Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Remotely operating "smart" machines

• 24-07-2020 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭

Are "smart" washing machines, dryers etc just a pointless gimmick?

I've been trying to track down a tumble dryer that can be started remotely and instructed to run a cycle. I wouldn't have thought this was such a complicated thing, but apparently it is.

Most of the allegedly "smart" machines only let you operate them while in NFC range which defeats the purpose entirely.

All I want to be able to do is to turn on the tumble dryer while I'm at work, using an app rather than a timer.

Doesnt help that I want a heat pump model and in grey or black mind you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

They are a bit pointless in that it is't considered "smart" to have washing machines, tumble dryers etc. running unattended (fire risk).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They are a bit pointless in that it is't considered "smart" to have washing machines, tumble dryers etc. running unattended (fire risk).

If it's unsafe to leave them run unattended, why isn't there a 'dead man's handle' on every washing machine and tumble dryer?

Lots of domestic machines have a delay timer, either so you can run it at off-peak times (when you're in bed) to avail of cheaper electricity or to set the start time so that the cycle will be just finishing when you plan to get home from shopping or work or picking the kids up from school. In the latter case, the user would be out of the house for most of the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

coylemj wrote: »
    If it's unsafe to leave them run unattended, why isn't there a 'dead man's handle' on every washing machine and tumble dryer?

Lots of domestic machines have a delay timer, either so you can run it at off-peak times (when you're in bed) to avail of cheaper electricity or to set the start time so that the cycle will be just finishing when you plan to get home from shopping or work or picking the kids up from school. In the latter case, the user would be out of the house for most of the cycle.

I suspect that delay timers etc. are features added to machines to differentiate them from the competition and allow for a price premium over the basic models.

However there is a lot of advice from various organisations not to use them when asleep etc.

https://www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk/news/2018/11/tumble-dryer-dos-and-don-ts/

https://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/Assets/1/Tumble-Dryer-leaflet.pdf

Admittedly the Whirlpool ones were subject to a recall, but what how many fires occurred before the recall?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0722/1064471-tumble-dryers-recall/

"Darren O'Connor, Sub Officer with Dublin Fire Brigade said that people should not leave appliances unattended. "

https://www.applianceforce.co.uk/hints-tips/16-tumble-dryers/37-general-tumble-dryer-maintenance.html

"Do not leave your Tumble Dryer unattended.
    As with all appliances we strongly recommend you do not leave your tumble dryer unattended, as it can be a potential fire risk. We are aware there are delay timers on the machines, and that is simply down to the demand on manufacturers from the general market. But whilst all appliances are fitted with the relevant safety devices (such as thermostat overheat feature, etc.) we would always say use them whilst you are at home."

Advertisement