Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Incident at P&E Boarding Kennels

• 24-04-2019 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this the right place to post about this if so do delete.

Now we did leave our pup there for the day and they seemed fine, the owner was a little rude but anyway I just came across this story a few minutes ago and I think everyone thinking of using them should be made aware of this.

The 3rd picture might disturb someone so you've been warned but imo you need to see it.

I've never met this woman or know anything about her before I read it, I'm just disgusted and angered by it all.

<link removed>
    On the 27th of December 2018 I brought my husky Nova to <snip> boarding kennels to be boarded for 3 days while my family went to Iceland. Nova had an ongoing issue with Colitis and this was being managed with steroids for the last few months successfully, she had been checked by my vet prior to boarding and we had discussed taking her off the steroids as she was responding so well.
    I gave multiple written and verbal instructions on how the steroid was to be given separately to her food and that she needs to get this twice a day, <snip> also advertise that they cater for medication and dogs that need extra care once they are informed in advance. On the 31st of December I went straight from the airport to <snip> to collect Nova. I rang 4 times waiting outside to pick her up. <snip> answered and told me to come around to the gate when I told him I was here for Nova. Once in, we were told Nova had died - they had found her that morning bloodied in her kennel. We where shocked and beyond devastated at this as we had left a healthy dog in 3 days earlier. I asked the kennels immediately if she had received her medication and I was told she had. They had crushed Nova into what I can only describe as a ball wrapped in a black bag, covered in masking tape. There was no care or empathy in the way she had been handled. It was utterly traumatic and heartbreaking to leave with her like that. We drove straight to the vet and she was horrified, and couldn’t believe there was a 25kg husky crammed in this ball. We confirmed via microchip that it was Nova and made the decision to send Nova for a postmortem in UCD due to the circumstances. I emailed and messaged <snip> asking for more information on how she had seemed when she was with them etc. and I still have not received any kind of contact back. Nova was a once in a lifetime kind of dog for me and my family and has left a hole that will always be impossible to fill, she is loved and missed every single day and I hope writing this can stop a similar situation in the future. Clearly these kennels are not fit to provide the levels of care they advertise. #justicefornova

<link removed>

<link removed>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

There's a 2nd story out now about another dog who passed away in their care - apparently they brought the dog to the vet and they gave the vet consent to be put to sleep and had it cremated and all before the owners even returned from their holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I was just going to post on the same topic. There now has been a number of people coming forward with similar stories. They also run a rescue, where it costs €200 to adopt a dog and its not clear where the stock of dogs comes from.

I am appalled that anyone could hand a pet back to its owner like that.

The owner of the Kennels has said the dog had parvo and he had been advised to wrap her like that. Another owner returned from holiday to be told their dog had died and they had him creamated, without as much as telling the owner. A third ladies' lurcher was bitten all over with puncture wounds.

There are too many questions to be answered.

There are too many unregulated kennels and rescues in this Country. I was pleased to see another one called into question and disbanded recently over claims of inadequate governance and funds.

My heart is breaking for Nova's owner. I have signed the petition to shut the place down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

is there a licensing procedure for kennels?
    I saw it this morning and well there is no good way to wrap up a dog is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Saw this lastnight, crazy

I left my cat in there for 2 nights boarding 3 years ago. There was no harm to him, but he was clearly a bit rattled when we picked him up and smelled absolutely foul. A rather heated argument going on with another customer about the state of their dog when I was picking up too, that was enough warning bells for me and never went near the place again.

We got off very lightly though judging by this story, and the amount of others coming out now saying their pets died/were harmed while staying there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Thank you OP for not sharing the images directly and giving a warning, unfortunately some muppets on FB do not have the same sense and I accidentally came across the image while I was eating my breakfast this morning. I really did not need to see it and am still shocked to the core.

As for the person who says there is no good way to wrap a dog - cop yourself on. How about being respectful and simply wrapping the dogs body in a blanket or even covering it in plastic without crushing it into an unnatural shape?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Even something like a large plastic storage box packed with ice to delay decomposition would have been more dignified. It says a lot about the people running the establishment that this was deemed acceptable.

....... wrote: »

As for the person who says there is no good way to wrap a dog - cop yourself on. How about being respectful and simply wrapping the dogs body in a blanket or even covering it in plastic without crushing it into an unnatural shape?

