Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    Have eight ft Fleming superfloat. Mounted and folds in behind tractor. It's grand but I'd prefer a mower. Replaced the two gearboxs after hitting uneven grand. The topper leaves a mat of grass on the paddocks which I don't like. With rough ground you can just lift up the mower.
    New Fleming wouldn't be big money, I forget what was paid for it.

Who did you deal with for the Fleming?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,008 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Don't really understand the unconditional preference for a mower to do a toppers job.
    Fair enough if you want to just buy one machine, but what are the rest of ye trying to top that you need a mower?

Wouldn't want to be bothering myself using a good mower out topping a few patches of thistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Do these toppers leave a better finish than the bog standard single rotor 6' semi offset toppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

Don't really understand the unconditional preference for a mower to do a toppers job.
    Fair enough if you want to just buy one machine, but what are the rest of ye trying to top that you need a mower?

Wouldn't want to be bothering myself using a good mower out topping a few patches of thistles.

Agree fully. A decent mo-co is completely unsuitable for topping unless you are happy to disconnect the conditioner and risk the bed every time you go near a ditch.

A topper will do a decent job if the blades are kept sharp and they are far more durable machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

maidhc wrote: »
    Agree fully. A decent mo-co is completely unsuitable for topping unless you are happy to disconnect the conditioner and risk the bed every time you go near a ditch.

A topper will do a decent job if the blades are kept sharp and they are far more durable machines.

Not all disc mowers are conditioners.

Skids can be bought and easily fixed to a mower to lift the bed out of the danger zone.

I had the same thought process as you a few years ago, hence buying a topper.

Last year I topped the outside few laps of a field with a mower and finished it with the topper. Difference is still visible even now, mowed ground much cleaner and has thicker grass. Mowed grass will also regrow quicker.

Also worth noting this was with a newly sharpened topper compared to a mower with a bit of work done. I think you summed it up your self with the term "decent", whereas a mower will do a proper job.

Also no harm to cut the grass down to the butt every couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭emaherx

No way I'd use my mower for topping. I'd be right pee'd off if it broke down while cutting weeds and impacted on the silage/hay making.

Topper here gets fairly abused with everything from cutting rough fields of rushes to cutting hedges that are encroaching on fields. If it breaks down there is no panic in repairing it, unlike the mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,008 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

riemann wrote: »
    Also no harm to cut the grass down to the butt every couple of years.

Yeah but you can either give it a heavy grazing or else lock it up for a cut of silage every couple of years.

Or buy a few sheep to keep it clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

hopeso wrote: »
    Do these toppers leave a better finish than the bog standard single rotor 6' semi offset toppers?

Never used the 6 foot one. It looks a slow job.
    Tbh a mower would be ideal but our ground doesnt suit it
    Mowers are only suitable for pre mowin not after topping.
    They don't mulch the residual like a topper does and if you have any volume left it'll choke the new grass whereas with a topper it rots into the soil.
    As well when we were buying a neighbour was changing the bed in a 4/5 year old Kuhn. My neighbour said that the bed was destroed by small bits of weeds and stuff getting into the bed. Mowers are bulit for high volumes of grass not topping and where you have good blades well edged and down to 4-5 cm topping helps.
    Otherwise might as well pour the diesel down the drain.

Skipping paddocks for bales is a better job imo where possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Yeah but you can either give it a heavy grazing or else lock it up for a cut of silage every couple of years.

Or buy a few sheep to keep it clean!

It would appear you have made your mind up and will not listen to any other options.

Unsurprising given your username.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Fleming 9ft topper €6750 Inc vat

I'm just after seeing this ad.... It lists the Major 9ft trailed at less than the Fleming, which surprises me..... https://www.donedeal.ie/toppers-for-sale/new-major-toppers/19274252

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

cutting thistles is one thing; a grass mower will mow the grass
    stem at 4 cms for good regrowth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

emaherx wrote: »
    No way I'd use my mower for topping. I'd be right pee'd off if it broke down while cutting weeds and impacted on the silage/hay making.

