Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT Booking - Impossible!

• 29-05-2008 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭

Just went on to NCT site - to create a booking - There was no free dates at all to book (in the Limerick centre anyhow)

Any idea what's going on? Hope the guards know this when they inspect my out of date NCT disc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

can you book sundays online?
    if not... ring them up and ask if you can book in for a sunday
    and tbh... Guards don't give a **** about the NCT cert

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was told to try the online booking tool just before 08:00 am as apparently any cancelation slots are made available at around that time online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I wouldn't be so sure about that - my sister was prosecuted for being a week out of date

No Sundays online no - didn't know they opened Sundays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I am only getting the NCT done as I might sell on the car. I have been stopped loads of times at checkpoints and never once was I asked about the missing NCT sert. THe wifes car has it in the glove box and again never a word. Does it matter when it comes down to an Insurance claim I wonder ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gniie

i always booked by e-mail. normaly i get about 2-4 weeks waiting time. when i asked for a different date i got it earlier(!!!!). just try. you got nothing to loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

ShayK1 wrote: »
    can you book sundays online?
    if not... ring them up and ask if you can book in for a sunday
    and tbh... Guards don't give a **** about the NCT cert

They do when you're driving and Evo 5 or any old high performance car

Garda: Where's the NCT
    Me: Only have the car a week
    Garda: Have you a date booked
    Me: Yes 18th June
    Garda: I'll Be keeping an eye out for you after the 18th lad. On you go.

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I had major trouble getting a date for Deansgrange in Dublin, they're all booked up. I just kept checking every day and eventually one came up - waiting the full 6 weeks though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I noticed that they seem busy at the moment also. I tried to book my wife's car into Ballymun and the nearest date I could get was nearly a month away.

I wonder has the recent clampdown had anything to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

keith_d99 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure about that - my sister was prosecuted for being a week out of date

No Sundays online no - didn't know they opened Sundays

not all of them do, but some do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

when i was booking my nct online the sytem seemed to either have a bug in it or be offline or something, one day I'd check and there'd be nothing available at all anywhere and the next day i'd have the pick of days and times a week in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I just put my car in for Nct today (it passed no problem)...

I booked it on Sunday online and got an appointment today at Fonthill no problem...

on a side note: The guy had to recheck my suspension on another machine as he thought it was faulty due to my suspension having a near perfect reading. he said its rare for a car four years old to have a reading that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

Yep.. me to, actually I've check every day since amonth ago to book it online... every week full since then, called nct centre they cannot booked for me coz it already fully booked untill end of september.... my nct expire end of this mth (july)...

So how the guard will know this... I already tried to book nct 2 months before my nct expire... but still not available...

Just went on to NCT site - to create a booking - There was no free dates at all to book (in the Limerick centre anyhow)

Any idea what's going on? Hope the guards know this when they inspect my out of date NCT disc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I thought the website was broken too (also Limerick) but I just rang them and they are actually fully booked out. She said to ring early in the morning (around 8:00-8:30) to try and get some cancellations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ring them up, you may get a cancellation, my dad rang them last wednessday morning, told him there was no dates, but to ring back at 1pm. he rang back at 1 pm and he got a cancellation for 7.30 that same evening.

that was in the ballymun centre in dublin, but it may work for limerick too.

I did ring them up a few times... as they suggested, around 8.00-9.00 am and between 2.00-3.00pm, but still full... and they ask to ring them again tomorrow... tomorrow... tomorrow... that is ridiculous, what they need to do is open more NCT Centre as cars need to NCT is growing every day... or take long service hours like 7.00 am ~ 10.00 pm every day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

I agree, its a total farce. Ive failed it twice now on ridiculously small things, the second time was for something that the original tester even failed to spot! Ive been trying to get a retest for the last 2 weeks (ringing everyday looking for a cancellation) and if i dont get a date tomorrow ill have to pay the full fee AGAIN. farce.farce. farce. If they cant give me a date within the 21 days after a failure, then why the f*ck should i have to pay the full fee. Its their fault not mine.

/rant

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

grahambo wrote: »

Assh0le!
    Why was the Garda an assh0le? He/she decided to turn a blind eye to your infringement and thats all you can say?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Any idea what's going on?

This is a nationwide problem, there are 2 key reasons

1. The boy racers are suddenly getting compliant because the are all off to Oz for work and need to sell the wheels to get the price of the ticket. Non NCT'd cars pre 2000 are worthless now ....well maybe you would get €50 for it .

