Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hobby biking

Options
  • 17-05-2019 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Anyone get a bike after a 20 or 30 year gap for a summer hobby?
    I'm thinking of doing this. Just muck about on a banger for the craic.
    Can I get insurance to a couple of months and cost?
    Have full A licence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The only way you'll get cost of insurance is ringing and checking. Random number generator depending on your circumstances. When did you get your A license ? Is it still valid if its 20 years since you last rode?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

GBX wrote: »
    The only way you'll get cost of insurance is ringing and checking. Random number generator depending on your circumstances. When did you get your A license ? Is it still valid if its 20 years since you last rode?

Don't waste time here asking questions. Call the few insurers that do bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Anyone get a bike after a 20 or 30 year gap for a summer hobby?
    I'm thinking of doing this. Just muck about on a banger for the craic.
    Can I get insurance to a couple of months and cost?
    Have full A licence.

Get some refresher lessons. Bikes have moved on and you have been off a long time.

Unfortunately only do insurance for the year. But you can cancel the policy after the summer, but that will be expensive as you won't be building a NCD

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

I gave up bikes maybe 30 years ago after a crash and about 4 years ago decided to get back into them, like yourself I kept my licence up to date, in the past 4 years Ive had all sorts from sports bikes to big traile's to tourer's so what happened there all sitting in the shed lol I also bought a few bangers and started messing around with them and classics, at the moment Im on a vespa buzz and dont feel the need for speed anymore.
    You will need to pay insurance for the year but depending on your age its not too bad, a refresher course might be a good idea.
    But go for it you only live once and all that

Advertisement