Topper here gets fairly abused with everything from cutting rough fields of rushes to cutting hedges that are encroaching on fields. If it breaks down there is no panic in repairing it, unlike the mower.

I'd agree with that. A mower would be fine for topping on good grazing ground that you know but it's hard to beat the topper in rough ground with stones. Have a 6ft galvanised major here and the abuse it has seen is unreal and still flying it. Has cut everything from strong rushes to briars to blacthorns to huge stones and bar a few packs of shearbolts and a few blades has needed nothing.

Abbey 8ft 4900 Inc vat. No trade in. Measured ours and it is an 8ft. Used our own one for a short time yesterday. Its OK. Will stick it up on done deal.

Abbey 8ft 4900 Inc vat. No trade in. Measured ours and it is an 8ft. Used our own one for a short time yesterday. Its OK. Will stick it up on done deal.

That's very handy money for a trailed topper.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

That's very handy money for a trailed topper.....

I reckon thats mounted and flicks out to side

Did you sell it? https://www.donedeal.ie/toppers-for-sale/wanted-8ft-trailed-abbey-topper/22384010

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

With a trailer topper does it cut the ground as well where the tyre tracks on tractor went and knocked the grass down iykwim?......

See a neighbour here with a topper that reverses around the fields when topping!.....is this to counteract grass/rushes etc being knocked down before meeting the toppers blades?

With a trailer topper does it cut the ground as well where the tyre tracks on tractor went and knocked the grass down iykwim?......

See a neighbour here with a topper that reverses around the fields when topping!.....is this to counteract grass/rushes etc being knocked down before meeting the toppers blades?

It slews out to the side of the tractor when working, just like a trailed mower. So, there are no tractor tracks in front of it....

Sold mine about a month ago to someone from boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Conor I bought 7yrs ago no trouble so far9ft geared I have to use trailed as hills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭older by the day

I got a whylie 6ft cross rotor. Tin is a bit light on top. But she's backed in to furze Bush's, briars, rushs no problem . I have her rose up so not to catch sods and rocks. One thing I break a lot of sheer bolts turning on the drive. Once going its fine. I do need the shear bolt as it gets a rough ride. Any strong brand of bolt ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Odelay

I got a whylie 6ft cross rotor. Tin is a bit light on top. But she's backed in to furze Bush's, briars, rushs no problem . I have her rose up so not to catch sods and rocks. One thing I break a lot of sheer bolts turning on the drive. Once going its fine. I do need the shear bolt as it gets a rough ride. Any strong brand of bolt ??

Stick with the shear bolt, there is a reason for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Went with a 10ft mower here instead of replacing the topper, and to my surprise I've found the mower is better able to handle some of the rough ground here, the bed of the mower glides over bumps whereas the the topper has nothing to protect the blade for any bumps that are narrower than the skids.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mcgyvor

Bought a perfect 9ft topper here can use
    Semi offset or straight behind tractor is belt driven .has no shear bolt as belt will slip if you hit something also no folding no rams no wheels and cuts as good as my previous major side mounted

What tractor have you got? It sounds like the PTO is kicking in too sharp if you're breaking shear bolts when starting the topper.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Timmaay wrote: »
    Went with a 10ft mower here instead of replacing the topper, and to my surprise I've found the mower is better able to handle some of the rough ground here, the bed of the mower glides over bumps whereas the the topper has nothing to protect the blade for any bumps that are narrower than the skids.

ditto

What tractor have you got? It sounds like the PTO is kicking in too sharp if you're breaking shear bolts when starting the topper.....

Should be no revs when engaging pto

Should be no revs when engaging pto

True, but some of them still cut in too sharp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭older by the day

Mf 6270. And I only barely click it on very slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Mf 6270. And I only barely click it on very slow.

What size bolt is it ?
    M8 m10 m12?
    I know a lad who had m8 bolts on an agitator which went through them fast

Advertisement