Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Mavic mini

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Anyone know of any stores with mini in stock. Seems to be out of stock everywhere. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Ah right I had this idea in my head it would come barreling back at 2meters and straight into the wall near where I took off, so as long as I have the height set high enough it'll come back at that height and hover down then to the landing spot.

Yip. If you are below your RTH height, it will go straight up to that height before returning home. If you are above the RTH height, it will just come straight back at that height, it won't descend to the set height before making its way back.
    How does it get on returning over water, does it treat it the same as land, was going to try getting some shots of surfers, I've flown it over water but I've always had sight of it.

It treats it exactly the same, however I'd turn off the downward facing sensors first before heading over water, especially of you aren't going to be flying too high. Water reflection can play havoc with the sensors at lower heights and you can go in the drink very easily if you don't turn them off first, just remember to turn them back on again when you are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭ozmo

Ah right I had this idea in my head it would come barreling back at 2meters and straight into the wall near where I took off, so as long as I have the height set high enough it'll come back at that height and hover down then to the landing spot.

Yes-it will go up to 60m and fly back- i set to 60m always.

except there is an exception- if its very close to you it will as you say go direct without rising up.

Also it doesn't take much wind to stop rth working- it wont use the more powerful sports mode.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

irishejit wrote:
    I think its set to 30m by default, but you can set it anything from 20m up to 500m.

Make sure it's never set over 120m though!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What happens at 120?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

What happens at 120?

The drone police come and kick down your door, steal your wife and kids and leave you with nothing but your Instagram drone feed for company.

120m is 400ft, the legal height you are allowed to fly

With the homepoint if it doesn't have a clear way back will it just crash into what ever is in it's way home.

Also- ive nerver actually seen one of my drones do this - but its supposed to first try retracing its steps- - ie. not direct - this unwinding would ensure the path home is clear- never seen it go anything but straight though.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Hi All, any Mavic Mini owners could give me some advice. I am thinking of buying the mini but I have a few concerns, The first one is the range how have people been finding it in built up areas as I live in a town, Not look to fly to far away but would like to get some nice aerial footage and snaps of the town.

Second is I live in a Blue Geo Zone and was wondering what impact that will have on me?

I am torn between the mini and the Fimi X8 2020 which is on pre order at banggood for €337 but that then soon adds up with a spare battery €70, Case €25 and Gimbel cover another €5 but there is no Fimi Refresh option like there is on the mini and obviously there is the warranty issue should anything go wrong down the line.

Overall,
    Dji Buy More Bundle + Refresh + SD Card costing me €554
    Fimi X8 2020 + Spare Battery + Case + Gimble Cover + SD Card = €471

Any thoughts or advice, this will be my first drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Second is I live in a Blue Geo Zone and was wondering what impact that will have on me?
    Any thoughts or advice, this will be my first drone.
    Blue zones require a request of an unlocking code from DJI. Your Mavic wont even take off otherwise.

If its a Blue zone because of a near by airport, legally you can't fly above 15m in their airspace anyway.

Blue zones require a request of an unlocking code from DJI. Your Mavic wont even take off otherwise.

If its a Blue zone because of a near by airport, legally you can't fly above 15m in their airspace anyway.

Whats involved in getting an unlocking code?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I am torn between the mini and the Fimi X8 2020 which is on pre order at banggood for €337 but that then soon adds up with a spare battery €70, Case €25 and Gimbel cover another €5 but there is no Fimi Refresh option like there is on the mini and obviously there is the warranty issue should anything go wrong down the line.

Although compact the Fimi is a far larger than the mavic mini and will fly better in wind.

tedpan wrote: »
    Although compact the Fimi is a far larger than the mavic mini and will fly better in wind.

Yeah if it came with refresh type scheme I'd think I'd go for it but wary of being a first time drone owner and crashing and also wannarty with banggood another big concern

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Whats involved in getting an unlocking code?
    Look up self unlocking.
    They are also time limited.

Look up self unlocking.
    They are also time limited.

Yes sorry I did a bit of research, a few seconds to self unlock and lasts for 72 hours not a big issue for me.

Anyone here have the mavic? you been happy with it so far?

