Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apollo 11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So I saw Neon and was like.. oh so a hyper violent film bout the moon landings.. :D

but then I gave the trailer a watch and saw it's a documentary

The thing that really jumped off the screen at me was how clear the picture was

For decades, I've seen old video footage from before I was born but I can't remember seeing picture look so clear and sharp

I'm guessing they must have done some restoration there. Looks like a top notch job.

Still a documentary though so not sure how much of an audience they'd expect to pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

Remember the Launch scene in First Man with the exterior shots of the Saturn V going supersonic and after the first staging?
    That was real footage of Apollo 11. It was discovered as part of the 70mm footage which has been used for this documentary and incorporated into First Man as it's so clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Can’t wait to see this movie about the biggest deception ever sold on mankind. Amazing that they have all the earth footage but of course the original video “moon” footage was conviently LOST!!!! so we can’t have a laugh at these bozos jumping 1 foot in the air , in one sixth gravity to earth (they should have been jumping 10 feet in the air). I wonder will they bring up the fact that the moon rocks (haha) that nasa presented to a Dutch museum turned out to be petrified wood. Will they admit no Hollywood movie has ever as much as touched depicting their story featuring the actors actually walking on the moon as it would instantly shine a mirror to their big moon landing lie.
    Will this new movie discuss why we have not returned to the moon since 1972!!! Oooh sorry it would be too expensive (even though it’s admitted by buzz ‘liar’ Aldrink that Apollo had tech same as a pocket calculator) ??? Oh sure why would we go back as we have already been there ???? (That’s why China needed to lie they are going to embark on a man mission to the moon)
    If it smells of sh1t then it’s always sh1t. That’s what this entire “event” was. Inhale ..... puke

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

I am really looking foward to seeing this in the cinema. I heard the footage after take off maybot as good due to the camera on the ground were different to the camera when in space. I really enjoyed First Man.

If you are a big Apollo 11 fan like me you might be interested to know about the following :

1. a company in waterford have created an Apollo 11 Virtual Reality experience which you can buy and download off the internet. They have won loads of awards for it and i would highly recommend it.

http://immersivevreducation.com/apollo-11-vr/

I’ve played it on the Oculus Rift (you will need a gaming spec pc) and the standalone Oculus GO device and its really cool. Its also available on Playstation VR..... i haven't played that.

2. You can buy an apollo mission Saturn V lego rocket with all the bits and bobs you would expect. This is super cool.
    https://shop.lego.com/en-IE/product/LEGO-NASA-Apollo-Saturn-V-21309

3. Some really good YouTube channels that cover topics about the Apollo 11 missions and other space realted stuff.

Vintage Space
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw95T_TgbGHhTml4xZ9yIqg

Scott Manly
    https://youtu.be/-_d_GvpV41c

Curious Droid
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC726J5A0LLFRxQ0SZqr2mYQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

dalyboy wrote: »
    Can’t wait to see this movie about the biggest deception ever sold on mankind. Amazing that they have all the earth footage but of course the original video “moon” footage was conviently LOST!!!! so we can’t have a laugh at these bozos jumping 1 foot in the air , in one sixth gravity to earth (they should have been jumping 10 feet in the air). I wonder will they bring up the fact that the moon rocks (haha) that nasa presented to a Dutch museum turned out to be petrified wood. Will they admit no Hollywood movie has ever as much as touched depicting their story featuring the actors actually walking on the moon as it would instantly shine a mirror to their big moon landing lie.
    Will this new movie discuss why we have not returned to the moon since 1972!!! Oooh sorry it would be too expensive (even though it’s admitted by buzz ‘liar’ Aldrink that Apollo had tech same as a pocket calculator) ??? Oh sure why would we go back as we have already been there ???? (That’s why China needed to lie they are going to embark on a man mission to the moon)
    If it smells of sh1t then it’s always sh1t. That’s what this entire “event” was. Inhale ..... puke

