Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Beginner Guide - Basics, Rules, Definitions etc.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pepperfoot

nice thread. love these informitive posts

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Does anyone know any websites that give any in depth analysis of games/plays? I know NFL Playbook is a good one for it but I'm just wondering if anyone else knows of any other websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

kingcobra wrote: »
    Does anyone know any websites that give any in depth analysis of games/plays? I know NFL Playbook is a good one for it but I'm just wondering if anyone else knows of any other websites?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_rush#Rush

Wiki is actual great for any questions regarding American football.

For example, I heard the phrase "Icing the Kicker" and wiki had a great article on it.

If anybody wants to know, icing the kicker is a tactical, somewhat unsportsmanlike play of calling a time-out just as the kicker is about to attempt a field goal from a great distance. The only risk is if the goal is no-good, it doesn't count and he get's another attempt.

Let's revive the interest here and ask more questions!

FOOTBALL !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

jme2010 wrote: »
    Let's revive the interest here and ask more questions!

Can someone explain the relationship between the coach, the general manager and some of the secondary coaches that work with the offence, defence, etc?

I'm a soccer/Man U fan, and there the chain of command has always been clear. But American football seems to be a little different. I suspect the head coach is still the main man, but it also seems that the general manager and the offence/defence coaches have a big say over what players are signed. Also, the club owner seems to be a lot more hands on (although this is increasingly the case in English soccer) when it comes to what's going on within the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Can someone explain the relationship between the coach, the general manager and some of the secondary coaches that work with the offence, defence, etc?

I'm a soccer/Man U fan, and there the chain of command has always been clear. But American football seems to be a little different. I suspect the head coach is still the main man, but it also seems that the general manager and the offence/defence coaches have a big say over what players are signed. Also, the club owner seems to be a lot more hands on (although this is increasingly the case in English soccer) when it comes to what's going on within the team.

Just to give you a general overview of a teams coaching structure and how it works during game time.

Head coach: He is the main man. Some head coaches like to have a say or even control game alignments and plays that a team might on defense & offense during a game. Others Head Coaches will completely delegate part of a game plan. Take Sean Payton with the Saints for example. He will leave the defensive side of the game to his defensive coordinator. But he himself will then focus on his own area of expertise – the offensive side of the game. It all depends on the franchise itself, some head coaches are very limited in what they can do and others are not. Take the Patriots, they have no General Manager because Belichick as Head Coach is the de facto GM there. He is probably the most immersed head coach in football from the defensive & offensive side of the ball, right down to having a quasi front office role.

Offensive coordinator: He is the coach in charge of the offensive players and strategies during game time. He usually calls the plays and he will work directly with the quarterbacks during a game. Exceptions to this would be QB’s like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. These guys are really more than QB’s, they are offensive coordinators on the field and they will very often call their own plays. The offensive coordinator also will work closely during games with the offensive line coach and running backs coach to coordinate run plays ect.

Defensive coordinator: He is the coach in charge of the defensive game plan and all players on the defensive side of the ball. He decides on what defensive schemes to run during game time. He will also work with the defensive line coach & line backers coach when selecting a particular individual defensive alignment during a game – Blitz package ect.

Special teams coach: He looks after all the special teams. He organises the prep and planning for kickers, punters, kick return team, field goal protection team and the punt return team ect.

Quarterback coach: He is an assistant coach who looks after the physical, mental and technical aspects of a quarterback’s game. From his pass drop footwork technique, right through to his throwing mechanics.

Offensive line coach: He works with the offensive linemen and he also plays a key role in a team’s running game. So he will work closely with the offensive coordinator on all run plays RE: what blocking strategies to implement ect.

Defensive line coach: He works with the defensive linemen on their techniques for stopping the run game, gap control, their various alignments and the personnel used for the pass rush ect. Like on the offensive side of the ball, he works closely with the defensive coordinator during games.

Linebacker coach: He works with the linebackers and he works on a players tackling skills, pass rush ability and pass coverage drop backs ect.

Secondary coach: He works with the defensive backs – cornerbacks and safeties. His primary focus is on pass coverage protection and he also works on honing a players footwork & cover skills.

Strength coach: He rules over all weight training and conditioning programs for the players, from the offseason right through the regular season. Even when a player is rehabbing from injury, he will work closely with team medics to work players through an individual rehab program.

Running Backs coach: He works closely with the running backs on everything from their running techniques, through to cuts and ball security ect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to put it together!

I've tried to watch a few games over the years but I just never got into it. However, something clicked last Sunday. The double-header was on Sky, and I just sat there taking it in. I've been like a big kid all week. Watching and reading everything I can. My beloved Man U bagged three points today, yet all I can think about is a sport I don't understand, and huge men that I'm afraid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to put it together!

I've tried to watch a few games over the years but I just never got into it. However, something clicked last Sunday. The double-header was on Sky, and I just sat there taking it in. I've been like a big kid all week. Watching and reading everything I can. My beloved Man U bagged three points today, yet all I can think about is a sport I don't understand, and huge men that I'm afraid of.

You've caught the bug, welcome to the dark side :) You'll have fun here.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

I'm the same bar the Man u bit, don't bother with MOTD anymore and am thinking of getting tickets to the Penn State game here in Sept.

Some good info in here so fair play to all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

http://www.xsosfootball.com/pass-routes-101/

Seen this on twitter for pass routes!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    http://www.xsosfootball.com/pass-routes-101/

Seen this on twitter for pass routes!

I was just looking through that site and it's a great site for learning the different formations as well! So thanks :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Just play the game boys. The coaches in the IAFL will make sure you know everything you need to :p

The numbers are a key factor in playcalls for those that are just reading and learning about the routes on that link.