Mavic 2 Air is maybe being released next week - another one to consider - a little more expensive - but if you are worried about bad signals - the Pros have no issues with this and the new Air 2 is supposed to be using the same OcuSync as pro and have longer battery life.
    I was going to get a mini but went with Air (1) for the signal reliability, stability and ability to fly in a fair amount of wind. Its still tiny to travel with.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Mavic 2 Air is maybe being released next week - another one to consider - a little more expensive - but if you are worried about bad signals - the Pros have no issues with this and the new Air 2 is supposed to be using the same OcuSync as pro and have longer battery life.
    I was going to get a mini but went with Air (1) for the signal reliability, stability and ability to fly in a fair amount of wind. Its still tiny to travel with.

Yeah rumour has it the air 2 is out tomorrow for €799 that's €300 more then the fly more Mavic mini, might be worth the upgrade if I end up really enjoying drone flying

My bad looks as though Apr 27th touted as date

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Yes sorry I did a bit of research, a few seconds to self unlock and lasts for 72 hours not a big issue for me.

I have the mavic mini. Only have it since mid march and the start of the lockdown so haven't had much chance to take it anywhere other than fly it near my house . I got the fly more combo and it is well worth the extra for the case and the batteries alone. Definitely need more than one battery.
    I'm really enjoying it. Camera quality is very good and it is easy to fly. You do have to pick your days for flying as it does not like wind. Regular wind warnings if you put it up to 30m or 40m.
    I had my eye on the FIMI X8 at the time and went with the mini because there was immediate availability. I have actually pre ordered the new FIMI X8 and I will see which one I get more use out of and may sell on the other one. I'm just concerned the mavic mini is not robust enough for Irish weather conditions and particularly the wind. It maybe just that little be too light.
    Range has also raised some concerns. I am getting weak signals at 400M in not a hugely built up area. Also being so small you lose line of sight very quickly on it.

Tweaky wrote: »
    I have the mavic mini. Only have it since mid march and the start of the lockdown so haven't had much chance to take it anywhere other than fly it near my house . I got the fly more combo and it is well worth the extra for the case and the batteries alone. Definitely need more than one battery.
    I'm really enjoying it. Camera quality is very good and it is easy to fly. You do have to pick your days for flying as it does not like wind. Regular wind warnings if you put it up to 30m or 40m.
    I had my eye on the FIMI X8 at the time and went with the mini because there was immediate availability. I have actually pre ordered the new FIMI X8 and I will see which one I get more use out of and may sell on the other one. I'm just concerned the mavic mini is not robust enough for Irish weather conditions and particularly the wind. It maybe just that little be too light.
    Range has also raised some concerns. I am getting weak signals at 400M in not a hugely built up area. Also being so small you lose line of sight very quickly on it.

Well took the plunge and got the mini fly more combo, got it from heliservices in Clare after speaking with a really nice helpful guy on the phone. Getting it tomorrow will update on my thoughts for those interested

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Well took the plunge and got the mini fly more combo, got it from heliservices in Clare after speaking with a really nice helpful guy on the phone. Getting it tomorrow will update on my thoughts for those interested

Enjoy it - it is great fun - The fly More combo is definitely worth it

Tweaky wrote: »
    Enjoy it - it is great fun - The fly More combo is definitely worth it

Well wow, this is the first proper non toy drone I have seen. The thing is amazing it is so so easy to use and immense fun. Sd card arriving tomorrow so looking forward to capturing some good footage. The fly more combo is essential in my opinion as I'd want a decent case and spare batteries and the charging dock is great and will even charge the remote via the external USB port. Overall be happy with the purchase, also go the dji refresh for piece of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Took the plunge myself today. I had been saving moving for a golf trip to spain over easter that didn't happen obviously. Money had been burning a hole in my savings account!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D
    I'm from Galway so bought the mavic mini combo from

https://www.droneworksireland.ie/

went with the years insurance too. I'll let ye know how i get on.
    #donttellthewife

fearruanua wrote: »
    Took the plunge myself today. I had been saving moving for a golf trip to spain over easter that didn't happen obviously. Money had been burning a hole in my savings account!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D
    I'm from Galway so bought the mavic mini combo from

https://www.droneworksireland.ie/

went with the years insurance too. I'll let ye know how i get on.
    #donttellthewife

Excellent congrats its so much much and the camera is excellent. Was going to go with droneworks too seems like a good company but kept my money locally in clare with https://www.modelheliservices.com/ can't fault them.

