Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this some sort of dolmen or passage tomb?

Options
  • 14-12-2019 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Found in a very remote location in the South East.

6pVVJef.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Found in a very remote location in the South East.

6pVVJef.jpg

Whereabouts is this?

Is it logged in the NMS database?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Whereabouts is this?

Is it logged in the NMS database?

I don't want to say the exact location because of my own privacy.

I was doing some cross country hiking.

It's off the beaten track, in an old derelict farmyard with abandoned house.

However the yard itself seems to be still in occasional use for sheep, so private property and I didn't want to be hanging around.

Thanks for letting me know about the NMS. I didn't know about this.

After looking just now, it doesn't appear to be logged or anything in the area.

Do you think I should send on the photos and location to the NMS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Do you think I should send on the photos and location to the NMS?

Would be an idea,
    They will give you details for the archaeologist in that area.
    Send the info with full coordinates and hopefully you have a new find. 😉

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

It’s more likely to be a corn stand. These were a traditional means of keeping the corn off the ground and away from unwanted visitors.

Prehistoric tombs have certain diagnostic features such as the arrangement of orthostats (the upright stones that support a capstone or roof) and other key features like blocking stones.

These key features are absent here. The ‘capstone’ has none of the substance of typical tomb capstones and the arrangement of orthostats is more typical of corn stands than tombs.

An interesting find nonetheless and worth reporting. The above is just my opinion.

• Advertisement

slowburner wrote: »
    It’s more likely to be a corn stand. These were a traditional means of keeping the corn off the ground and away from unwanted visitors.

Prehistoric tombs have certain diagnostic features such as the arrangement of orthostats (the upright stones that support a capstone or roof) and other key features like blocking stones.

These key features are absent here. The ‘capstone’ has none of the substance of typical tomb capstones and the arrangement of orthostats is more typical of corn stands than tombs.

An interesting find nonetheless and worth reporting. The above is just my opinion.

I half half a report filed and will get around to it in the coming week. They ask for a lot. Unfortunately I only have the 1 picture of this object in particular.

I kind of get the feeling like they won't be interested or will be very under resourced. At best i imagine they'd add it to the NMS database.

We'll see.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I half half a report filed and will get around to it in the coming week. They ask for a lot. Unfortunately I only have the 1 picture of this object in particular.

I kind of get the feeling like they won't be interested or will be very under resourced. At best i imagine they'd add it to the NMS database.

We'll see.
    Someone will visit.
    I’ve been thinking about this a little and it has some of the characteristics of a Linkardstown type burial. It might be more than a corn stand. The location (vague though it is) is right for this type.

Advertisement