Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Irish Game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

DB74 wrote: »
    Thanks guys but at 35 and with a 2nd child on the way in 4 weeks, my playing days are behind me unfortunately. It's just that I never even heard of an American Football team in Dunboyne. I suppose I could be The Waterboy! :D

Definitely not too old to play (we have one guy in his 40s) but if you were interested in coaching even we'd still be interested in having you down. Basically there's a role for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Congrats to the Vikings and Rebels for winning their Semi Finals respectively. Should be a great Shamrock Bowl:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Congrats to the Vikings for winning the Shamrock Bowl over the Rebels 9-6 in OT. Only got to listen to it on that stream provided but it sounded like a very close game:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mysteriousvee

FYI - there is a new Irish American Football (IAFL) website due out shortly. The site is expected in the next month according to inside sources. Looking forward to it...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

FYI - there is a new Irish American Football (IAFL) website due out shortly. The site is expected in the next month according to inside sources. Looking forward to it...:)

Oh you mean the website that has been in the making for the last 12 or more months :D Yeah we wont hold our breath just yet :D:D

mysteriousvee you should also let the good folk on the www.iafs.co.uk know the good news.

Also going to assume by your other posts on boards you are working sportsmanager who are making the IAFL website. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Where does everyone buy gear in Ireland? (Football gear not heroin :p ) Can't find any good sites that ship it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I got cleats from www.champssports.com - think they are the same company as eastbay so try www.eastbay.com too.

Or you can go UK and try www.americanfootballuk.com - I bought a helmet from them last season.

Or EU, forelle probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Oh you mean the website that has been in the making for the last 12 or more months :D Yeah we wont hold our breath just yet :D:D

mysteriousvee you should also let the good folk on the www.iafs.co.uk know the good news.

Also going to assume by your other posts on boards you are working sportsmanager who are making the IAFL website. :D

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Lo all, Just wondering is there any teams near Dundalk. I've loved the game for a long time now, used to play 5 v5 with friends. Ah those were the days. . . .anyway point me at the nearest team please:)

Nearest kitted team would be DCU Saints or Craigavon Cowboys so bit of a trek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

I might have to look into setting something up so. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

so is there still a team in tallaght?

howiya wrote: »
    so is there still a team in tallaght?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

Thats a shame

howiya wrote: »
    Thats a shame

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

will there be a season nxt year?
    from sth dublin.. watched now past 4years never palyed much thought jsut a throwabout... might be interested in playing.

will there be a season nxt year?
    from sth dublin.. watched now past 4years never palyed much thought jsut a throwabout... might be interested in playing.

Yup the lineup of teams this year is as follows:

Teams all over Ireland:

Senior Legaue

Dublin Rebels - www.dublinrebels.com Play Santry, Train Booterstown
    DCU Saints - www.dcusaints.com Play/train Glasnevin I think
    Dublin rhinos - www.rhinos.ie play/train Castleknock
    UCD American Football - No website - Play Train UCD
    Dublin Dragons - www.dublindragons.com - play/train Lucan
    Trinity - Cant remember their website - Play train Santry
    CorK admirals - www.corkadmirals.net - play train UCC
    UL Vikings - www.eteamz.com/ulvikings - Play/Train University Limerick
    Craigavon Cowboys - www.craigavoncowboys.co.uk - Play Train Craigavon
    Belfast Trojans - www.belfasttrojans.com - Belfast
    Carrickfergus Knights - www.carrickfergusknights.com - Carrickfergus

Development Teams: (8 a side)
    New Team in Mullingar Archers maybe?
    Erris Rams in Mayo
    IT Carlow also.

League Website: www.americanfootball.ie

League Unofficial Forum: www.iafs.co.uk

Season Starts in March/April.

Closet would be UCD or Dublin Rebels in Booterstown... ill consider contacting them and seeign about getting a look in. You play for anyone?

Closet would be UCD or Dublin Rebels in Booterstown... ill consider contacting them and seeign about getting a look in. You play for anyone?

I coach UCD and unfortunately it is an 100% student Team.

Edit: As the season is approaching now would be a good time to approach the teams. Lothar on here is the QB and Coach for the Rebels.

I coach UCD and unfortunately it is an 100% student Team.

Edit: As the season is approaching now would be a good time to approach the teams. Lothar on here is the QB and Coach for the Rebels.

100% student aah bless... cool cheers ive sent an email.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Hi me-skywalker,
    Head down to Booterstown this Sunday at 11.45am. We train on the green area just beside Booterstown DART station. Training started two weeks ago, so you haven't missed much. We'll take you through everything.

Do you have an idea of what position you'd like to play? If not, no worries. You can try out a few positions to see what suits.

See you then!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Has a schedule been released yet?

bobby wade wrote: »
    Has a schedule been released yet?

We have our one. So I would say the league one will be released soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Development Teams: (8 a side)
    New Team in Mullingar Archers maybe?
    Erris Rams in Mayo
    IT Carlow also.

Are Carlow definitely competing this season then?

Are Carlow definitely competing this season then?

No idea, I was told they were but havne't heard anything since to be honest. Go here and ask www.iafs.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

The current status of our team in Carlow is Maybe, but more positive than negitave, currently we have some of the Edenderry lads helping out we've not regrouped from the Christmas break. We train Tuesdays and Thursday, the team is mostly comprised of students and former students however we are open to non students too. We are kitted and have a commited group of 12 and a participating group of 18-22 total. I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

a friend of mine just started training with the new tuallamore team and i was thinking bout signing up with him but i have a few questions if anyone could help me out.
    What kind of fitness level would be required and what kind of if any experience would be needed,i have just been a fan the past few years,watching on tv etc but never played.
    I played rugby at prop as a teenager but now im a near 19 stone :o and just looking for soenmthing for sport and craic.
    I would love to join but what position etc would be suitable etc.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

raven136 wrote: »
    a friend of mine just started training with the new tuallamore team and i was thinking bout signing up with him but i have a few questions if anyone could help me out.
    What kind of fitness level would be required and what kind of if any experience would be needed,i have just been a fan the past few years,watching on tv etc but never played.
    I played rugby at prop as a teenager but now im a near 19 stone :o and just looking for soenmthing for sport and craic.
    I would love to join but what position etc would be suitable etc.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Fitness Level - From experience any. But with every sport you are better off keeping your fitness up as like Rugby is a very physical sport and if you are unfit you will feel it :D

Weight: At 19 stone and if you are big consider being a lineman. A lot of folk knock being a lineman when they start as they don't see it as a glamorous position but having been one for 6 years I can tell you it is a lot of fun and you are very important on the field. But 19 stone is a decent weight if you can move and are physically fit.

As I said above the position is up to you but Im sure their coaching staff can point you in the right direction. I will say try a few positions when you get there. Find which is best for you.

Enjoy!

Yeah you'll probably be a lineman, if you liked playing prop you'll love playing on the o or d line, lots of collisions, more technical than a lot of other positions and you've got to use your brain a lot too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Quick question guys, I was reading the 2009 buy laws and it says there is no kicking in the games in Ireland. Is this true? And if so why? I'd love to play american football but I'm 5-11 and 12stone 12 so not really built for it! But could be a kicker/punter.

Advertisement