Went with the refresh package too. Wish the weather would pick up now though rain yesterday high winds today :(

Excellent congrats its so much much and the camera is excellent. Was going to go with droneworks too seems like a good company but kept my money locally in clare with https://www.modelheliservices.com/ can't fault them.

Went with the refresh package too. Wish the weather would pick up now though rain yesterday high winds today :(

Weather is promised to pick up again next week so fingers crossed we get a few nice, sunny and calm evenings to test it out!!!!

Weather is promised to pick up again next week so fingers crossed we get a few nice, sunny and calm evenings to test it out!!!!

Got out yesterday evening at sunset and got some really nice footage, Cannot wait to bring it farther afield and bring it out the cwest coast and around some parts of Galway/Mayo.

The Dji fly app editing software is really good to for a built in free app

DPD received the drone from the seller on the 1st of May(Yesterday week) and still no sign. Now i know there is a delay with courier deliveries but 8 days doesn't sound right does it? Can't get anyone to answer in DPD

:mad::mad:

I would contact the seller directly, its his responsibility to chase up DPD. He would speak with them daily id say for new deliveries etc.

The Dji fly app editing software is really good to for a built in free app

Yes but just remember by default its working from the video feed the phone received - which can be as low as 720p and can contain glitches - not the full high resolution file thats on the sd card in the drone. It usually looks fine - but there is much higher quality video on the drone if you are uploading to youtube etc.
    There is an option to download HD images from drone - but it can take ages for longer flights.

“Roll it back”

I would contact the seller directly, its his responsibility to chase up DPD. He would speak with them daily id say for new deliveries etc.

All good. I changed the delivery address to a nearby shop that's a drop off point and it seemed to have kick started the delivery. So picked up the drone on Saturday evening. It was actually fairly windy so decided against going outside for its maiden flight, so myself and the brother in law were just flying around the kitchen with it when my wife arrives in and says "Oh are ye not going outside with it??" So out we went. :D:D:D

Battery wasn't full after all the flying around inside in the kitchen and we took off with the wind. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Flew down over my parents house which is about 300m away. Messing around there for a while. Battery was just below 30 when we decided it was best to come home. But the wind was fairly gusting at this stage so she was never getting home. To make matters worse a friend of mine called in the middle of trying to get it home so the screen went off. Panic!!!! When we managed to get phonecall cancelled the drone had done an emergency self landing job. GPS was a great job though. Found it way off down in a field below my parents house. Ah stop. Some craic.

Battery wasn't full after all the flying around inside in the kitchen and we took off with the wind. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    ...the wind was fairly gusting at this stage so she was never getting home. ... When we managed to get phonecall cancelled the drone had done an emergency self landing job..

Very lucky it didnt crash badly on its first flight! :O

Some pointers you might find useful-

-Only fly on full battery
    -If you get wind warning- fly Lower, there is less wind closer to ground
    -if its really gusty and it not coming back , enter Sports mode, you get much more power to fight wind
    do *not* press Return to Home when its caught the wind, it will fly higher into wind and will not have sports mode power.
    -if possible fly out into wind - so when you fly home you will not be fighting wind on a low battery. You can tell its into wind when speed is lower than normal.
    - if you have to land (or it lands) there is a find my drone option in the app to tell you where the drone landed

Good luck with new drone!

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

ozmo wrote: »
    Very lucky it didnt crash badly on its first flight! :O

Some pointers you might find useful-

-Only fly on full battery
    -If you get wind warning- fly Lower, there is less wind closer to ground
    -if its really gusty and it not coming back , enter Sports mode, you get much more power to fight wind
    do *not* press Return to Home when its caught the wind, it will fly higher into wind and will not have sports mode power.
    -if possible fly out into wind - so when you fly home you will not be fighting wind on a low battery. You can tell its into wind when speed is lower than normal.
    - if you have to land (or it lands) there is a find my drone option in the app to tell you where the drone landed

Good luck with new drone!

Absolutely poxed ozmo it didn't crash into a wall. it was very close to one.
    Thanks a million for the tips.
    Sad thing is that i had heard most of what you mentioned on you tube tutorials and clips but it all went out the window on my first flight. Lesson learned i suppose and lucky still have it.

Advertisement