Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK Bans pigeon and crow shooting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Apart from zero consultation with any of the groups involved??Yeah no big deal.

Same amount of consultation as we got when the use of calls and decoys were banned here. Our government bodies aint much better than the UK's. Sure some lads still use them, not even aware that it's an illegal practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Eddie B wrote: »
    Well looks as though it aint such a big deal after all.

https://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/generallicences/

Why bother getting a licence when you can't be refused the same licence. You are licensed as soon as you put the application from in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Kran wrote: »
    Can you even get a license for crow decoys? If so how do I go about it? I got permission to shoot over some tillage land which is rare in my area. The crows plague it when it’s just been set. I’ve shot a good few there but sometimes it can take ages to get the first few to use as decoys themselves.

Look for the following:

WILDLIFE ACTS 1976 TO 2018 - SECTION 35 APPLICATION FOR LICENCE TO USE DECOYS, LURES, SCARECROWS.

Applications found at : https://www.npws.ie/licences/hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Anyone successfully apply for such a license? Or is the form only there for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Slightly OT...The foreshore liscense.Is this a renewable annually,or a once off and you are good liscense??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Slightly OT...The foreshore liscense.Is this a renewable annually,or a once off and you are good liscense??

If I follow your train of thought.

There are two different terms for a foreshore licence:

The individual: renew every 5 years

&

The club: renew every year

Anyone successfully apply for such a license? Or is the form only there for the sake of it.

No, they are issued, they are done on a case by case basis. A local Wildlife Ranger will assess the merit of the application, just the same as a Sec42.

You won't be given a cart blanche to kill every target species and restrictions may be put in place. Effectively the licence is to grant the licensee the legal use of prohibited decoys and not the ability to hunt out side of the derogation to the Wild Birds Protection regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

If I follow your train of thought.

There are two different terms for a foreshore licence:

The individual: renew every 5 years

&

The club: renew every year

Same here in UK mainland. Not certain about Norn Iron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Corvidae

Wonderful news. I have had the regular misfortune of seeing shooters leave wounded and dying birds both crows and pigeons in local fields. They did not even have the common decency to kill the birds that they had shot even walking past them to exit the fields. Hopefully our government follows suit sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Corvidae wrote: »
    Wonderful news. I have had the regular misfortune of seeing shooters leave wounded and dying birds both crows and pigeons in local fields. They did not even have the common decency to kill the birds that they had shot even walking past them to exit the fields. Hopefully our government follows suit sooner rather than later.

I don't believe many on here have a problem with laws. Its introducing them without debate, and a supposed impartial BBC presenter using his status to sway opinions.

If you want change, gradual is always more palatable to the ones affected.

Do you think non indigenous eurasian magpies should be protected and why?

• Advertisement

Corvidae,

You need to keep afoot of the on going situation in England. The authorities are now being inundated with licence applications that are authorised by the mere application process.
    This is simply a hicup in procedure and once the 'i's are dotted and the 't's crossed legitimate hunters and vermin controlers will be able to continue in thier lawful activities.
    We already have control measures in place here for both the legal protection of birds and thier legal hunting. So there is no real reason to copy what was obviously a flawed system as seen in England.

slipperyox wrote: »
    I don't believe many on here have a problem with laws. Its introducing them without debate, and a supposed impartial BBC presenter using his status to sway opinions.

If you want change, gradual is always more palatable to the ones affected.

Do you think non indigenous eurasian magpies should be protected and why?

I don't think Packham is supposed to be impartial, he is a wildlife presenter but whatever.

I believe that if scientific evidence deems that there is a problem with a non-indigenous species that a highly regulated set of people or companies are charged with performing a cull. Not some guy with a shotgun blasting away for a day leaving a mass of wounded birds behind him.

Perhaps I'm unlucky and live among a group of particularly uncaring shooters but I can only give you my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Corvidae wrote: »
    I don't think Packham is supposed to be impartial, he is a wildlife presenter but whatever.

I believe that if scientific evidence deems that there is a problem with a non-indigenous species that a highly regulated set of people or companies are charged with performing a cull. Not some guy with a shotgun blasting away for a day leaving a mass of wounded birds behind him.

