Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noteworthy.ie Journals new investigative journalism site

• 28-04-2019 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone seen this? Seems to be a new model of journalism where members of the public are asked to fund specific stories for investigation. Costs seem to lie between €400 and €2,500 and a good few stories on their site have already been funded.
    www.noteworthy.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Will have a proper look at that later.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'm dubious about how authentic the funding is. On the day they launched there was a very odd pattern to the donations on some of the stories.. e.g. 20 identical donations of €50 on the same day etc. I see there are a couple of stories now that have 1 single backer funding €400 or €500.. who is paying that?

Granted, it might be that in the early days they are seeding the funding themselves using Journal.ie credit cards just to get the whole thing up and running...

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

They've clearly been funding the first stories themselves, judging by the donation patterns. Very early days but it seems like it will be a flop. I just don't think calibre of stories we have here in Ireland is of sufficient interest or importance that the average punter would shell out a tenner or twenty quid just for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gotta say, at a glance - some of them are just the usual rehashed hot button topics and some of them look like blog entries! Best of luck to it.

Advertisement