Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sunstroke 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Deadly! I was at Dalymount in '94.

Is there likely to be campervan parking at this?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They have you caught by the balls

Buy tickets at the low price and hope the lineup improves or wait and see but then the ticket prices will be gone up

Have a room booked in the citywest for 2 nights for €258 or €129 for just the Saturday night

A euro 2020 game is on the Aviva the 15th June too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Buy tickets at the low price and hope the lineup improves or wait and see but then the ticket prices will be gone up
    that's if the price does go up at all! This is MCD and earlier this year they had early bird tickets for the dun laoghaire series of gigs and the tickets did not go up, presumably it depended on if they are selling well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So this is basically a new type of Oxegen festival, although the lineup is definitely more indie based than mainstream, the reason I say this is that Bitch Falcon posted it on Facebook and it said MCD Presents. This could also feck up sales for Body&Soul which happens the weekend after.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jaysus, what happened? I have almost no memory of getting back to Dublin, other than a vague memory of ambling around drunk and finding a bus

That gig was an organisational ****show from start to finish. I remember the chronic rain and lots of daytrippers who just about knew the words to some of Thunderstruck, at most.

There were mad queues to get out and get the buses back to Dublin. We went down some exit where the security had no idea what to do with the masses of people and were just holding everyone back behind the barriers until a solution to the disorder presented itself and people just kept funnelling into the tiny space and it was getting out of hand - people screaming and roaring, saying their friend had fainted etc, etc, - there wasn't a lot of breathing room.

Thankfully the only thing that happened was a barrier gave way and we all spilled out all over the place, but it was as dicey as fck for a while beforehand. And then there was the separate chaos of trying to find a bus, in pure every man for himself fashion.

Wasn't there a big stink about it on here too at the time?Lots - and I mean lots - of people complaining, wasn't it one of those that got this forum partly shut for a while, for fear of Boards getting sued?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lc180

According to Nialler 9 its a 3 stage festival.

Anyone want to do the math on potentially how many more bands could get added?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The styling of the poster is very similar to the Rock Am Ring/Rock Im Park stuff of the last few years. Deftones the only band at both that I can see from a quick look.

RATM? Possible surely.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Not a bad price imo but headliners seem meh

Very happy to see FNM headline.

If it's a real sunstroke, it's gonna be great. Was at the one in 94, where Therapy?, Helmet and pretty bizarrely (considering the rest of the lineup) Ice Cube were amazing! Poor Frank Black got an awful lot of stick that day.

The one in 95... I'm sure I still have bruises from the White Zomibie mosh. Insane stuff. I'd say I crowd surfed, oh, at least a billion times that day, getting a thump from security each time they dragged me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

So this is basically a new type of Oxegen festival, although the lineup is definitely more indie based than mainstream, the reason I say this is that Bitch Falcon posted it on Facebook and it said MCD Presents. This could also feck up sales for Body&Soul which happens the weekend after.
    Wouldn't it's a new Oxegen .

Wouldn't say it's indie based either, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Jofspring wrote: »
    The styling of the poster is very similar to the Rock Am Ring/Rock Im Park stuff of the last few years. Deftones the only band at both that I can see from a quick look.

A few of the bands are playing Hellfest the week after

Definitely not an "indie" festival.

I will give this some serious thought - as much as I fundamentally hate Punchestown - I would imagine they'll add more bands in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Would love to do this but I'm committed to working Body & Soul which happens the following weekend, too close, but feck me Faith No More and JATMC.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Got tickets for Download the same weekend, but will be interesting to see how this goes. The line up is certainly underwhelming even by a large metal festival's exhausted inventory's stretch to cover for two nights. Deftones are a cure for insomnia.

Fantasy scenario, here, but chances of it picking up some of Download's Sunday bands? System of a Down, Korn, Disturbed etc. If they nabbed System and Korn it'd turn this thing into quite the happening...

Deftones = cure for insomnia
    Korn, Disturbed = worth seeing
    Something has gone very ****ing wrong in the wiring in your brain, mate.