Imagine being the owner and being handed back your pet like this with no forewarning.

The owner of the kennels did not even have the decency to speak to Nova's owner himself.

Total lack of responsibility and respect. The amount of other stories coming out are also shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Why was the name removed from the title??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

in an ice box situation the body would still have to be wrapped in plastic to avoid it getting wet.

What I was trying to say was that no matter how the poor dog was wrapped up it not good.

anewme wrote: »
    Imagine being the owner and being handed back your pet like this with no forewarning.

The owner of the kennels did not even have the decency to speak to Nova's owner himself.

Total lack of responsibility and respect. The amount of other stories coming out are also shocking.

They basically mutilated the animals corpse and treated it like meat.

It is utterly unacceptable.

I also dont doubt for a minute that they were instrumental in causing the death of the poor creature. Or at least in not treating something they should have. Wrapping it up like that makes me suspicious that they were trying to hide an injury, as they must have injured the corpse badly to be able to wrap it that way.

Does anyone know what the post mortem showed?

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    in an ice box situation the body would still have to be wrapped in plastic to avoid it getting wet.

What I was trying to say was that no matter how the poor dog was wrapped up it not good.

Wrapped. Not squashed, compressed and mutilated into a ball.

They must have broken and/or dislocated bones in the poor animals corpse to fit it into the ball they made of it.

Its absolutely disgusting and if someone treated my pet like that, post mortem, I would be heart broken.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Will all posters please be aware that Boards is not permitted to be used for campaigns, boycotting businesses, to gain exposure for petitions or 'rallying the troops'. Unless someone can provide a link to a reputable source (ie. A newspaper article) then do not name the kennels as this could be seen as potential defamation.

You can discuss this matter within the parameters given above.

Thanks,
    CB.

Will all posters please be aware that Boards is not permitted to be used for campaigns, boycotting businesses or 'rallying the troops'. Unless someone can provide a link to a reputable source (ie. A newspaper article) then do not name the kennels as this could be seen as potential defamation.

Thanks,
    CB.

Online articles:

https://www.buzz.ie/news/dublin-dog-owner-slams-kennel-pet-wrapped-black-bag-covered-masking-tape-324604

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/24/anger-insensitive-kennels-wrapping-husky-duct-tape-died-9302871/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6955527/Dog-sitters-tell-owner-pet-died-hand-dead-husky-wrapped-duct-tape.html

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/distraught-owner-given-dog-back-16173980

Its all over online media. And the kennel is named in all the articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

They basically mutilated the animals corpse and treated it like meat.

It is utterly unacceptable.

I also dont doubt for a minute that they were instrumental in causing the death of the poor creature. Or at least in not treating something they should have. Wrapping it up like that makes me suspicious that they were trying to hide an injury, as they must have injured the corpse badly to be able to wrap it that way.

Inconclusive the owner stated. UCD said the dog likely died from internal bleeding but were unable to say what caused the blood loss. I think she also said there was no food in the dog's stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Will all posters please be aware that Boards is not permitted to be used for campaigns, boycotting businesses, to gain exposure for petitions or 'rallying the troops'. Unless someone can provide a link to a reputable source (ie. A newspaper article) then do not name the kennels as this could be seen as potential defamation.

Thanks,
    CB.

Listen back to Liveline there like a good chap.

I actually think its in the public interest to restore the kennels name in this thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

ganmo wrote: »
    is there a licensing procedure for kennels?
    I saw it this morning and well there is no good way to wrap up a dog is there.

Yes there is. There was no respect at all shown here and I would be doing time if somebody did that to my dog. I can't understand what kind of person would do something like that. Looked like garbage and that is no way to handle a loved beautiful pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Pretty much all of those 'media' outlets source their 'news' from social media.

What you're seeing there is the same story being picked up and published.

Not saying it didn't happen but I wouldn't trust any of them to be fact checking, contacting the person who posted that story or even giving the kennels a quick ring.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Pretty much all of those 'media' outlets source their 'news' from social media.

What you're seeing there is the same story being picked up and published.

Not saying it didn't happen but I wouldn't trust any of them to be fact checking, contacting the person who posted that story or even giving the kennels a quick ring.

Its on more than the links I posted.

And its been talked about on Liveline radio today.