Conspiracy Forum is that way
    >

The President of the United States was incapable of keeping an affair with an intern a secret and yet 20% of Americans believe that one of the biggest engineering feats in history, funded by tax payer dollars, at it's peak involving 400,000 personnel and completed in view of the watching world was a government conspiracy. Humans, given their nature, have a tendency to talk and it's very much suprising that almost half a million of them collectively decided to kept schtum about such an iconic event in history for half a century and counting. :pac:

It's easy to forget what a big deal the Apollo missions were back in the 1960's. This documentary will give us some awesome sense of the scale such an operation required. I'd liken Nasa in the early 60's as a runner who just finished a 10km run and is then shocked after getting informed by their employer that they must complete an Ironman triathlon in one year's time. They would slowly go from thinking it was not actually possible in such a time frame to focusing their attention on that goal and getting everything organised to allow for them to finish such an arduous task. They wouldn't need to break any records, or have perfect form, they would just need to cross the finish line safely.

And on not going back? Apollo 'went' first in 1968 and then, get this, went back three times in 1969, once in 1970, twice in 1971 and twice again in 1972. Remember in the Simpsons, when George Harrison pulled up in a limo and saw The B-Sharps play 'Baby of Board' on the roof of Moe's Tavern? His response was a knowing "...it's been done"

I get a giggle out of the Apollo hoaxers and should know better to bite but it can all be readily explained through a toxic cocktail of general ignorance of physics in space, a very understandable and ingrained hatred and apathetic attitude towards maths and engineering, coupled with a healthy mix of personality disorders with chips on their shoulders, who at best always think they are right and at worst, must always be right. You'd be surprised how many people can't give a general, high level overview of how everyday things like car engines, radio etc work. Scale that indifference up to something like ground tracking of a spacecrafts state vector in deep space and watch people's boredom and indifference become palpable. It also provides fertile soil for people who sound like they know what they're talking about but are purposefully hoodwinking gullible people with what can only be described as plausible bull****. Debating with or trying to ably explain the how of Apollo to such people is an exercise in futility. They believe it never happened and so that's that.

How Apollo was accomplished is taken for granted. We must also remember the Gemini missions which perfected orbital rendezvous and validated long duration flights as well as the ranger, surveyor, orbiter missions which perfected the ground tracking trajectories all of which were prerequisites for Apollo.

We pigeonhole people with an interest in such things as geeks, nerds etc. I can appreciate how a car engine works, I can't service it for you but I can grasp how it works. I can sit in my car and I can grasp how I can hear the DJ's voice. Don't ask me to do the maths to explain it but I can intuitively understand how. In the same vein I, and the people looking forward to this documentary, can accept and appreciate how Apollo went from a launch pad in Florida to the moon and back to the Pacific ocean. You don't need a Phd in Astrophysics to grasp how that happened. If you can appreciate that an object by it's nature can fall, then you are capable of grasping how first Apollo fell 'up' and then fell all the way back down to earth. With style. To throw it 'up' required the most powerful machine ever devised and to get the crew down to and 'up' from the lunar surface required a machine with a face only an engineer could love but it didn't need to be beautiful, it just needed to work. In this doc we'll get to see both those machines in glorious 70mm.

When we watch this documentary we can begin to grasp how engineer's in the 60's utilized and expanded on centuries of scientific, mathematical and engineering knowledge to accomplish a lunar orbit only sixty five years after the first human powered flight. The following year after the lunar module was thoroughly checked out, first in earth orbit (Apollo 9) and then in lunar orbit (Apollo 10) the Apollo 11 crew landed the craft on the moon. We will appreciate the laser like focus Apollo demanded from the litany of engineers, technicians and support crew in order to meet their deadline.

I readily believe some people can't accept that other people are really smart and through human ingenuity such achievements as a lunar landing were able to become a reality going from an engineering dream to the goal of a cold war era superpower. Never underestimate what is possible and what can be achieved through a winning combination of clever people, unlimited funds and a deadline. In today's media age, engineers (aka "boffins") successfully landing the Rosetta probe get's overshadowed by one of the scientists wearing an inappropriate, offensive shirt with that making the headlines, garnering attention, and not the ingenuity and sheer awe of how a probe was landed on a Comet! travelling at 55,000 kph.

The proponents who fuel the conspiracy also need to be called out because they are all too happy to exploit the general public's ignorance outlined above. The one's who produce evidence of the hoax are the snake oil salesmen. They are the one's who know Apollo was reality, who have the working knowledge but who manipulate and lure in those susceptible to big conspiracies but who lack the basic acumen to recognise the hoodwinking. The Apollo hoax is an industry unto itself and all those books, hoaxer exhibition events and revenue based youtube videos are big money spinners. Their evidence of a conspiracy has been debunked ad nauseum by the scientific community but that is not going to stop anytime soon and these nefarious people are only too happy to line their pockets pronouncing that the Apollo missions never happened. The sad part is that more and more young people will continue to be baffled, confused by and let down by rote learning of Mathematics and Science which will wrongly foster in them a fear of these subjects leading to the general ignorance (the 20%) outlined above which in turn will perpetuate the Apollo hoax nonsense.

valoren wrote: »
    Conspiracy Forum is that way
    >

The President of the United States was incapable of keeping an affair with an intern a secret and yet 20% of Americans believe that one of the biggest engineering feats in history, funded by tax payer dollars, at it's peak involving 400,000 personnel and completed in view of the watching world was a government conspiracy. Humans, given their nature, have a tendency to talk and it's very much suprising that almost half a million of them collectively decided to kept schtum about such an iconic event in history for half a century and counting. :pac:

It's easy to forget what a big deal the Apollo missions were back in the 1960's. This documentary will give us some awesome sense of the scale such an operation required. I'd liken Nasa in the early 60's as a runner who just finished a 10km run and is then shocked after getting informed by their employer that they must complete an Ironman triathlon in one year's time. They would slowly go from thinking it was not actually possible in such a time frame to focusing their attention on that goal and getting everything organised to allow for them to finish such an arduous task. They wouldn't need to break any records, or have perfect form, they would just need to cross the finish line safely.

And on not going back? Apollo 'went' first in 1968 and then, get this, went back three times in 1969, once in 1970, twice in 1971 and twice again in 1972. Remember in the Simpsons, when George Harrison pulled up in a limo and saw The B-Sharps play 'Baby of Board' on the roof of Moe's Tavern? His response was a knowing "...it's been done"

I get a giggle out of the Apollo hoaxers and should know better to bite but it can all be readily explained through a toxic cocktail of general ignorance of physics in space, a very understandable and ingrained hatred and apathetic attitude towards maths and engineering, coupled with a healthy mix of personality disorders with chips on their shoulders, who at best always think they are right and at worst, must always be right. You'd be surprised how many people can't give a general, high level overview of how everyday things like car engines, radio etc work. Scale that indifference up to something like ground tracking of a spacecrafts state vector in deep space and watch people's boredom and indifference become palpable. It also provides fertile soil for people who sound like they know what they're talking about but are purposefully hoodwinking gullible people with what can only be described as plausible bull****. Debating with or trying to ably explain the how of Apollo to such people is an exercise in futility. They believe it never happened and so that's that.

How Apollo was accomplished, not forgetting the Gemini missions for orbital rendezvous- long duration flight-dress rehearsals, is taken for granted and we pigeonhole people with an interest in such things as geeks, nerds etc. I can appreciate how a car engine works, I can't service it for you but I can grasp how it works. I can sit in my car and I can grasp how I can hear the DJ's voice. Don't ask me to do the maths to explain it but I can intuitively understand how. In the same vein I, and the people looking forward to this documentary, can accept and appreciate how Apollo went from a launch pad in Florida to the moon and back to the Pacific ocean. You don't need a Phd in Astrophysics to grasp how that happened. If you can appreciate that an object by it's nature can fall, then you are capable of grasping how first Apollo fell 'up' and then fell all the way back down to earth. With style. To throw it 'up' required the most powerful machine ever devised and to get the crew down to and 'up' from the lunar surface required a machine with a face only an engineer could love but it didn't need to be beautiful, it just needed to work. In this doc we'll get to see both those machines in 70mm.

When we watch this documentary we can begin to grasp how engineer's in the 60's utilized and expanded on centuries of scientific, mathematical and engineering knowledge to accomplish a lunar orbit only sixty five years after the first human powered flight. The following year after the lunar module was thoroughly checked out, first in earth orbit (Apollo 9) and then in lunar orbit (Apollo 10) the Apollo 11 crew landed the craft on the moon. We will appreciate the laser like focus Apollo demanded from the litany of engineers, technicians and support crew in order to meet their deadline.

I readily believe some people can't accept that other people are really smart and through human ingenuity such achievements as a lunar landing were able to become a reality going from an engineering dream to the goal of a cold war era superpower. Never underestimate what is possible and what can be achieved through a winning combination of clever people, unlimited funds and a deadline. In today's media age, engineers (aka "boffins") successfully landing the Rosetta probe get's overshadowed by one of the scientists wearing an inappropriate, offensive shirt with that making the headlines and not the ingenuity of how a probe was landed on a Comet!

The proponents who fuel the conspiracy also need to be called out because they are all too happy to exploit the general public's ignorance outlined above. The one's who produce evidence of the hoax are the snake oil salesmen. They are the one's who know Apollo was reality, who have the working knowledge but who manipulate and lure in those susceptible to big conspiracies but lack the basic acumen to recognise the hoodwinking. The Apollo hoax is an industry unto itself and all those books, hoaxer exhibition events and revenue based youtube videos are big money spinners. Their evidence of a conspiracy has been debunked ad nauseum by the scientific community but that is not going to stop anytime soon and these nefarious people are only too happy to line their pockets pronouncing that the Apollo missions never happened. The sad part is that more and more young people will continue to be baffled, confused by and let down by rote learning of Mathematics and Science which will wrongly foster in them a fear of these subjects leading to the general ignorance (the 20%) outlined above which in turn will perpetuate the Apollo hoax nonsense.

I don't bother replying to these inbeciles. Far right nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Valoren, I would have thanked your post twice if I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

This documentary started out to be a straight telling of the Apollo 11 story apparently, but in the old footage they were going through, they found all the various rejected reels and scenes that proved definitively that the moon landing was a superbly elaborate hoax, done with the almost unlimited funds from the US govt. But they were got at some time last year by very dark forces and forced to trot out the familiar orthodox story.

Much of the Gemini project was certainly genuine, but when it became clear they would lose the race to the russians, and not get a man to the moon by the end of the decade, the Apollo project switched tack and engaged movie industry techniques, developed many more that we see in mainstream movies today, and pull of the all -time greatest con trick.

In my view, there is good evidence Apollo 17 was genuine, its greatest technical challenge being to complete it within the restraints of what had been faked in 11 so that people would not smell a rat.

I am undecided at the moment on whether the rumoured version of this latest film that does include the rejected footage from the hoax and reveal it once and for all, really exists. It will probably surface unoficially at some stage during the upcoming release, but I think those of us who watch the official release with open minds will be able to spot the flaws in it anyway.

Really, really, really looking forward to this movie.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Any ideas on a release date in Ireland yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 LGadd14

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Any ideas on a release date in Ireland yet?

June 29th apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

LGadd14 wrote: »
    June 29th apparently.
    What is your source? I can't find any details online about an Irish cinema release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LGadd14

What is your source? I can't find any details online about an Irish cinema release date.
    I frequently look at the UK Film Distributors' Association's website which has a rundown of release dates for the year, and Apollo 11 is listed for June 28th. That may change of course.
    https://www.launchingfilms.com/release-schedule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Looks rubbish another scfi prequel no way can it live up to Apollo 13.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Heading to the IFI at the end of June: https://ifi.ie/apollo-11/

Digital screening. Was hoping for 70mm in the IFI, but maybe that's not available.

Goodshape wrote:
    Digital screening. Was hoping for 70mm in the IFI, but maybe that's not available.

Yeah its a pity to restore all that 70mm then release it as digital only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

this is absolutely stunning. Superbly put together, and plays more like a film than a documentary. gripping stuff and the footage they found is unbelievable. Feels like i was there, and the heart is still racing.

Looking forward to watching this tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Is it the end of June ? What did I miss ?

Is it the end of June ? What did I miss ?

It’s up on iTunes US to buy or rent.

• Advertisement

Only place to see it is the cinema, waste to watch restored 35 and 70mm on tv.

Only place to see it is the cinema, waste to watch restored 35 and 70mm on tv.

Have a 130inch screen and projector at home that will have to do

• Registered Users Posts: 33 buser2x

I can't wait to see this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just to get this out of the way: the space and moon stuff is obviously some of the most important footage ever captured by man. Even in its grainy, low-fi form they're some of the most iconic, historic images we'll ever see. It's well edited together here, with smart decisions like allowing the actual landing play out in a single, one-angle shot.

Now that that's out of the way, let's talk about the real good stuff: the ground footage :p

It's strange to come out of a documentary about humanity's most significant space achievement and just want to rave about the footage shot on Earth. But it's that good. It's a miracle of 70mm cinematography and a triumph of restoration. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say you could mistake it for having been shot yesterday, and if it was shot yesterday it'd still be goddamn breathtaking. Edited together, it's great immersive cinema - capturing the mood and images of an historic couple of days with a clarity that one wouldn't have thought possible.

As a documentarian, Todd Douglas Miller doesn't have to do a whole lot, and he mercifully and wisely completely cuts out unnecessary crap like talking heads or excess interjections (the odd lo-tech graphical insert is all you really get in that sense, and a smartly brief background montage on the astronauts). This is just the footage, presented in the straightforward, undiluted way it deserves (a little bit of 'woo America!' stuff aside, but not as grating as it could've been). Split-screen is used wisely. The sound design is seat rockingly good, although the music drifts between fitting and overwrought. But really you're here for that ludicrous, luscious image clarity - and it delivers superbly.

I made the rare decision to splash out on the Cineworld IMAX, knowingly full well it's not proper IMAX. But this is perhaps the only time I'll ever recommend this: you should consider it too if you at all can, as this truly is a rare case of bigger and louder is better. While I'm still a cinema disciple, I'm equally aware saying things like 'you have to see it in a cinema!' runs the very real risk of being elitist - not everyone likes or has easy access to a good cinema. So I don't say this lightly: if you can see it in a cinema, it's really the only way to see it. This film's very particular power is seeing familiar and iconic imagery displaying on a massive screen, while the sound shakes the seats. That's what this film has to offer above the plethora of other documentaries and films that recount this particular piece of history, so if you at all can do consider getting out there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tony Palmer made a documentary about Apollo 11 to mark the 10th anniversary "the Space Movie", it would be interesting to put the two side by side. Probably looks very creaky now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Is this being shown outside Dublin by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

homah_7ft wrote: »
    Is this being shown outside Dublin by any chance?

I would try an art-house cinema if there is any near you. Its not been shown in any of the big cinema chains in Dublin yet anyway. Only the Lighthouse and the IFI have it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well it’s in Cineworld as well as that’s where I saw it ;)

Edit: Screenings listed on the official website. It’s showing in Cork for sure at the moment. Screening in Limerick on July 22nd, and maybe a Galway screening next week?

https://www.apollo11movie.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Edit: Screenings listed on the official website. It’s showing in Cork for sure at the moment. Screening in Limerick on July 22nd, and maybe a Galway screening next week?

https://www.apollo11movie.co.uk/

Was just thinking that as I was heading to bed last night. I wonder is Cineworld showing it. Did you see it in the IMax screen and if so is it worth it? Funny because years ago Cineworld would have been the first cinema I think of for going to see a film now its relegated to an afterthought.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

AMKC wrote: »
    Was just thinking that as I was heading to bed last night. I wonder is Cineworld showing it. Did you see it in the IMax screen and if so is it worth it? Funny because years ago Cineworld would have been the first cinema I think of for going to see a film now its relegated to an afterthought.

See Johnny Ultimate's post from last night where he recommended seeing it in IMAX.

Advertisement