Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wifi mesh systems

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Have you disconnected and reconnected all your devices, they will need to get a new DHCP lease from the f2000 as the TP Link was giving them the lease before this in router mode.

Thanks that worked. I had dns settings installed on the f2000 from getflix, will I lose this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Thanks that worked. I had dns settings installed on the f2000 from getflix, will I lose this now?
    If your F2000 is bridged, it would be cleaner to have your TP doing DNS, DHCP, Firewall etc.

Just turn DHCP on on the TP and off on the F2000
    You can configure your TP with whatever DNS you like.

Just make sure nothing is plugged into your F2000 other than your TP. Some people are tempted to use the bridged modem as a spare switch. Don't do that. That switch isn't protected.

RangeR wrote: »
    If your F2000 is bridged, it would be cleaner to have your TP doing DNS, DHCP, Firewall etc.

Just make sure nothing is plugged into your F2000 other than your TP. Some people are tempted to use the bridged modem as a spare switch. Don't do that. That switch isn't protected.
    I have the hive hub plugged into the f2000 but maybe I can plug that into the deco?

I have the hive hub plugged into the f2000 but maybe I can plug that into the deco?

Plug EVERYTHING into the Deco.

The ports on a bridged modem [your F2000] are open on the internet and not protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

WLad wrote: »
    The only issue you might hit when it's in a simulated bridge mode is double NAT. If your business uses a VPN for anything or has specific port forwarding requirements then you might be in trouble. If you do have these requirements then a workaround is to plug the devices that need a VPN or port forwarding into VM router and not the TT.

As it's a home office I do also host a Plex server for some friends and family and a Minecraft server for my youngest so yes I need port forwarding and I do also use VPN's from time to time for various Geo lock get arounds.

I see that UPnP is enabled in both the VM Hitron Modem and separately in the TT Router Admin app. Should I disable UPnP in the VM Modem and let the TT manage it?

z2sY6I8.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

You'll definitely need only one of them managing it, I'm just not sure which is better. I don't have much experience with UPnP - hopefully someone else will know.

I do know that one concrete way of fixing this is to not use the TT as your router and turn DHCP back on the hitron. If the TT supports access point mode that's what I'd be doing as its waaaay less hassle to just let the router be a router and make the mesh system be your access points.

You'll definitely need only one of them managing it, I'm just not sure which is better. I don't have much experience with UPnP - hopefully someone else will know.

I do know that one concrete way of fixing this is to not use the TT as your router and turn DHCP back on the hitron. If the TT supports access point mode that's what I'd be doing as its waaaay less hassle to just let the router be a router and make the mesh system be your access points.

Yes and no. Definitely one router. It doesn't really matter which one it is. If it was me, I'd have the more powerful machine be the router. The Hitron [or most ISP provider routers] isn't known to be a workhorse.

Either way, which ever you choose to be the router, Use that box to be the service provider for all services like DHCP, DNS, uPNP [I always disable that as I deem it a security risk]. It doesn't really matter which box is your DHCP/DNS but it's always easier to know which box to dick around with in 6 months time if something goes wrong. If the Hitron is just your bridge, you always dick around with the DECO settings.

If you choose to have the Hitron to be the modem, disable all services on it. It should just be the bridge to the internet. If you choose the DECO to be just AP, disable all basic network services on it.

Also, on Parental Controls, I believe the DECO has this too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone come across this, can't see online so before I sit on hold with Virgin....

We have Google WiFi and I read here its recommend you switch the virgin hub to modem mode, the instructions and online it says and show there is 'modem mode on the left hand side of the screen when you log into we don't have it...

Anyone come across this, can't see online so before I sit on hold with Virgin....

We have Google WiFi and I read here its recommend you switch the virgin hub to modem mode, the instructions and online it says and show there is 'modem mode on the left hand side of the screen when you log into we don't have it...
    Yes. Ideally you set the vm router to bridged mode.

Yes. Ideally you set the vm router to bridged mode.

Yeah it's just not giving me the option,on the videos online its in the list on the left hand side of the screen.....not on mine though (see photo above).

BTW enabling modem mode is what I should do (the same as bridge mode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Just reading about it now so will change it. I tried out the kids Xbox last night and it said NAT open but I don't understand how these things work never mind NAT so I'll take others advice, just a shame to lose the parental control.

You can do parental control on the F2000. Maybe not quite as user-friendly as the Deco App - but it works. Some people on this thread are advising to use F2000 as your router, and others advising to use Deco as your router. Very confusing! Either way, you must only have one router. There are pro's and con's to which you choose. I recommend that you use the F2000 as your router, and Deco in AP mode for the following reasons,

- F2000 will be your firewall, and will be managed by your ISP
    - Your ISP customer care will be able to access your F2000, and manage it
    - You will receive security patches automatically from your ISP
    - If you have IPTV from your ISP, it will work without any tweaking
    - If you have VOIP from your ISP, it will work no issues
    - You can use the spare ports on your F2000, and they will be protected

If you go with the alternative - using the Deco as your router, and F2000 in Bridge Mode, you can use extra features on the Deco, but you really need to know what you are doing, and you can't assume any of the above.

