Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Mavic mini

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm buying the Mavic mini to, however where in Dublin can you fly a drone without being told off ? I have a tello drone right now and I have been told off a few times and the tello is tiny :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

mondeo wrote: »
    I'm buying the Mavic mini to, however where in Dublin can you fly a drone without being told off ? I have a tello drone right now and I have been told off a few times and the tello is tiny :/

Told off by who, what did they say???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Told off by who, what did they say???

and what was your reply ?:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Has anyone got any footage to share from their mavic mini?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

so advertised 4km range and really 600m ,you would not really expect 4km but that is false advertising surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

so advertised 4km range and really 600m ,you would not really expect 4km but that is false advertising surely

They've been tested far longer than 600 m

Don't take one person's suggestion as gospel.

It's the internet... Go research

listermint wrote: »
    They've been tested far longer than 600 m

Don't take one person's suggestion as gospel.

It's the internet... Go research

thanks, tried one out today, went 1480 meters , speed reading went very slow and I chickened out and brought it back, it wasn't showing bad signal though ,might be braver the next time

thanks, tried one out today, went 1480 meters , speed reading went very slow and I chickened out and brought it back, it wasn't showing bad signal though ,might be braver the next time

1480 metres is huge without losing connection. Were you flying out to sea?

across water to an island, speed started flashing 0 so I brought it back

flashed poor signal at 1000 but ok after that

• Advertisement

flashed poor signal at 1000 but ok after that

Nice, can you share the video please? Would love to see unedited video quality. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dirtydancing

tedpan wrote: »
    Nice, can you share the video please? Would love to see unedited video quality. Cheers

Here's one we. tl/t-nnRViA0QOL

Wouldn't let me post a link, so remove space there

Wouldn't let me post a link, so remove space there

Very nice, it looks fantastic for the price, very smooth too! Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dirtydancing

Lighting hasn't been great ever since I got the drone, mostly grey and dark, which makes the picture grainy with weird color temperature. Can't wait to try it out in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

mondeo wrote: »

I would love to know as well and dont start with 1st find a friendly farmer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did anyone run into a problem trying to pair the controller and mini for the first time, I can't get them to recognize each other, everything seems fine with the controller and phone.
    When I get to the screen for pairing with the 60 second count down timer it says hold the power button on the drone for 4 seconds until you hear a beep. I don't get any beep just 4 flashing white lights which go off after a few seconds.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong. It's like when I press the power button on the drone it's showing me battery level but not switching on or going into pairing mode.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong. It's like when I press the power button on the drone it's showing me battery level but not switching on or going into pairing mode.

Usually with DJI it's a double tap. So a quick press, then another press and hold.

tedpan wrote: »
    Usually with DJI it's a double tap. So a quick press, then another press and hold.

Worked first go this morning with the double tap and hold.

Worked first go this morning with the double tap and hold.

Nice one! Hopefully you'll get some spectacular shots soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 davidclarkdsi

Flying the Mavic Mini in the cold weather might not be the best idea, at least not without some prep beforehand - I found a YT vid where they reckoned you should allow your drone to acclimatise outside before popping in a warmed (body heat temp) battery.

I’m posting this as a warning to others as I thought I’d get some lovely snow shots this morning but after a (too?) quick take off (with the drone simply ascending straight up) it suddenly took off on a jaunt of it’s own.

There was no wind (tops of trees at the same height were not moving) and I’ve checked the flight log - the only stick in use was the upward one to increase altitude (followed rapidly by the downward one to get it to reduce altitude when it started going astray).

At one stage in the uncontrolled part of the flight the unit hit max speed (55km), I seriously thought it was a goner but somehow it regained its composure (luckily I live in a fairly open area) and as soon as it stabilised I hit return to home.

It was a hairy 20 secs & up until this flight I’ve never had a problem with the Mini and I’m attributing this to the fact that I’ve only ever flown it on calm, reasonably warm (not near zero) days.

