Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

I remember some years ago that England were chasing down a smallish target in Pakistan, and Pakistan were indulging in time-wasting tactics.

Steve Bucknor, a very strong umpire, refused to concede that the light was too bad until England had won. It finished in near darkness.

I wonder if the umpires today will do similar?

13 for 0 off 10 balls as I write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

nompere wrote: »
    I remember some years ago that England were chasing down a smallish target in Pakistan, and Pakistan were indulging in time-wasting tactics.

Steve Bucknor, a very strong umpire, refused to concede that the light was too bad until England had won. It finished in near darkness.

13 for 0 off 10 balls as I write.

Nassar Hussein was captain, or playing at least(I think?) . Pitch dark by the end.

Nassar Hussein was captain, or playing at least(I think?) . Pitch dark by the end.

Indeed - now linked on the Cricinfo commentary: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/63901.html

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

nompere wrote: »

Rules in those days were different and the batsmen could ask to stay on (although the fielding team could and indeed did make representations to go off)

Presume the umpires have taken light measurements on previous days - if so they already have a benchmank they should observe

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Although at this rate Pakistan could be pleading to stay on....

35-3

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Rules in those days were different and the batsmen could ask to stay on (although the fielding team could and indeed did make representations to go off)

Presume the umpires have taken light measurements on previous days - if so they already have a benchmank they should observe

That game was played under the 2000 code of laws, and the state of the light was in the sole discretion of the umpires, and neither side had any say in the matter. It's the same now. Bucknor was showing his disapproval of the time-wasting tactics.

But yes - they do have a benchmark (from yesterday) and neither of them is another Steve Bucknor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wow 4 days of boredom practically and now this. Amazing. I feel unless England can start hitting boundaries now quickly the light and these delaying tactics of Pakistan will beat them. You definitely wint see any Steve Bucknor like umpiring, as earlier said the rules are different now which in a way is a shame.

Knew it'd be a draw, never in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Beasty wrote: »

Exactly. I understand the annoyance but their has to be consistency.

The other issue, while England understandably were desperate to keep playing, after the Hughes tragedy, umpires are right not to be taking chances. Riaz is probably the fastest bowler in the world, wouldn't want to be facing his thunderbolts in the dark.

Thanks to a traditional English batting collapse in the first innings, they are in a tough battle now to save the test, 7 wickets for 30 odd runs. Classic England.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Afghanistan showing Ireland how it's done, won the 50 over series 3-2 and also the first T20, what effect does this have on the rankings?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Big third day in Sharjah..England out for only 306 having looked well placed to get a big lead and Pakistan 146/3 in 2nd innings

Pakistan lead approaching 250, 7 wickets down.

England set 284 to win, tough enough batting last on that wicket I'd think.

England 60 for 6, fair to say they are highly likely to lose the series 2 nil.

Meanwhile in first Aus v NZ Test, hosts are 300 plus for 2. Warner made 163.

All over, England lose by 127 runs. Shocking in the field yesterday, pretty crap with the bat today. Got what they deserved.

18 collapses from 25 tests according to Boycott. Cook and Anderson are in great form though

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markbrop

England were absolutely dire in this series. I'm pretty sure they would have lost 3-0 if Yasir Shah had played in the First Test. The continued omission of Kevin Pietersen is beyond a joke. Did anyone see his brilliant hundred in the SA Ram Slam.

Some interesting cricket going on at the moment, India -SA, the Aussies hammering the NZers and England finally fighting back against Pakistan

Mitchell Johnson is retiring from International Cricket after the current test. Some bowler on his day, one of the best modern day quicks, also prone to some stinkers though, hence the song "He bowls to the left etc."

• Advertisement

Compelling to watch, when bad, really bad, but when on, absolutely unplayable.

The Ashes in 2013 he was absolutely unplayable, but for me I will always love those 2 series in South Africa where he was so on.

First series he put Smith and Kallis in hospital ffs. :eek:

His spell at the centurion in 2014 was one of the most remarkable of this era. South Africa's fortress and they were slaughtered. That day he sped up the retirement of Smith considerably, and owned the top order.

http://tune.pk/video/2340088/mitchell-johnson-768-vs-south-africa-2014-hd

1.40, I mean seriously, that ball to Faf is absolute sex, how the hell do you play that? Poor Mc Claren and Robbie P towards the end got decimated by him.

Although ABDV the absolute freak that he is, was somehow able to play him as if it was a medium pacer.:P

Struggled in England and Asia which means he won't ever be considered an ATG, but still a big loss for the neutrals, especially as he was one of the few Aussie players that actually seemed like a decent bloke.:(

Good series win for England. Buttler has been superb and Roy got his first ton today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Mixed reaction to the Nagpur wicket!!!!!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-south-africa-2015-16/content/story/944207.html

Agree with Jimmy Neesham though......I'd rather watch this than the 550 plays 650 farce that happened in Perth

Chance for ABD to transcend to another level if he can produce something special in Nagpur tomorrow

2 teams who are poor against spin collapsing on a turning wicket, the outrage is utterly absurd.

Nobody blamed the conditions when Australia were blown away in England, instead focusing on the batsmen. :pac:

Didn't watch live but reading reports it looks like Nigel Long had a shocker as 3rd umpire in Aus NZ test. Clear hot spot on Nathan Lyons bat, who saw the hot spot on big screen replay and was virtually back to the pavilion, when Long told on field umpire to call it not out. Aussies added another 100 odd after that to get out of big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Incredible super over there between England and Pakistan. Chris Jordan bowled a quality over and limited Pakistan to 3-1. Morgan and Buttler took a tense 5 balls to get the required 4 runs.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Incredible super over there between England and Pakistan. Chris Jordan bowled a quality over and limited Pakistan to 3-1. Morgan and Buttler took a tense 5 balls to get the required 4 runs.

Fantastic, and I was moaning away about giving the over to Jordan to bowl. Good 3 nil series win for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Another hammering looms for SA in the 4th Test

So much for their away record in recent years ..... This must be the worst team to tour India in the last decade or so ..... Even worse than the Aussie side from a few years ago

Despite this don't think India can take anything more from the series than the statistic of another home series win on spinning dust bowls

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markbrop

Yes another very poor effort from SA. Vilas looks terrible. How on earth is he getting his game ahead of De Kock? The openers dont look any great shakes either. They may have KP in two years time though!

• Advertisement

Hopefully we get some more whining about this pitch as well. :pac:

We won't be seeing Vilas again unless an injury crisis. South Africa have not shown much fight which is shocking when you consider their overseas record. Amla and Faf both have stunk the place out and the rest bar AB not good enough whatsoever.

Advertisement