Right, so this is how I've set up so far. I have my main deco plugged into my F2000 and my hive hub is plugged into the main deco. Second deco is in the new extension where we was getting the main dead spot and 3rd deco is upstairs in bedroom. Deco is AP mode and WiFi is turned off on the F2000. I'm getting a steady 80mbps across the house now which is good compared to what it is.
    Is there anything else I should do to the F2000 other than turn WiFi off?

Right, so this is how I've set up so far. I have my main deco plugged into my F2000 and my hive hub is plugged into the main deco. Second deco is in the new extension where we was getting the main dead spot and 3rd deco is upstairs in bedroom. Deco is AP mode and WiFi is turned off on the F2000. I'm getting a steady 80mbps across the house now which is good compared to what it is.

It sounds like you have everything correctly configured. Nothing else required in the F2000 other than turning off WiFi. However, if you want to set up parental controls or change your DNS servers (eg to Google), you need to do this in the F2000. All ISP DNS servers are susceptible to occasional denial-of-service attacks, so I prefer to use Google DNS, but not essential.

No, that's spot on. As you're using the f2000 as your gateway router you can use it's LAN ports, it's firewall protects all your devices (bridge mode which you're not using bypasses the firewall exposing devices)

Nice one, it's great how it all works, I just don't have a notion of how it does 😂

Nice one, it's great how it all works, I just don't have a notion of how it does 😂

Enjoy, don't fix it till it's broke!

I have 1 Deco behind TV, can I plug cable from deco direct into TV and give it wired connection or is this not needed.

I have 1 Deco behind TV, can I plug cable from deco direct into TV and give it wired connection or is this not needed.

Yes most definitely, you would be daft not to, cable everything that can be cabled, the less things using your WiFi the better it will perform. I would especially try to get media players, consoles, cameras etc on wired Ethernet if possible, keep WiFi for devices that need mobility

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Finally got around tho setting up google nest mesh system with virgin media hub 2.0. I turned the wifi off in the virgin settings. Any other config changes I need to consider to avoid things like double NAT?

GrumPy wrote: »
    Finally got around tho setting up google nest mesh system with virgin media hub 2.0. I turned the wifi off in the virgin settings. Any other config changes I need to consider to avoid things like double NAT?

Was modem mode an option when you logged in as it wasn't for me? Think I have the hub 4.

• Advertisement

GrumPy wrote: »

You want to turn on modem [or bridged] mode to prevent double NAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

Hi,

I've got cat6 cables ran in my ceilings downstairs to either end of my house, with the original intention of ceiling mounted AccessPoints. If possible I want to avoid the signaldrop when moving between Access points

Are there any options for a good Mesh setup that will work on POE (There's no power cables ran beside the cat 6). Most of what I see are powered options so maybe best to just forget about the cat6 in the ceiling and go with the powered options?

Thanks.

jacko wrote: »
    Hi,

I've got cat6 cables ran in my ceilings downstairs to either end of my house, with the original intention of ceiling mounted AccessPoints. If possible I want to avoid the signaldrop when moving between Access points

Are there any options for a good Mesh setup that will work on POE (There's no power cables ran beside the cat 6). Most of what I see are powered options so maybe best to just forget about the cat6 in the ceiling and go with the powered options?

Thanks.

Wired access points will always outperform a mesh system. The word mesh references the mesh wireless network that's created to communicate between APs.

If you are going wired access points like Ubiquiti then that's your best option. The drop between them should be minimal anyway and there will also be the same drop if its a mesh system.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

Wired access points will always outperform a mesh system. The word mesh references the mesh wireless network that's created to communicate between APs.

If you are going wired access points like Ubiquiti then that's your best option. The drop between them should be minimal anyway and there will also be the same drop if its a mesh system.

Thanks WLad.

So a ceiling mounted Ubiquiti then is best way to go and use the cat6 to power.

Thanks WLad.

+1 for Ubiquiti Unifi. Install a POE Ethernet switch at your hub, and connect it to your ISP router. Turn off the WiFi in your ISP router, and let the Ubiquiti Access points create seamless coverage throughout your home.

Thanks WLad.

I'm hoping so, doing exactly this myself in the next couple of weeks to hopefully fix my parents WiFi for good 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

+1 for Ubiquiti Unifi. Install a POE Ethernet switch at your hub, and connect it to your ISP router. Turn off the WiFi in your ISP router, and let the Ubiquiti Access points create seamless coverage throughout your home.

+2 best way to go

Is there any issues using the m4's with sky Q boxes, I've purchased these for a neighbour and just noticed he has a main sky Q and 1 Q mini box.

Is there any issues using the m4's with sky Q boxes, I've purchased these for a neighbour and just noticed he has a main sky Q and 1 Q mini box.

Shouldn't be. If you can, wire them with ethernet to the mesh system and turn off the WiFi on both. Otherwise they'll create another network themselves which will hurt the m4s. Google how to completely turn it off.

• Advertisement

Shouldn't be. If you can, wire them with ethernet to the mesh system and turn off the WiFi on both. Otherwise they'll create another network themselves which will hurt the m4s. Google how to completely turn it off.

Thank you, will give it a go

Advertisement