Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relacquering steam damaged finish - kitchen units

• 24-03-2019 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Hi All, Would anyone know if its possible to get a lacquered finish on kitchen units rectified? Basically years of steam from pots on a hob has damaged the lacquered finish above the cooker on the hob unit housing and press either side - I do not require the full kitchen units re-lacquered. Please see photos attached. I'm sure the units can be taken off but I would rather avoid this for fear of doing damage so if the work could be done with them in situ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

no pic

in theory yes but it would depend on the laquer type and whether the wood is veneer under it
    no matter what you do it will not match .

i would refinish all the doors etc off site and redo the cabinets in situe if posible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Apologies - Photos attached - they are soul destroying slow to upload for some reason

Area is West Limerick

that doesnt look that bad
    the bigest problem will be the colour will look blotchy where the finish is missing .

is that a black board in the panel of the door . thats cool

that doesnt look that bad
    the bigest problem will be the colour will look blotchy where the finish is missing .

is that a black board in the panel of the door . thats cool

Thanks the_pen_turner. Appreciate your response. Do you think that given the quality of the expected finished product it may be best to leave as is? I agree its not horrendously bad but it does annoy me a bit! Also would you know what ballpark figure I would expect to pay?

Ah no, its a brown tinted glass panel in the door! Just the angle of the photo really gives the impression its a black painted panel I suppose.

• Advertisement

Thanks the_pen_turner. Appreciate your response. Do you think that given the quality of the expected finished product it may be best to leave as is? I agree its not horrendously bad but it does annoy me a bit! Also would you know what ballpark figure I would expect to pay?

Ah no, its a brown tinted glass panel in the door! Just the angle of the photo really gives the impression its a black painted panel I suppose.
    It's hard to say without seeing it I person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Those panels will need to be sanded back and probably stained to try to match rest of kitchen, then lacquer on top, probably a 2 pac. A waterbased one might soften with the steam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Had some steam damage to oak units once from constant kettle use. It had caused a white staining to the press above. I used coconut oil to polish it off and it worked a treat... might be worth a shot..?

Doop wrote: »
    Had some steam damage to oak units once from constant kettle use. It had caused a white staining to the press above. I used coconut oil to polish it off and it worked a treat... might be worth a shot..?

Thanks Doop, sounds like its definitely worth a try. Did it last reasonably well for you or did it dry out on its own even? Where might be the best place to get some coconut oil would you know? Thanks again.wink.png

Thanks Doop, sounds like its definitely worth a try. Did it last reasonably well for you or did it dry out on its own even? Where might be the best place to get some coconut oil would you know? Thanks again.wink.png

the problem with oil is that once you put it on you wont be able to put other stuff on if it doesnt work

• Advertisement

the problem with oil is that once you put it on you wont be able to put other stuff on if it doesnt work

You could always seal it with a clear knotting solution but thats just making more work for yourself

dok_golf wrote: »
    You could always seal it with a clear knotting solution but thats just making more work for yourself

would that add colour

no, i meant after putting oil on, the knotting solution would seal it so you could try other things, but as i said, it's just making more and more work for the op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Coconut oil is available in all supermarkets really. It's solid like hard butter comes in glass jar people use it for cooking. Did the job for us anyway. Got a cloth and worked in a lump of the oil.
    Gluck!

Thanks all for the assistance. It is very much appreciated. In particular Doop, the coconut oil worked an absolute treat. The panels are very much as good as new. The coconut oil does take a small bit of effort to work in but the end result is more than worth the effort.

I used a soft cotton cloth to work in the coconut oil working across the grain first and then working along the grain. Please see after photos attached. One of the photos shows the job part way through on one panel which really highlights the difference before and after. Probably best to open the before pictures I attached to my initial post also for full before and after effect.

im surprised. that looks great.

must remember that one. Thats brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Wow, thats fab, I have the same problem over the kettle. Definitely going to try this !!!

Advertisement