Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hiking Sugarloaf from Kilmanacogue dublin bus stop

• 01-07-2020 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone recently has hiked up sugarloaf from Kilmanacogue dublin bus stop? I was thinking of getting the 145 bus from town.
    I've found a couple of old posts but nothing too recent. Would be great if someone who has done this recently could give some directions :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It's fairly straightforward alright. The map here is all you need really. The trail head is about 10 minutes' walk from the bus stop. The bus stop itself isn't on the map, but O in KILMACANOGUE is roughly where Pluck's bar is, and that's visible from the bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Note also that the 145 no longer goes to Kilmac. You'll have to change somewhere along the route to the 45A.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Alun wrote: »
    Note also that the 145 no longer goes to Kilmac. You'll have to change somewhere along the route to the 45A.

Strange that the Dublin bus website shows the 145 goes up to Kilmacanogue

Strange that the Dublin bus website shows the 145 goes up to Kilmacanogue
    The 145 definitely now terminates at Ballywaltrim, and if you click on the route for more details of the 145 route it tells you that too.

The problem is that the 45a isn't operated by Dublin Bus any more, but GoAhead. DB pretend it doesn't exist in their "Journey Planner", so of no use for anything involving more than one operator.

Go to https://journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie and enter the same details and it'll give you the correct answer, which is to change from 145 to 45a on Bray main street :)

BTW the Bus Eireann 133 route is an option too but it'll drop you off on the other side of the N11 and you'll have to cross over on the pedestrian bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Alun wrote: »
    The 145 definitely now terminates at Ballywaltrim, and if you click on the route for more details of the 145 route it tells you that too.

The problem is that the 45a isn't operated by Dublin Bus any more, but GoAhead. DB pretend it doesn't exist in their "Journey Planner", so of no use for anything involving more than one operator.

Go to https://journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie and enter the same details and it'll give you the correct answer, which is to change from 145 to 45a on Bray main street :)

BTW the Bus Eireann 133 route is an option too but it'll drop you off on the other side of the N11 and you'll have to cross over on the pedestrian bridge.

Cheers. Actually I just noticed that the Ballywaltrim bus stop isn't too far off from the Kilmacanogue bus stop. We can walk till there I suppose. Google maps show its only 2 kms

• Advertisement

You're not on a bicycle though, you're walking and there's no footpath along the side of the N11. Change the mode of transport to walking and you'll see the only pedestrian route. Just get the bus and change on Bray main street as the journey planner suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Is this for the little sugarloaf or the big sugarloaf?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Big.

But you could walk to the Little Sugarloaf just as easy - cross the bridge over to the southbound lane of the motorway and go up the laneway at the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

cdeb wrote: »
    Big.

But you could walk to the Little Sugarloaf just as easy - cross the bridge over to the southbound lane of the motorway and go up the laneway at the roundabout.

Ah - Thanks! I know the way to the little Sugarloaf & have done it - its beautiful walk downward with amazing colours & views . its long been an ambition to climb the main event but I can never find the carpark!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ah - Thanks! I know the way to the little Sugarloaf & have done it - its beautiful walk downward with amazing colours & views . its long been an ambition to climb the main event but I can never find the carpark!!

See my answer on the new thread you started about this :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement