Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landscape for Electronic Engineering currently

• 19-03-2019 5:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

I did undenominated engineering first year, and then - on an absolute whim - went for Civil.

Huge mistake.

But at the time, it was between civil and mechanical - and mechanical had labs 2 evenings a week - which ate into my extra curricular activities, so I went for civil.

But now, being more in touch with, you know - the progression of humanity and direction its heading, doing something that was more computer and computer science heavy - should have been an obvious choice.

That being said - I did 1 semester of CS in 1st year, C++ and Fortran - just like all the rest of ya'll did - and it made me hate my life;

But you know - I think that's most people - until they get their head around it.

So - what's it like getting a job in the electronic engineering area??

Long hours, work places, work conditions, salaries etc??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Not loads of jobs in Ireland and most of them looking for very senior folks and most of them are in Dublin to boot.

Ireland doesn't have a great indigenous electronics industry. Hard to blame them because there is so much money to be made by sitting at your desk with a cup of tea while you wait for stuff to come in from Shenzhen to resell at a huge margin. Look at this crowd for example: https://www.ephcontrols.com/about-us/meet-the-team/

A fairly sizeable team but only two that do anything technical. Too many soft jobs around. You can make decent money apparently if you have 5-7 years designing FPGAs for RF stuff but entry level jobs for that kind of thing are almost non existent

Advertisement