When a QB makes a playcall in the huddle it needs to be snappy so you can imagine in a case of trips or more receiver sets he cant go telling each receiver what route to run so he uses the numbers to indicate whos running which route.

The receiver essentially listens out for his number to know what hes expected to do. Starting left to right so the receiver lining out furthers to the left listens to the first number, the next one listens to the next and so on.

That's why the numbers exist. You do hear the commentators particularly on go routes use the numbers sometimes in their comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Ceist, is there something about where a WR lines up that he can be tackled harder (not the phrase i want to use) as in if he lines up or runs outside the numbers (physically on the field) that he can be openly tackled as opposed to lining up inside the numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

No where he lines up doesn't matter at all nor does it matter if he lines up on or off the line of scrimmage.

The receiver can be bumped up to 5 yards from the Line of scrimmage and as for tackles there is no difference.

He cannot be targeted or a hit on a defenseless receiver penalty will be thrown but the determination on that is on the tackle and not on where hes lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 annelin

great i like it very much

A little bit past the 'beginner' level but here is an interesting read for both beginners and otherwise on the 4-3 defensive formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Free Agency is on the horizon, so can someone help clear something up for me?

From what I understand there are Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agents. Unrestricted free agents seem to be players out of contract, right? What are Restricted Free Agents so?

How does Free Agency differ for Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agents?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,329 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A restricted free agent is a player who has three years or less service in the NFL. They are free agents once their contract however the restriction is that the club that they have been with have the right to match any offer made to them and the player must stay with them if that happens.

When a player reaches four years in the NFL he is considered a veteran and when his contract is up he can go wherever he likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Just see references to various teams like number 23 ranked rush defence or number 5 pass offence. Just wondering where these rankings are to be found.

I'm still not over our capitulation to the Seahawks in the nfc championship decider.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

digzy wrote: »
    Just see references to various teams like number 23 ranked rush defence or number 5 pass offence. Just wondering where these rankings are to be found.

I'm still not over our capitulation to the Seahawks in the nfc championship decider.....

My preference is ESPN for those type of stats. Scroll down to change between player and team stats:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Few questions...that may have been answered before,,,

1) If a player is drafted by a team but doesn't want to go and won't go, what happens?
    Has this happened before?

2) What does franchising a player mean? And does the player have any say in it?

3) What was all the craic with ineligible receivers? Can anyone on the field not catch a pass?

4) What happens if a player catches a pass, runs down field, then drops the ball and it goes out of bounds at, say, the 10 yard line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,329 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Few questions...that may have been answered before,,,

1) If a player is drafted by a team but doesn't want to go and won't go, what happens?
    If he is a much sought after player then a deal might be struck between willing teams but the player really has no choice in the matter. You either go with the team who drafted you or you don't get into the NFL.
    2) What does franchising a player mean? And does the player have any say in it?
    Franchise tagging a player is what I presume you are asking about. When a player is out of contract and is a free agent then a team can hold onto him by placing the franchise tag on him. So for instance let's say the player is a safety, this means that for the upcoming season he will get paid the average salary of the top five players at his position. So if the top five highest paid safeties in the league have an average salary of $10,000,000 then that is what he will get paid. This can only be done to one player per team per season. Generally a team will do this if they feel that they can get a player to re-sign with them after free agency. There might be a year where a safety is much sought after by teams and the team who he played for can use the tag to hold onto him knowing that the demand for safeties will drop the next year and they can negotiate a cheaper contract with him.
    The player who has been franchise tagged has no choice but to remain with his team for that season.
    3) What was all the craic with ineligible receivers? Can anyone on the field not catch a pass?
    Ineligible receivers are players on the offensive line in front of the QB. The two players on the outside of the offensive line are eligible but anybody inside them is not.
    So generally the center, the two guards and the two tackles are not eligible as more often than not you have players lined up outside of them.

4) What happens if a player catches a pass, runs down field, then drops the ball and it goes out of bounds at, say, the 10 yard line?
    The ball stays with the team who last had possession of the ball but at the spot of the fumble not where it went out of bounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

eagle eye wrote:
    If he is a much sought after player then a deal might be struck between willing teams but the player really has no choice in the matter. You either go with the team who drafted you or you don't get into the NFL.

This isn't entirely correct.

If a player doesn't sign a contract with the team that has drafted him by a certain deadline, then they have to sit out the year but they can re-enter the draft the following year when the drafting team's rights on that player expire.

This famously happened with Bo Jackson. He was highly touted going into his senior year in college and most figured he would go with the first pick in the draft. There was also a concern that he would pursue baseball instead of football.

The Buccaneers invited him to tour their facilities in what they assured him was a legal visit that had been cleared with the NCAA, but it wasn't. This resulted in him being ruled ineligible for the rest of the college baseball season (though it didn't effect his football). Jackson, and many others, believed this was a deliberate sabotage by the Bucs to prevent him from pursuing a baseball career and force him into football. The Bucs ended up with the first overall pick and despite Jackson vowing he would never sign with them, they drafted him anyway.

Jackson stayed true to his word and refused to sign. He instead played baseball for a year. The next year, the Bucs surrendered his rights before they were due to expire anyway, and he ended up entering the next draft. No one thought he was serious about football any more so he fell to the 7th round where he was drafted by the Raiders and went on to play in both NFL and MLB simultaneously.

Of course if a team doesn't sign a player they have drafted, they can still trade his rights. This happened with John Elway and Eli Manning, though in the latter case the Chargers and Giants had worked out a trade in advance of the draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

The cap:
    How much is it per team?
    How much would you expect top earners versus lowest earners to be getting?
    Is it just a player salary cap or does it include the running of the (I hate the word, but) franchise too?

Advertisement