New type of Oxegen? Nope. Indie based? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Deftones = cure for insomnia
    Korn, Disturbed = worth seeing
    Something has gone very ****ing wrong in the wiring in your brain, mate.
    More a reflection on one acts downtempo nature and another set of acts more down and dirty, frenetic sets that still draw fairly big crowds of youths. A pitch to the possible variance of the festival.

Mind you come to think of it I find Korn bags of fun.

Carry on, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Helmet will be worth watching if they still have John Stainer.

Only downside to this is Rammstien are playing a week later. Iron Maiden too i think.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Def gonna pick up an early bird camping ticket anyways even if i just go over and back each night. If its gonna be 3 stages there are still plenty to come id say, didn't someone Disturbed are rumoured to playing an Irish show next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭kg703

The amount of gigs being announced in the last couple of weeks has reached ridiculousness at this point.... I already bought a ticket to rock im Park and I've bought tickets to slipknot, rammestein, santana, tenacious d and 21p.... I am just throwing my money around at this point.

I love faith no more and would have 100% bought tickets to this had it of been announced earlier but I'm hoping fnm get added to rock im Park instead...

Burty330 wrote: »
    Helmet will be worth watching if they still have John Stainer.

Only downside to this is Rammstien are playing a week later. Iron Maiden too i think.

Stainer hasn't drummed with them for donkey's years.

Saw him a few years ago with Battles and he is box office.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Stainer hasn't drummed with them for donkey's years.

Saw him a few years ago with Battles and he is box office.

Bummer.

FNM along with these bands are playing Hellfast in France.. Hopefully some get added to Sunstroke..

Judas Priest, Incubus, Korn, BABYMETAL, Deep Purple, The Offspring, Killing Joke, Social Distortion, Mastodon, Meshuggah, Sepultura, Body Count, and Baroness.

Opeth, Volbeat, Mayhem, Electric Wizard, Suicidal Tendencies, Down, Abbath, Mono, L7, OM, High on Fire, Pelican, Black Mountain, Elder, Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes, The Darkness, The Hu, At the Gates, The Black Dahlia Murder, Periphery, Alter Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Burty330 wrote: »
    FNM along with these bands are playing Hellfast in France.. Hopefully some get added to Sunstroke..

Judas Priest, Incubus, Korn, BABYMETAL, Deep Purple, The Offspring, Killing Joke, Social Distortion, Mastodon, Meshuggah, Sepultura, Body Count, and Baroness.

Opeth, Volbeat, Mayhem, Electric Wizard, Suicidal Tendencies, Down, Abbath, Mono, L7, OM, High on Fire, Pelican, Black Mountain, Elder, Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes, The Darkness, The Hu, At the Gates, The Black Dahlia Murder, Periphery, Alter Bridge.

Killing Joke, At the Gates and The Hu already there. If more bands are added, they'd at best be Academy sized one would assume.

The Darkness should play, was a great set in Cork last night

I'd like to see Therapy? added to the bill.

If it is a 3 stage affair, I could see Babymetal, the Offspring (Jesus, how old are they now? Noodles must have been in his late 40's at their height!) and hopefully bodycount there. Bodycount were deadly when they played in Crawdaddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Bodycount were deadly when they played in Crawdaddy

When was that? I didn't know they'd played here since the SFX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Made a YouTube playlist of most of the acts playing

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeRz7FhCW8y1ZpyUM9mJRfNdVqxjW3FVE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Considering the links to the original festival and the fact they are in Europe, RHCP could be an option for this also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Tool also need to announce summer plans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

s8n wrote: »
    Considering the links to the original festival and the fact they are in Europe, RHCP could be an option for this also

can't see anyone that big being added, you'd imagine FnM and Deftones are the headliners on either night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Pretty sure if FNM did a gig on their own in a Iveagh/Malahide/Trinity setting it would probably cost 50ish anyway.

So €170 to add in a decent lot of other bands - Hell, I'm raging I missed getting a ticket to The Hu - having a fun weekend with drinks and friends seems good to me.

I was going to do Download but with tickets, travel (possible Brexit - who knows) this could be a nicer option especially just driving up and down. I say some bands from Download will pop over also - two days and three stages needs some adding!

And its amazing to see Ireland get a proper metalish/rock festival - that alone is just really great!

Sure hope it is sunny now! :cool:

Advertisement