Someone said to ‘treat it like the little bird that it is’ & from here on in that’s going to be my intention.

• Advertisement

I had it out early morning the other day, snow/ice on the ground and didn't have any problems, I wasn't in sport mode though. What I did learn was to manually lock in the exposure to stop the colour on the video changing. Messed up some lovely video by not doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Flying the Mavic Mini in the cold weather might not be the best idea, at least not without some prep beforehand - I found a YT vid where they reckoned you should allow your drone to acclimatise outside before popping in a warmed (body heat temp) battery.

I’m posting this as a warning to others as I thought I’d get some lovely snow shots this morning but after a (too?) quick take off (with the drone simply ascending straight up) it suddenly took off on a jaunt of it’s own.

There was no wind (tops of trees at the same height were not moving) and I’ve checked the flight log - the only stick in use was the upward one to increase altitude (followed rapidly by the downward one to get it to reduce altitude when it started going astray).

At one stage in the uncontrolled part of the flight the unit hit max speed (55km), I seriously thought it was a goner but somehow it regained its composure (luckily I live in a fairly open area) and as soon as it stabilised I hit return to home.

It was a hairy 20 secs & up until this flight I’ve never had a problem with the Mini and I’m attributing this to the fact that I’ve only ever flown it on calm, reasonably warm (not near zero) days.

Someone said to ‘treat it like the little bird that it is’ & from here on in that’s going to be my intention.

What type of area were you flying in? It sounds more like a GPS issue than something to do with the cold. In fact too cold can also be a problem in actually getting a drone to start at all.

You should still allow some time to acclimatise though, as condensation on the lens changing from a warm to cold environment can end up wrecking shots, especially if you are using an ND filter, as the condensation can build up on the inside of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 davidclarkdsi

irishejit wrote: »
    What type of area were you flying in? It sounds more like a GPS issue than something to do with the cold. In fact too cold can also be a problem in actually getting a drone to start at all.

You should still allow some time to acclimatise though, as condensation on the lens changing from a warm to cold environment can end up wrecking shots, especially if you are using an ND filter, as the condensation can build up on the inside of them.

It was fairly open fields all round me but with a house to the rear, I’ve looked at the logs again & the home point was updated a few seconds into the flight so maybe GPS was an issue, would it really be enough to cause it to take off on its own & hit max speed (it wasn’t in Sports mode by the way)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭ozmo

...the home point was updated a few seconds into the flight....

If it lost signal it was probably heading off to he last place you flew it from... or to dji China :) .. Its really important to lock home position in before take off so as to not loose the drone...

“Roll it back”

Yip, as Ozmo says don't take off until you have a home point recorded.

DJI has traditionally used 6 satellites for a good GPS home fix from the early Phantom days, but personally I wait until I have at least 11 or 12 before I take off, (though I regularly get 16-18) it really should only take a couple of more seconds waiting on the ground.

Don't forget you also have the option to manually set your home point to be sure to be sure!

With the homepoint if it doesn't have a clear way back will it just crash into what ever is in it's way home.

With the homepoint if it doesn't have a clear way back will it just crash into what ever is in it's way home.

You can amend the RTH height in the DJI Go app however.

It's one of those checks you should get into the habit of doing before you take off, and set the RTH height to something appropriate to where you are flying.

I think its set to 30m by default, but you can set it anything from 20m up to 500m.

Ah right I had this idea in my head it would come barreling back at 2meters and straight into the wall near where I took off, so as long as I have the height set high enough it'll come back at that height and hover down then to the landing spot.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Ah right I had this idea in my head it would come barreling back at 2meters and straight into the wall near where I took off, so as long as I have the height set high enough it'll come back at that height and hover down then to the landing spot.

Yep, thats how it works

• Advertisement

How does it get on returning over water, does it treat it the same as land, was going to try getting some shots of surfers, I've flown it over water but I've always had sight of it.

Advertisement