely normal, nothing unusual at all. Oh look there’s an ice age coming according to that inexplicably long running thread….

The PWS topped out at 50.4c which was 0.8c above the official reading just south of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

This is the last image from the Lytton weather station webcam before it went off line around 540 pm local. Last weather report from Lytton was at 541 pm with a temperature of 37C and winds gusting to 67 kmh
    https://pic.twitter.com/imM0VH5aeD
    https://twitter.com/robsobs/status/1410416856603656195

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Updated 500 mb analysis, the heights are impressive but the thicknesses are to die for.

This is basically the 1936 heat wave applied to this part of the world. They also had a staggering death toll from heat prostration in large cities and it was probably a bit worse because that was a more humid air mass with overnight lows that stayed near 27 C (we have seen slightly lower minima although it means little because the temperature stays up near 25 C until 0300h then falls off for two hours before the sun starts the cycle over again).

I heard on the news that "only" 40 per cent of people in BC have air conditioning, which seems quite high to me, I don't think I have ever been in an air conditioned home in BC and that includes a few quite wealthy people (they weren't in at the time, ha ha) ... maybe a few luxury apartment buildings have a/c, ironically most of them are near waterfronts that remain cooler in heat waves. Also I wouldn't be surprised if people in these hot spots have a/c, I have only been through Lytton once and wasn't thinking to look (it wasn't all that hot).

We had the Spokane TV news on earlier and same story there, heat prostration emergency calls in poorer parts of town. Probably more residents of WA and interior parts of OR have a/c, there are places down there where you would need it to survive every summer not just this one. Of course it's very commonly found across the southern half of the U.S., back in Ontario when I lived there, also not that many people had a/c and there was a need for it several times in the average summer. People just get used to coping with the heat without it, you get onto a schedule of when to open the drapes or blinds, screen windows, and when to close them up. But when there's no relief at night it doesn't work too well (this is why they all have a/c in the southwestern states, the overnight lows are in the range of 29 C to 34 C on a routine basis down there).

Two similar aspects to 1936 for this heat wave -- (a) it broke existing records for dates by 10-15 F deg and all-time records by 5-10 F deg, and (b) it pushed extreme heat further north than had been seen before.

I am hoping a third similarity is that it won't happen again for a century. There have been some monster heat waves since 1936, but none of them quite matched it. Oddly this does not show up very well in the NYC temperature records, the only distinction for 1936 is that it set the all-time record of 106 F at NYC, but for a weekly average it barely made the top 50 (it was number one for that in Toronto however). Perhaps a close second would be the 1953 heat wave which lasted about ten days in late August and early September, with very high averages for those prolonged periods. We lived through one in 1988 that came at the same time as 1936 but only within about 8 F deg, it would have broken the pre-1936 records by a slight margin. And there was another attempt in 1995 to recreate the same flow pattern, but that time there was a lot of humidity present and the dew points were the big talking point rather than the air temperatures. For places around Chicago it was probably effectively a worse outcome with humidex values above 50 C from 37 C temps and 29 C dew points.

Anyway, every singularity is different (that's why they are singularities). This one has overstayed its welcome and as it oozes out into the prairies, I think over the next four or five days it will just slowly transform into a more normal summer heat pattern for the central portion of the continent, get swept away by a short wave and off to the oblivion of all such events, only to be recalled in later years by weather weenies and people with exceptional memories otherwise. It's good for the odd joke, like Bill Gates was fooling around with his weather control machine and everything backfired on him, or bring back air travel, we need more contrails.

Advertisement