Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I reckon Bruce could play Croke Park. I agree too that Croker isn't exactly the best place for a gig in terms of sound, but it seems likely mainly because he's never played there before and he would be able to sell it out.

Not sure if the number of gigs makes a difference though. In 2009 there was four concerts, so I could see Bruce being added as a 4th Croker gig for next year.

I'm only concerned about where this leaves Oxegen seen as how they've lost yet another possibility for a massive headliner. RHCP were a bad enough loss as it was, add that to the fact Coldplay and Foos played last year and are unlikely to return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Celeste Kind Memorial

Bruce would never be lined up to play that dump Oxegen, completely not his fan base

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I wouldn't mind seeing Bruce at Croker. It might be strange without Clarence (RIP) there but I guess they've decided the show must go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭part time punk

nm wrote: »
    Bruce would never be lined up to play that dump Oxegen, completely not his fan base

Agree with you that he's unlikely to play Oxygen. But one of the great things about a Bruce concert is that you get all sorts at it as there's no one stereotypical Bruce fan base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 henrik51

I can confirm it is Croke Park, details will be announced soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

If the Croke Park rumour is true, I'd be delighted.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hopefully whenever he plays i hope we get a great line up on the day so we might get this happening again

That'd be nice but if he plays Croker, it'd probably be him and his band with no support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PearlJam

Bruce to play Roskilde festival in Denmark?

http://gaffa.dk/nyhed/54904

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Hopefully whenever he plays i hope we get a great line up on the day so we might get this happening again

I was at that, it was brilliant! A good line-up ahead of the main act would be a fantastic event :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭CiaranK

The only thing about Croker would be pit access would be a lot harder to get. Normally you are not allowed to Que until 4pm, Last time in the RDS I got in the Que around 4 and missed the pit :( I wouldn't want to miss it this time around.

Also on Radio Nova today it was mentioned it could be Slane. It was early and I was still kind of asleep so I don't really know what it was about but he said if you gamble put money on him for Slane. [Also he said it won't be Oxegen cause that will likely be Stone Roses and Katy Perry, Thanks god] I'd much prefer Croker to Slane, But I think I'd rather 2 gigs in the RDS instead of one in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭part time punk

IIRC Bruce never has a support act because with the E street band he'll play for about 2 and a half to 3 hours. No need for any support.:)

Edit - can't see the youtube vid so this may make no sense

Just something to keep us going while we wait for the official details, Bruce recently at Stings birthday in great form

EDIT - I've finally cracked how to embed videos :P Only taken me a few years

Sorry for all the posts.

I was looking at when the gigs in Croker are and Westlife is 22/23rd of June and The Chillis are the 26th, the next Match is on the 1st of July so I''m guessing it could be just after or just before the England gigs [Which are on the 21st, 22nd and 24th of June] In 03/06/09 he played straight after the England dates, he only played before them in 2008 I think. I think He'll play around the 28th maybe if it's after England or if it is before England around the 19th. Looking at when both Croke Park and Bruce are free I'd put my money on the 19th of June.

CiaranK wrote: »
    Sorry for all the posts.

I was looking at when the gigs in Croker are and Westlife is 22/23rd of June and The Chillis are the 26th, the next Match is on the 1st of July so I''m guessing it could be just after or just before the England gigs [Which are on the 21st, 22nd and 24th of June] In 03/06/09 he played straight after the England dates, he only played before them in 2008 I think. I think He'll play around the 28th maybe if it's after England or if it is before England around the 19th. Looking at when both Croke Park and Bruce are free I'd put my money on the 19th of June.

That would probably explain why they haven't announced or finalised any dates yet, Euro 2012 would still be on in late June. Although he's playing 3 dates in late June in England so looking at both schedules, English football/Bruce fans would hope that they make it into the 23rd June 1/4 final if they make it into the 1/4 finals at all.

stinkle wrote: »
    I was at that, it was brilliant! A good line-up ahead of the main act would be a fantastic event :)

I hate you , I remember in 2009 he was playing the RDS the same weekend as Oxegen but The Gaslight Anthem were playing Oxegen so i was thinking maybe he would pop down for a quick choon . Although im glad he didnt because i was working with my friends band on the IMRO stage while Gaslight Anthem were on.
    IIRC Bruce never has a support act because with the E street band he'll play for about 2 and a half to 3 hours. No need for any support.:)

Edit - can't see the youtube vid so this may make no sense

Unless they make it something like Hard Rock Calling when Dave Matheews Band , James Morrison and Gaslight anthem

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

The only thing about Croker would be pit access would be a lot harder to get. Normally you are not allowed to Que until 4pm, Last time in the RDS I got in the Que around 4 and missed the pit :( I wouldn't want to miss it this time around.

So the GA/Pit que, people only start to line up come 4pm?. I would have thought it would be like the last few shows, you get a number and then you can come back when the roll is called, generally it's on the hour every hour till 90 minutes or so before the gig is due to start, and it stops people lining up for hours, it allows people to go to the shops etc...

Cremated wrote: »
    So the GA/Pit que, people only start to line up come 4pm?. I would have thought it would be like the last few shows, you get a number and then you can come back when the roll is called, generally it's on the hour every hour till 90 minutes or so before the gig is due to start, and it stops people lining up for hours, it allows people to go to the shops etc...

Because Croke Park is surrounded by houses they don't allow people going to the gig to wait outside the gates until after 4pm because there is not enough room in the area I think. It is too disruptive to the roads around.

Also how does the roll call work? Do you give your name to someone?