Perhaps I'm unlucky and live among a group of particularly uncaring shooters but I can only give you my experience.

We in the shooting community here all agree what you have described is unacceptable, and you are within your rights to report a suspected wildlife crime and I personally encourage you to do so. There is always the <1%

slipperyox wrote: »
    We in the shooting community here all agree what you have described is unacceptable, and you are within your rights to report a suspected wildlife crime and I personally encourage you to do so. There is always the <1%

Thank you. I appreciate that and hope as you say it is less than 1%.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Re-legalize fox hunting but illegalize this. Makes sense...

I agree that pest controllers should not be leaving animals alive to suffer. If you're a **** shot, use the extra cartridge and deal with it.

And then please come to Dublin and deal with the seagulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I got one of these licenses without any hassle. Just explain why you need to shoot the birds. Supply your land permission and copy of your firearms license.

I haven't got a chance to do any decoying but I'm hoping two dozen full bodied crow decoys and an electronic call will make the job easier.

I got one of these licenses without any hassle. Just explain why you need to shoot the birds. Supply your land permission and copy of your firearms license.

I haven't got a chance to do any decoying but I'm hoping two dozen full bodied crow decoys and an electronic call will make the job easier.

Ahhh....... now here's were the issues start!

I am in no way questioning what your saying or have done but what you did to acquire your section 35 licence is not part of the procedure as per the application form, ie no proof of land permission, firearms certificate etc.
    So this smacks of individuals in the department interpretating the nessecery requirements for issuing said licence.

Ive seen a few departmental doozies with the likes of section 42's - farms of 300 plus acres scourged with deer - 'shoot 1 stag and scare the rest' while two 4 acre fields could have a cull of 15 or more animals, or better still a 4 month long section with 1 stag only for the cull.

Your at the mercy of how much common sense that the individual who is dealing with the application actualy has. I know of one wild life ranger who wouldn't even set foot on the farm when they arrived to do an assessment in respect of a section, kept asking to be shown proof of damage, presence etc etc from the sanctity of the farm yard, this in an area riddled with deer!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Look for the following:

WILDLIFE ACTS 1976 TO 2018 - SECTION 35 APPLICATION FOR LICENCE TO USE DECOYS, LURES, SCARECROWS.

Applications found at : https://www.npws.ie/licences/hunting

You need a licence for a scarecrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Chiparus wrote: »
    You need a licence for a scarecrow?

Apparently. Love the section asking what qualifications the applicant has. An honours degree in scarecrowology?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

I want to know what the punishment for an unlicensed scarecrow is.

And if 'Possession of an unlicensed scarecrow' can literally be a thing you can have on your criminal record.

Means Worzel Gummidge was screwed if he ever came to Ireland.
    [Dating myself there.:) ]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Apparently. Love the section asking what qualifications the applicant has. An honours degree in scarecrowology?

Could always throw the likes of Kathy Griffin in a field. She’d scare a buzzard off a gut truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Juniper has to go surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

ogsjw wrote: »
    I want to know what the punishment for an unlicensed scarecrow is.

And if 'Possession of an unlicensed scarecrow' can literally be a thing you can have on your criminal record.

Of it is, I want a criminal record, it would be absolutely class having that as a conviction:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Means Worzel Gummidge was screwed if he ever came to Ireland.
    [Dating myself there.:) ]

Remember him well - as a kid.

4AF6EE1100000578-5593361-Coming_soon_Mackenzie_Crook_is_poised_for_a_return_to_British_te-a-2_1523266454429.jpg

Ohhhh! The poor snowflake!
    How many times have hunters,especially women hunters,masters of hounds, fox hunters,mink farmers, research scientists,fishermen and all the fieldsports community recived death threats?Or letter bombs?Or been openly harrassed, intimidated or even set upon or even in some cases have had ther graves of their relatives desecrated,or property destroyed by the spikey haired, nosed ringed, black clad balacalaved thugs,and no one has had any sympathy from Piers Morgan[Gob****e] or SKY news or the like???...Grand Total NONE!!!
    So heres a thing there Graham,maybe you should be careful about chucking stones in your glass house,and consider your sin free existence before you throw the first stone perhaps???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Bordglas

Well said. Thank you.

Advertisement