It will no doubt hit print media shortly - it only broke last night.

Anyway - the point is - it can be named if other media outlets have named it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I read this post yesterday and was devastated for the owners... what a horrific story :eek:

honest to god if I came back to collect my guy Cody and was handed back to me like this... honestly I wouldn't be responsible for my actions.. honestly id loose my sh*te altogether...

whatever about a dog getting ill, calling the owner, getting their vet and trying to help and the dog still doesn't make it (albeit id still freak out)
    but to be handed back like THAT??????????????? 3 days and the dogs dead???

Honestly the photo of the poor dog wrapped up like a piece of rubbish... what were they thinking?

I hope they get some justice for the poor dog...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

Poor Nova-they may never find out what happened to her.

Poor lady, she must be heart broken.

Update from Owner:

The result for Nova that came back showed it was internal bleeding that caused her to bleed out , she also had no food in her stomach so unfortunately the post mortem was unable to determine if she was given the steroids. Bloods and main cause also came back inconclusive although it is known that the only way this bleeding could be brought on so quickly In relation to the Colitis would be if nova had not received her medication that was managed and stopped this.
    Now What is asked is... WHAT happened Nova in her final hours?
    WHO administered the mediation to Nova or did they?
    WHAT was her demeanour in her last hours?
    WHY her owners weren't informed?
    WHY were they not brought in and shown compassion and respect?
    WHY did the owner of the establishment leave in the van on owners arrival?
    WHY did someone else to hand the dog out?
    WHY was Nova's owner not brought inside?
    WHY won't you answer?

I see another woman has said now that she left a dog with them and when she came to collect him was told he was 'gone'. Apparently the dog become very unwell so they brought him to the vet but he wasn't responding to treatment so they gave the vet the go ahead to have him pts and then had him cremated, all without the owner knowing?!?!?! Could that be true? Because that's incomprehensible to me. But then so is being handed back your dog like poor Nova was so I just don't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

We dropped our dog in there for a couple of days when he was young. He came back smelling of Jayees fluid and very traumatized. He bolted from the car when we got home and ran the length of the road before we could catch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Beheretomorrow

Sorry to hear this.

I wish people would use Google reviews to leave this type of feedback so other people are made aware of their experience

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Listen back to Liveline there like a good chap.

No need to be a smart arse. That's no way to talk to a mod who has already issued a warning on thread.
    Please don't post in this thread again or I will ban you from the forum for good.

I hadn’t heard the poor dog had parvovirus, but this would indeed explain the Colitis-like symptoms, and is a much more serious condition than idiopathic inflammatory bowel disease in dogs. It would also explain why the poor beautiful animal had to be sealed tightly, however disagreeable this might be. If it is indeed true he had parvo then steroids would suppress his immune system making the infection even worse. It would also mean that the kennel owner had a duty to dispose of the animal as it’s sadly not curable and spreads to other animals. But, again I say this is only if it was known that he did have parvovirus. In any case it seems there should have been communication with the owner, assuming that the owner left a valid telephone number with the kennels etc. when I leave my cat into boarding they have my number plus that of a relative back home in case of emergency. I always have to sign a waiver that he may be euthanised upon decision of the vet.

D3V!L wrote: »
    We dropped our dog in there for a couple of days when he was young. He came back smelling of Jayees fluid and very traumatized. He bolted from the car when we got home and ran the length of the road before we could catch him.

At least Jeyes fluid means they are disinfecting the place, although in animal care shelters like <snip> they use pet-safe products.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have used them for maybe 9/10 years.....never had any trouble.
    Another rescue also uses/used them before dogs go to UK. Not sure if they still do?
    It is so awful what happened. Why didn’t he call the vet that is 5/10 minutes away.
    I am sure the vet would of held onto the dog until the owner came home.

With regard to the other story with the cremation....I find that very strange? I would be interested to find out what vet cremated the animal. Two months ago I had to pts one of my dogs and I got her cremated......I can’t remember the cost but it was a few hundred euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

Was reading about this case last night and comments from other people who had issues with the same kennels. The image of the dog wrapped up was shocking. Not saying they were to blame for the dogs death but it seems the entire situation was handled terribly by an experienced kennel. Everything going by other peoples comments seems very off about this place, dogs should not be coming out terrified or with unexplained injuries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement