Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The compost heap - off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Possibly a stupid question - are grass trimmer spools generic? I have a Black and Decker grass trimmer which has just run of line for the 1st time and I didn't have the foresight to buy more before it. Do I need to buy a black and decker replacement spool or can I buy a generic replacement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Possibly a stupid question - are grass trimmer spools generic? I have a Black and Decker grass trimmer which has just run of line for the 1st time and I didn't have the foresight to buy more before it. Do I need to buy a black and decker replacement spool or can I buy a generic replacement?

The common denominator is the thickness. More powerful strimmers will have a thicker line. Provided you know the model you can look up and find what diameter to buy.

You can buy a prefilled cassette for some strimmer heads, just buying the line and winding it yourself should be cheaper.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    The common denominator is the thickness. More powerful strimmers will have a thicker line. Provided you know the model you can look up and find what diameter to buy.

You can buy a prefilled cassette for some strimmer heads, just buying the line and winding it yourself should be cheaper.

Thanks - that's very helpful. Bought some there.

Another question that didn't really feel like it deserved it's own thread. We've an area of our front garden (our whole garden really, but that's for another day) that was overgrown with nettles and weeds. I trimmed it back with said strimmers last week and then trimmed it shorter again this evening. What's the best approach to try turn this into a little lawn? Are we best off getting it dug up completely and topsoil over or would it ever regrow as lawn with frequent cutting and some weed killing products?

Here it is for reference. Shorter bit was trimmed back again today until line ran out on strimmers.

IMG-20200526-185451.jpg

Just keep cutting with a lawn mower. Don't cut too close on most mowers the middle setting (of 5) is about right. I'm looking out over a yard that was just quarry rubble (the quarry is across the road) and it took about two seasons for that to become mostly grass now another 10 years on it looks like a lawn.

If its level and not full of stones it shouldn't take too long to go reasonably green. You can always rotovate and reseed later if it doesn't work out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

be careful with strimmers. apparently hedgehog rescue dublin are having their busiest summer ever because of people having too much time to strim their garden, they've had some horrifically badly injured hogs, many too far gone to save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd spend the summer mowing it, it's one of the best ways to improve a lawn. Set about three inches and don't cut too often, leave the cuttings on the lawn. It's good nitrogen. The act of chopping the blades creates better stronger grass which will start to crowd out weeds and the like. Come the autumn see what shape it's in.

Thanks folks - over to the lawnmower thread with me so then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was out in the garden last night showing friends the progress.
    I am moving to the back give Eden method with wood chips
    The soil with no chips was bone dry after the rain we had last week.
    When I moved some wood chips the soil underneath was soaked. The wood chips are retaining moisture.

Rain! :D Looks like the south and east which so needs it will finally get a decent splash.

• Advertisement

Rain! :D Looks like the south and east which so needs it will finally get a decent splash.

What forecast are you looking at? All I can see for our area of West Waterford is a few millimetres.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

6mm forecast for dublin over the next 12 hours or so. looks like a bunch of interspersed heavy showers coming in from the northwest.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    What forecast are you looking at? All I can see for our area of West Waterford is a few millimetres.

Looks like Friday evening and Saturday morning will be pretty wet with a band to the south pushing up

Looks like Friday evening and Saturday morning will be pretty wet with a band to the south pushing up

Did this happen last night? I can't tell!

Did this happen last night? I can't tell!

Not enough to make the dog wet (silly bugger stays outside unless its pouring down - he does have a dry kennel).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

David Attenborough had a great line, about animal life living near an inhospitable deep ocean volcanic vent, that is basically 'life just wants to be'. I'm reminded of it every time a spud sprouts in my compost bin, and when I see stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

where's the sun?? none of my fruit is ripening

My tomatoes have stalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

seriously though, it's like we've been under a blanket of cloud for the past fortnight

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    seriously though, it's like we've been under a blanket of cloud for the past fortnight

Muggy here on the south coast today but we have had some good sun in the last couple of weeks but not enough rain. There are stories from people around the area of massive downpours in random locations but that still leaves massive areas with little or no rain. Hoping today might end that forecast is giving 10 mm over the next twelve hours but I believe it when I see it.

This weather! Potatoes taken another battering in the wind and rain on the longest day! Still not flowering either.

Obviously no one here would be so stupid as to sow something of unknown/unexpected origin but plenty would.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/aug/01/mystery-seed-parcels-world-biosecurity-china-uk-us
    “I haven’t got a clue what they are, so there’s no way,” says Goward firmly. “I wouldn’t ever plant something that I didn’t know the origins of.”

Goward’s mystery seeds are among potentially thousands of shipments reported this week in the US, Canada, New Zealand and Europe, including about 100 cases in the UK. The packages have sparked biosecurity concerns and international investigations into their origins.

On Tuesday, US agriculture officials issued warnings about the spate of “suspicious, unsolicited” seeds, reported in more than a dozen states, apparently sent from China.

Florida has recorded more than 630 instances, with one man claiming to have received three shipments in a week. A woman in Texas said she had received seeds in April and planted them, mistaking them for a gift – but with no results.

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has asked recipients not to plant the seeds as it works with Customs and Border Protection and federal agencies to uncover their source. In the UK, the Animal and Plant Health Agency (Apha) of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs is investigating reports of similar shipments across the country

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Unsettling.

This, however, is the best bit:
    Gerard Clover, head of plant health at the Royal Horticultural Society

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I saw someone in my area selling crocosmia bulbs. Is that not some kind of war crime?

Absolutely 5hite weather for the weekend might be a good idea to check your structural integrity and move things inside for a few days if they are wind sensitive.

Bump for the new season :)

I just bought my nth pair of secateurs, this time I've gone for an all steel traditional style bypass pair as I'm sick of bits failing on plastic bodied jobbies.

these are the ones we have, have had them maybe 7 years for the larger pair, and 5 years for the other, and they're still going strong. i thought they were true temper, but i can't see them on the true temper site.

546182.jpg

aha - darby range, true temper. gave them a quick service earlier and they're pretty much as good as new.

• Advertisement

Woodies delivery notes
    Express Courier Delivery With Fastway (1-2 Working Days)
    Cost is €7.50
    extra for express delivery]

This service guarantees that any order placed before 4pm will ship from our depot the same day on the next day delivery service *
    Rep. of Ireland & Northern Ireland Only

Express Delivery With DPD (1-2 Working Days)
    Cost is €14.50 for orders below €75
    Cost is €9.55 for orders above €75

This service guarantees that any order placed before 4pm will ship from our depot the same day on the next day delivery service *
    Rep. of Ireland & Northern Ireland Only
    This services comes with text alerts and timed delivery slots which the customer can change to suit themselves

Pay the extra! :) DPD are so much better than Fastway in my experience.

Advertisement