2. The recent enforcement of the new drivers licence laws makes it more likely they will be caught with an out of date NCT even if they have a licence and as they all have a licence ( of course) they therefore have proof they know the law and have no excuse for not having an NCT .

Its impossible to get a booking anywhere in the west bar Clifden , what a PITH :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I rang NCT (Limerick) on July 2nd. My NCT was up on the 3rd but more importantly my driving test is on the 29th. She first gave me a date of August the 12th, saying that it was the nearest available. I said i NEED it sooner because of test and she said ok i'll put you on a priority list that get cancellations dealt out to them.....so keep an eye on my phone over the next few weeks as they will text me.

4 days later I got a text saying that my NCT is on July 15th at 2.10.

I certainly can't complain about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I booked mine about a month ago and was given next friday in Limerick about 9pm i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Limerick NCT center is packed out, will rarely give a date out over the phone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I VRT'd my car recently so I will be putting it onto the NCT system in the next week or two. Sounds like I will be waiting a while to get a date for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

What happened? Did they just fine her or did they seize her car?

grahambo wrote: »

<SNIP>

Sounds like you met a <really nice> Guard, though they do have a reputation of being like that to young guys with certain cars. And, (unless you live in a fairly small town) how exactly was this Guard going to keep an eye out for you?

I've been through plenty of checkpoints and there's never been a word said about the absence of an NCT disc.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Orlee wrote: »
    I had major trouble getting a date for Deansgrange in Dublin, they're all booked up. I just kept checking every day and eventually one came up - waiting the full 6 weeks though

Ditto.

When I got there and spoke to a few others in the queue I then discovered that several of them had come from well outside of Dublin for two reasons. One, they had problems getting a convenient date from their local NCT centre. Two, they were in Dublin regularly on business and it was more convenient for them to turn up in Deansgrange. This was mid week.

In previous years they have been very prompt in relation to appointment times in Deansgrange. This year they only got to me about 15 minutes after the appointment time but that might have just been a bad day.

You can get your NCT done something like three months before it's due date and that is what I do as soon the three month window becomes open. I used to do that then check again for cancelled slots that were more convenient but there weren't any this time around (May 2008).

Finally, it is an offence not to have up to date NCT and the relevant disc on display. What happens at a check point probably depends on the individual who checks your car !

A District Justice was convicted this year for not having a current NCT !!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sounds like you met a prick of a Guard

The car was not NCT'd. The Garda could have given a €1,500 fine or whatever it is. Instead he / she just asked to check was it booked in for an NCT. The Garda was giving grahambo a break here.

Any more totally unfair Garda bashing in this thread will be met with a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

unkel wrote: »
    The car was not NCT'd. The Garda could have given a €1,500 fine or whatever it is. Instead he / she just asked to check was it booked in for an NCT. The Garda was giving grahambo a break here.

Any more totally unfair Garda bashing in this thread will be met with a ban.

Firstly, the Guard couldn't hand out a fine. He could issue a summons for him to appear in court, and the court would then impose the appropriate fine.;)

In fairness, if grahambo only had the car a week how could he possibly have an nct. There's obviously a serious backlog in the waiting times for the nct, as evidenced from the thread. In that case, what was the above poster to do?

Are you suggesting that he shouldn't have driven his new car because of no nct. And if so, how would he get his new car to the nct centre when his test was due?

He already had his car booked in before he even approached the checkpoint, so I don't see how the Guard was giving him a break. Imho, grahambo acted perfectly reasonable, and even if the Guard tried to prosecute him, I think the case would thrown out.

Just spoke with my neighbour today... His NCT also expired a few weeks, and a few more his office mates still failed to book NCT...

I've sent email to NCT last week, but still haven't get any reply... any suggestion?...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

yayamark wrote: »
    I booked mine about a month ago and was given next friday in Limerick about 9pm i think.

I passed thanks for asking! :P

Was there only 15mins very handy. Great to have everything in order if i get stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Trying to book an NCT myself. There's only two centres that are convienient for me and unfortunately one is fully booked for the next month seemingly and the other has a date that is too soon and is then booked for the next few weeks after that.

I got the car serviced a couple of weeks ago and I'm wondering should I chance putting it through anyway as I reckon it should hopefully pass. Although the mechanic didn't give it a full service for the NCT as we planned on doing that later...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

im the same ,cant get a booking for my car down here in carlow ! :(

said id have to wait 8 weeks for a space :eek:

have to agree hear with unkel.
    that guard could have given him a summons &
    told him to take it off the road till test day !!!

Advertisement