Because Croke Park is surrounded by houses they don't allow people going to the gig to wait outside the gates until after 4pm because there is not enough room in the area I think. It is too disruptive to the roads around.

Also how does the roll call work? Do you give your name to someone?

When you arrive there you ask one of the people with the clipboards for a number, they then write it on your hand and mark you down, and then tell you to go away for a while but be back in your spot in the que at 3/4/5/6/7pm.

There is generally a long line with sections dividing it, so first 1-100 go in the first section and then the 101-200 go into the second section and so on,

it would make sense this is the way they do it, Bruce fans are different to any other group of fans when it comes to wanting the pit access...

Cremated wrote: »
    When you arrive there you ask one of the people with the clipboards for a number, they then write it on your hand and mark you down, and then tell you to go away for a while but be back in your spot in the que at 3/4/5/6/7pm.

There is generally a long line with sections dividing it, so first 1-100 go in the first section and then the 101-200 go into the second section and so on,

it would make sense this is the way they do it, Bruce fans are different to any other group of fans when it comes to wanting the pit access...

Right, Thats cool. Went I went in 09 there seemed to be mass confusion of how to get passes. I was being directed to different people and nobody seemed to know what was going on. I was annoyed about it, It just seemed unorganised. I just stood in the que then and ended up not getting in the pit. Obviously it is very organised but I just didn't know :L I'll be better prepared the next time so. Cheers :)

• Advertisement

I think the system their using now is a new system. I think in 09 it was a system of get in the line wait there and hopefully someone doesn't skip, and if you need to leave the line you might lose your spot.

This is more to stop people waiting in a line outside the venue for 1/2/3 days, and once you comeback for the roll call then you will be guaranteed your place in the pit...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yogicolly

frankly the system for the pit the springsteen fans use is terrible. It causes so much confusion and hassle for everyone and it is not offically sanctioned by aiken as far as I know.

every springsteen gig is the same whether or not its the rds or the point. basically hardcore fans travel over to countries and try dictate how the pit system works against the advise of security. they basically give you a number on your hand and the idea is that if you need to leave the queue you dont lose your spot..which in theory is fair enough but what actually happens is people get their numbers and leave the queue for most of they day and turn up right before gates open and try skip the queue to their place according to their number, that would be again fine if everybody left and came back but what happens is,numbers of people people are unaware of the fans numbering system and spend few hours queueing without a number and find loads of people trying to skip past them and it always always ends in arguments. this happened at the point for the seeger sessions and aiken organisers told the crowd this was not offical and if you did not want to let people hop in then you dont have to.

08 in the rds was the worst though, they literally passed a marker around and let people write their own number on their hands, of course you can guess everyone had a low number by the time gates opened, so stupid....

ive seen springsteen in the double figures, in numerous countries around the world..its always the same story with sometimes even the same people doing it, if hes doing multiple nights at a venue its not unheard of to see them queue up after the first show and start the system again for tomorrow and head of back to the hotel safe in the knowledge their "system" will hold their place up the front the next night...

hope its croker...with a gold circle to sort this crap out..also last few times U2 have played croker they take the fans inside the grounds and queue them up in rows of barriers...always works excellent and fair...and of course if some needs food/toilet etc nobody has a problem them leaving and coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

JJ wrote: »
    That would probably explain why they haven't announced or finalised any dates yet, Euro 2012 would still be on in late June. Although he's playing 3 dates in late June in England so looking at both schedules, English football/Bruce fans would hope that they make it into the 23rd June 1/4 final if they make it into the 1/4 finals at all.

Ju;y 15th seems to be a free weekend so if it's croker my money is on the Thurs or Fri before Hyde park

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Are you saying that these fans dictate and determine the que ing system at Bruce gigs??
    Writing numbers on hands comes purely from these fans?Surely the official security at the gigs have frequently told them to go F**k themselves?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

A very nice combination but it's kind of embarassing the way Bruce can't remember the words!

trackguy wrote: »
    A very nice combination but it's kind of embarassing the way Bruce can't remember the words!

I doubt it was rehearesed at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

I doubt it was rehearesed at all

Ah yeah but come on! At least get the words of the chorus sorted!

Will defo be going to see Bruce - Have seen him 5 times and looking forward to making it 6.

Very interested to hear the new album too.

Just had a look at Jungleland on youtube - the Big Man will be sorely missed. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Celeste Kind Memorial

yogicolly wrote: »
    hope its croker...with a gold circle

This

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭_Lola_

yogicolly wrote: »
    hope its croker...with a gold circle to sort this crap out..also last few times U2 have played croker they take the fans inside the grounds and queue them up in rows of barriers...always works excellent and fair...and of course if some needs food/toilet etc nobody has a problem them leaving and coming back.

Yep, I was there in 2009 and that system worked just fine. Perfectly, if I may say.

And we have a new date.
    Lisabon, Portugal - June 3rd
    http://rockinriolisboa.sapo.pt/noticias/bruce-springsteen--the-e-street-band-confirmados-para-o-palco-mundo-do-rock-in-rio-lisboa-2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

stories.BSPRING_WEB2012nsp_20080.jpgBRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & THE E STREET BAND, 17th July 2012, RDS Arena, DUBLIN. Tickets: 96.00 Euros & 86.00 Euros. Tickets go on sale next Thursday, 1st December at 9.00am from www.ticketmaster.ie & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide. 0818 719 300 - Republic of Ireland customers 0844 277 4455 - Northern Ireland customers 00353 1 456 9569 - International customers. www.brucespringsteen.net

:D:D:D:D

Advertisement